+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Embassy in Toronto - US visa appnts

bear joules

Sep 26, 2022
Hi , it took 3 days of searching, when all of 2023 dates were filled and the system informed no more appointment dates they open up 2022 available dates ,i was checking like every 3 hours for 3 days.

Did you get 221g , i had the same status , refused , approved then issued , the administrative processing they could ask for in person interview or they will just ran a backgroud check , everything clear they will approve.
I am checking every hour honestly.. sometimes every half hour, but no luck.
They have regular appointments open but follow up appointments are not open until Oct 2023. Fingers crossed I get something soon for 2022.

chemrea

Apr 21, 2018
Hi , it took 3 days of searching, when all of 2023 dates were filled and the system informed no more appointment dates they open up 2022 available dates ,i was checking like every 3 hours for 3 days.

Did you get 221g , i had the same status , refused , approved then issued , the administrative processing they could ask for in person interview or they will just ran a backgroud check , everything clear they will approve.
Yes, I got 221g. I guess, the background check is still ongoing. But, it has taken too long. How long did it take for your administrative processing period?

gagansekhon

Star Member
Jul 3, 2019
Hi everyone, Im new to forum.
I applied for my tourist Visa for US and want to know if there is way we can check the status online.
My appointment date is December 2023.

cara269

Mar 23, 2018
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Yes, I got 221g. I guess, the background check is still ongoing. But, it has taken too long. How long did it take for your administrative processing period?
After my in person interview to verify my PR card and email my workplace , 3 weeks ,guess they dont do the search after the interview but i did a search it takes maximum 60 days.

Hi everyone, Im new to forum.
I applied for my tourist Visa for US and want to know if there is way we can check the status online.
My appointment date is December 2023.
CEAC
https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx

Non Immigrate Visa
your location
case number
code
then submit

Last edited:

saaammm

Oct 4, 2022
Hi all! First off I just wanted to say how much of a relief it is, reading some of the stories in here and all the helpful discussion. If anyone has some time, I'd love to share my experience and current situation and hear if anyone can provide any insight.

a few weeks ago I got an approved petition for an O1-A visa to work in the united states as an executive for a tech startup

I checked the NIV website each day to land an interview at the Toronto Consulate, and was able to find one for earlier this week

I showed up first thing in the morning with all my documents ready (DS160 confirmation, barcode, original i797 approved petition, and a binder of a copy of the o1-a petition that was like 300+ pages)..

Up until this point, I read a ton of confusing information regarding the proper steps to take after getting an approved O1-A. The official instructions were for me to go to the Consulate, but anecdotally I had friends who said they took their approved petition and went right to the POE. Once I got to the first booth at the Consulate right before finger prints and interview, the lady looked at me and said "hey for next time, just know that O1-A petitions can go right to the POE, you don't need to be here"

Of course at that point it was too late so I proceeded with the interview, one that I was anticipating would be lengthy, where the consular officer would review the o1 petition that got me approved in the first place, ask some questions about it, then ideally approve and issue the visa.

However, what I think happened, is the consulate officer didn't even look at the petition, but rather pulled up the DS160 form which didn't really show off any of the required accomplishments I had attained over the years that would have justified an O1 status. The DS160 really just shows my university education (undergrad), and my current and previous employment that doesn't include any details aside from start/end dates and a few other minor things.

So, after being asked 2-3 standard questions after about 3 minutes, I'm told my application is refused due to administrative processing, then later that day I got an email for a Microsoft equvialent to google forms, asking all the questions for a DS5535.

I'm frustrated as I think what happened is the consular officer ignored my petition, just looked at the ds160, saw that I was young and only had undegrad experience, then defaulted to requiring more info.

SHould I have done anything differently? Such as mail in my petition beforehand instead of bringing it with me to the interview? He didn't even ask for it.

Last question, I'm ready to submit the DS5535 form now electronically through that google form style method, does anyone have a rough idea as to how long I can expect it's going to take to hear back from them regarding their next steps? Would these steps involve another interview, potentially sending my petition etc? Or am I near the finish line and it's just a matter of filling this out then hopefully getting instructions to submit my passport.

ANY information on this would be super helpful as I'd really like to get started on my job in the united states, I had found a great lead on a lease that I was approved for, but now I have no idea what the timeline is (whether we're talking weeks, months etc).

Thanks in advance!

saaammm

Oct 4, 2022
My H1B Dropbox experience with Toronto Consulate.
Canadian PR, First time H1B stamping

- Application sent August 29th
- Application received Sep 1st
- Approved - Sep 1st
- Issued - Sep 6th
- Tracking no. activated - Sep 7th
- Passport received - Sep 8th

Docs sent -

1. DS-160 confirmation page
2. mail-in instructions
3. Courier Label page 2
4. i797 Notice of Action copy
5. LCA copy
6. 1 photo with given specification
7. Old and new passport
8. PR card copy
9. DL copy
10. Offer letter from Employer

Good luck!
Hey - quick question for you. In your "docs sent" list you mentioned, are you saying you mailed in a copy of the i797 and the other listed documents, BEFORE your consulate interview? and literally just mailed it in? And if so, did they have those documents on-hand when you conducted the interview? Did you do that pro-actively or were you instructed to do so?

Thanks!

saaammm

Oct 4, 2022
hi,

are the visa appointment wait time mentioned in https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/wait-times.html accurate?
I am location agnostic within Canada, but I suspect the information in the above link is out dated or not accurate. Is anyone able to say what are the latest waiting times for different US consulates in Canada? Ideally I want an appointment within 2022.

I am starting to fill DS-160. I wonder if the location you select at the start can be changed after you make appointment.
Hey! Don't get scared about the long wait times. when I first applied and paid the fees, the closest one was in like 7 months. I checked back every single day randomly, sometimes twice per day and after a week of doing that, one popped up only like 10-12 days away for the location I wanted. So keep checking! And you have up until like 3 days before the interview to reschedudle. The web app they've built actually works quite well.

