+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Citizen Marrying a Canadian Citizen in Canada.....HELP!!

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
blueangel371115 said:
husband is a Canadian citizen.

She should also review NAFTA qualifications to see if she qualifies for a NAFTA work visa.

As my wedding approaches I'm nervous. We are getting married in October in a civil ceremony then the reception is in Canada a few hours later. Then I'd like to visit after, during the pr process. . Since I won't have submitted the documents but I intend to, what should we tell them? My fiance will be driving.
He should tell them he wants to take you up to celebrate with his family. If they ask about PR status, he should tell them he knows about the process and will turn in the paperwork after he gets the marriage license.

blueangel371115

Champion Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
13-01-2014
Doc's Request.
10-02-2014
AOR Received.
17-07-2014
File Transfer...
17-07-2014
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2015 (returned 1/19 due to errors), 26-01-2015
LANDED..........
05-02-2015 Finally
Cool. I will let him know. That's what we had planned to say but we wanted to check. We have said things similar before when asked our intent before but I wanted to make sure ;)

chessnut1087

Jan 30, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-04-2014
As for packing up and moving to Canada right after the wedding, I DO NOT recommend this. I am in the process of being sponsored at the moment as a "spouse". I have made over 12 trips this past year to visit my husband in Canada and was always given a 6-month visitor visa. However, on this trip I just made, I was only given an 8-day visitor visa because the officer suspected that maybe I would not leave Canada (even though I had a return ticket for one week later). If you move to Canada and you decide to go to the USA to visit, and you give up your house and everything down there, if you get a short visa because of this suspicion, you will be screwed. I recommend sending the paperwork immediately after the wedding and staying in the USA till you get your PR card.

Many people forget that just because you CAN get a 6-month visitor visa, doesn't mean that you WILL or are entitled to one. Do you want to risk having to constantly get on and off of planes for the entire process?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chessnut1087 said:
As for packing up and moving to Canada right after the wedding, I DO NOT recommend this. I am in the process of being sponsored at the moment as a "spouse". I have made over 12 trips this past year to visit my husband in Canada and was always given a 6-month visitor visa. However, on this trip I just made, I was only given an 8-day visitor visa because the officer suspected that maybe I would not leave Canada (even though I had a return ticket for one week later). If you move to Canada and you decide to go to the USA to visit, and you give up your house and everything down there, if you get a short visa because of this suspicion, you will be screwed. I recommend sending the paperwork immediately after the wedding and staying in the USA till you get your PR card.

Many people forget that just because you CAN get a 6-month visitor visa, doesn't mean that you WILL or are entitled to one. Do you want to risk having to constantly get on and off of planes for the entire process?
You always have to consider that it is at the discretion of the immigration officer if they let you enter at all or for how long they give you. You can stay in Canada by extending your visit visa but each time you travel, you take a risk. For you, it worked out well 11 times out of 12.

If you apply inland, it is not recommended to travel during the processing time at all. For outland, it's ok because you wouldn't lose your application but you have to be prepared that if they don't let you enter at some point, you may have to stay outside until your PR is approved.

With your 8 day visit visa, you can still sit tight in Canada and apply to extend. You have implied status until you hear back. If they say no, you'd have to leave.

olevar

Mar 20, 2014
Leon said:
You always have to consider that it is at the discretion of the immigration officer if they let you enter at all or for how long they give you. You can stay in Canada by extending your visit visa but each time you travel, you take a risk. For you, it worked out well 11 times out of 12.

If you apply inland, it is not recommended to travel during the processing time at all. For outland, it's ok because you wouldn't lose your application but you have to be prepared that if they don't let you enter at some point, you may have to stay outside until your PR is approved.

With your 8 day visit visa, you can still sit tight in Canada and apply to extend. You have implied status until you hear back. If they say no, you'd have to leave.
Right. when my spouse's visitor pass was about to end, she applied to extend it. Since it would expire before she'd get the extension approval, they said she'd have "implied status". But thats months ago and she's back in the states.

but for clarification, if my spouse is in canada on an open work permit, whether that permit expires or not, we can begin the application for sponsorship, and for the duration of the process of that, she would/should remain in Canada, Correct? Would it be faster if she did it outland as well? And if the work permit were to expire, is there a certain deadline for when we should begin the sponsorship?

jaybussi01

May 26, 2021
I want to return back home to Canada to see my wife we got married on Oct 5 2019 while i was there then i had to go back to the us to get my paperwork but i want a faster way to go back how do i do that and she lives in Canada with a copy of our Marriage Certificate

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I want to return back home to Canada to see my wife we got married on Oct 5 2019 while i was there then i had to go back to the us to get my paperwork but i want a faster way to go back how do i do that and she lives in Canada with a copy of our Marriage Certificate
What? Could you explain a little more? What was/is your status in Canada?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I was a Visitor for a year then we got married and are trying to make it Permeant for me to stay up there with her
You will get more useful advice if you can be concrete. You moved in July 2019, stayed for a year - were you ever out of status? So you have not been ot Canada since July 2020?

See above - you may be able to enter based on marriage to Canadian (immediate family member exemption from travel restrictions).

jaybussi01

May 26, 2021
I and My Wife were looking into doing the Sponsorship but we both can't afford it with her being on Disability and I am Unemployed and she has the marriage certificate with her I don't have a copy of it cause we got it done before I had to Voluntary Leave Canada