Reactions: prav12

cara269

Mar 23, 2018
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Hi all! First off I just wanted to say how much of a relief it is, reading some of the stories in here and all the helpful discussion. If anyone has some time, I'd love to share my experience and current situation and hear if anyone can provide any insight.

a few weeks ago I got an approved petition for an O1-A visa to work in the united states as an executive for a tech startup

I checked the NIV website each day to land an interview at the Toronto Consulate, and was able to find one for earlier this week

I showed up first thing in the morning with all my documents ready (DS160 confirmation, barcode, original i797 approved petition, and a binder of a copy of the o1-a petition that was like 300+ pages)..

Up until this point, I read a ton of confusing information regarding the proper steps to take after getting an approved O1-A. The official instructions were for me to go to the Consulate, but anecdotally I had friends who said they took their approved petition and went right to the POE. Once I got to the first booth at the Consulate right before finger prints and interview, the lady looked at me and said "hey for next time, just know that O1-A petitions can go right to the POE, you don't need to be here"

Of course at that point it was too late so I proceeded with the interview, one that I was anticipating would be lengthy, where the consular officer would review the o1 petition that got me approved in the first place, ask some questions about it, then ideally approve and issue the visa.

However, what I think happened, is the consulate officer didn't even look at the petition, but rather pulled up the DS160 form which didn't really show off any of the required accomplishments I had attained over the years that would have justified an O1 status. The DS160 really just shows my university education (undergrad), and my current and previous employment that doesn't include any details aside from start/end dates and a few other minor things.

So, after being asked 2-3 standard questions after about 3 minutes, I'm told my application is refused due to administrative processing, then later that day I got an email for a Microsoft equvialent to google forms, asking all the questions for a DS5535.

I'm frustrated as I think what happened is the consular officer ignored my petition, just looked at the ds160, saw that I was young and only had undegrad experience, then defaulted to requiring more info.

SHould I have done anything differently? Such as mail in my petition beforehand instead of bringing it with me to the interview? He didn't even ask for it.

Last question, I'm ready to submit the DS5535 form now electronically through that google form style method, does anyone have a rough idea as to how long I can expect it's going to take to hear back from them regarding their next steps? Would these steps involve another interview, potentially sending my petition etc? Or am I near the finish line and it's just a matter of filling this out then hopefully getting instructions to submit my passport.

ANY information on this would be super helpful as I'd really like to get started on my job in the united states, I had found a great lead on a lease that I was approved for, but now I have no idea what the timeline is (whether we're talking weeks, months etc).

Thanks in advance!
Don't wry too much they running a background check and verifying you documents that's the Admin process . No more in person interview, after about 8 working days check to see if its approved then its will be issued . The DS5535 is just a lil more info they want from you , missing family and spouse info.

saaammm

Oct 4, 2022
Don't wry too much they running a background check and verifying you documents that's the Admin process . No more in person interview, after about 8 working days check to see if its approved then its will be issued . The DS5535 is just a lil more info they want from you , missing family and spouse info.
Okay good to know thank you! I just submitted and it said "thanks for submitting etc", but I didn't receive an auto-response email/confirmation. Is that normal?

And you think from the time I just submitted the form (just now), it'll only take like 8-10 business days to hear back? Would the next step potentially be that they request more files via a dropbox link? Or that they just send instructions where to send my passport?

Thanks again!!

cara269

Mar 23, 2018
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Yes normal no response, yes it will take those days to verify you additional DS5535 info , just wait now

sufi_sufi_sufi

Sep 14, 2021
I have a quick question. I applied for my Us B1 B2 Visa few days ago finally got a better appointment after changing a few.
I remmeber after interview it does not take alot of time.
.23 Jan is my interview how long does it take to get passport back.
I applied US embassy Vancouver. I remmber was t days just want to confirm as I want to fly 8 Feb.
Let me know how long it took for everyone after the interview. Thia ia my second time applying first visa just got expired.

cara269

Mar 23, 2018
Ontario
Category........
FAM
I have a quick question. I applied for my Us B1 B2 Visa few days ago finally got a better appointment after changing a few.
I remmeber after interview it does not take alot of time.
.23 Jan is my interview how long does it take to get passport back.
I applied US embassy Vancouver. I remmber was t days just want to confirm as I want to fly 8 Feb.
Let me know how long it took for everyone after the interview. Thia ia my second time applying first visa just got expired.
It took me 8 working days to get back PP with the renew B1 B2 stamped visa ,in Toronto

Ritu Sudhera

Sep 12, 2019
I had my us b1/b2 interview on 6 April 22 with Vancouver consulate. They approved it and kept my passport. Then after 2 days I received DS5355 form asking usual questions. I responded same day. Since then, no updates from them. On inquiring on they said its still under AP.
Anyone having similar experience please share your timeline?
or anything else that can help?

saaammm

Oct 4, 2022
Hey all! I just got a request from the Toronto Consulate to courier ship (via their dedicated courier) to the consulate for visa issuance. I'll be shipping it from Calgary to Toronto consulate, then changed the pick up location (where the consulate sends my passport when they're one) to Calgary.

Any experience on how long I can expect from the day I submit it to the courier, to when I can expect to go pick it up? I imagine maybe a few days more considering it's getting shipped across the country. However, any insight here is helpful as I'm bouncing all over the place with travel plans so I'd love to know or be able to anticipate how long it will take. They didn't ask for any documents outside of just my passport so I assume it's as simple as them getting it and processing it, but I have read that you can't inquire about the status until after 6 weeks or something so I just want to make sure it's not going to take ages.