+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Citizen Marrying a Canadian Citizen in Canada.....HELP!!

mcbride05

Jul 10, 2009
I am currently engaged to a Canadian citizen. I am a U.S. citizen. Our plan was to have the wedding in Canada and for me to just stay in Canada after the wedding and for her to immediately put in the sponsorship paperwork so I can stay in Canada.

I have heard that I can't go up to Canada with the intentions of staying but how else would we be able to pull this off?

I have heard that I can go up with the intentions of staying but I have to declare my intentions at the border.

The last thing I want is to be denied entry into Canada days before my wedding and have to postpone the wedding.

How do people get married in Canada and stay in Canada after the wedding....what is the border crossing like? The only thing I am bringing is my Car which still is not fully paid off, not sure if that causes problem, and clothes. I'm not bringing a Uhaul of anything.

If I go back to the states after the wedding and she files an out of country sponsorship, can I then come back to Canada while that is processing and plan to stay there for good?

I just want to get married in Canada and stay there with my then wife. Please help!!

mich21

Jul 7, 2009
Valleyfield, Qc. Canada
I bring my fiance from china whit visiting visas and get wedding here in canada and we apply for her for get permanente residence and extension visas so i dont see why you can't not do same and for you more easy you dont need visas for come canada.

When she come in canada we ask directly she come for stay her and just go back in china for go visite his familly, to border they ask why she dont have air ticket for return back in china. Now we get married and waiting for answer from office of cic.

Good luck to you

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you are from the US, it's better for you to apply outland. You can still be in Canada even though you apply outland and it's faster. When you come to get married, it's best not to say you are getting married, say you are going to visit your girlfriend. After you get married, you can apply outland right away. You can give a mailing address in Canada even though you ask for your file to be processed in your home country. You can expect to have PR in 5 to 10 months. If you are still in Canada after 5 months and nothing has happened yet, you can apply to extend your visit status to keep yourself legal in Canada. If you want to, you can also travel back and forth to the US while you wait for your PR.

If you apply inland, you would send in your visit visa extension and application for open work permit with your inland application and you could expect the work permit with your first stage approval in 5-6 months, PR in 1-2 years. However, that is if all goes well. If something goes wrong, you get sent to local office without first stage approval and depending on their workload, may have to wait up to 2 or 3 years to get your interview and work permit. You are also not advised to leave Canada while you do inland because if you can't get back in or they find out you're not there anymore, you can lose your application. There are people who apply inland and get their work permit in 5 months and PR by 10 months but there are also people who apply inland and are still waiting, stuck in Canada without a work permit 4 years later.

mcbride05

Jul 10, 2009
What about if I got married in Canada, then left to go back to the US. Then submitted my outland PR application. Could I then go back into Canada while it was being processed?

It also says that I can't submit a PR application until the application for my sponsorship has been processed. Does this mean until they receive the sponsorship application or does this mean I can't apply for PR until the application for sponsorship has been approved?

Thanks everyone!!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mcbride05 said:
What about if I got married in Canada, then left to go back to the US. Then submitted my outland PR application. Could I then go back into Canada while it was being processed?

It also says that I can't submit a PR application until the application for my sponsorship has been processed. Does this mean until they receive the sponsorship application or does this mean I can't apply for PR until the application for sponsorship has been approved?

Thanks everyone!!
You don't need to go back to the US to apply outland but if you want to, you can. Since some of the outland application needs to be filled out by you and some by your spouse, you would have to either fill out the forms beforehand or mail the forms back and forth until you have the complete application package. Your spouse would send the application package to Mississauga. You can go back to visit Canada while you are being processed.

Who says you can not submit a PR application until the application for sponsorship has been processed? You fill out all the forms and send them in one package. Mississauga will deal with the approval of sponsor and then send your file to the US for further processing.

Eric Parker

Star Member
Jun 26, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am going through this right now.

I got married in Alberta in May 2009 (a couple of months ago). On much advice from many sources, we decided for me to keep living in the States while our applications were processed. In fact, all the doc and forms will be in Mississauga by the end of this week by way of a good Montreal immigration law firm.

I was engaged for 8 years before I got married to her, and that was after my first PR application was sent back due to the change in NOC preferences by Ottawa in 2008. My only concern is that, during the process, I plan to be at my step-daughters wedding in August and border agents may get uptight about me traveling to Canada in such a short period.

My best advice: Just be patient, honest, and be pleasent to the CIC. If you plan to travel to Canada during your applcation process, just bring with you, just in case, a letter from your supervisor to prove you have obligations in the states and will not stay over your intended number of days/months. This saved me from a very uptight border agent in May who was hell bent on sending me back until I gave him the letter from my supervisor.

Good luck and prayers to you :)

HBeach78

Star Member
Jan 14, 2008
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-07-2009
Med's Done....
15/05/2009
Passport Req..
12/11/2009
VISA ISSUED...
18/11/2009
LANDED..........
29/11/2009
My husband and I are going through the same thing... He's a Canadian Citizen and I'm from the US... We sent in our Immigration paperwork on June 16,2009 and it was received June 18, 2009 in Mississagua, however the paperwork, fees,the medical results, police clearences, fingerprints, proof that all has to be sent together took some time to gather... I just don't want you to think that you have a few pieces of paper to fill out, then you are ready to mail it in.

My advice to you (from experience crossing the border) is make sure you have a return ticket! We have been telling the Border Guards for 7 months that we are married and all they are concerned with is that my husband has a return ticket (as he is the one staying for 4-8 weeks at a time)... We were actually detained for 30 minutes on our way back into the US last week, My husband has been spending more time in the US than in Canada, so that raised a few questions,even though he always goes back home... They (at the border) thought he was the one moving into the US, when really I'm the one filing for a PR card. But they took our passports as we drove through, we were asked to pull my car over and hand the key to another officer, we waited 30 minutes before they called us up to the counter, and after a few of the same questions, another officer verified with Immigration the YES we filed paperwork and YES it's me coming up to Canada... we were given our passports and told to have a good day!

anyway, when you cross the border, have your marriage cert. with you, have proof that you have filed your paperwork as you will have a receipt, bring those and your passport every time you cross the border... Otherwise if they feel you don't have enough ties to come back, they can limit your time in the other country, if they allow you in at all.

I know it's tough spending time apart from the one you love, as we have been doing this for 2 years... I chose to stay in the US as my paperwork is being processed, I still have to work while I'm here, and paying rent, and bills... I didn't want to take the chance of giving up my apartment and quitting my job, crossing the border with the intention of staying, and not being able to work legally while we wait for an answer... That and with out a PR card I didn't want to get denied at the border, to come back to no home, and no job.

But that's just me... better safe than sorry... MSN messenger and skype are free and we use that everyday we are apart to stay in touch...

Good Luck to you!

Giampaolo

Mar 4, 2010
Italian Marrying a Canadian Citizen in Canada.....HELP!!

Good Morning,
I am currently engaged with a canadian citizen and we are planning to get married with civil cerimony in April. After the wedding I've been told I can't start to work in Canada, but I have to wait at least 6 months couse of the sponsorship process.
Of course I can't stay without working, and I have found somebody who can give me a work...I have applied for it but HRDC gave a negative opinion so I can't have my visa for work permit.
It is possible to start working after the wedding?
Am I allowed to do something to mantain my family?
At least may I come back to my country after the wedding without loosing any day of sponsorship, and without problems to work maybe only for summer season?
I need an urgent help

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Italian Marrying a Canadian Citizen in Canada.....HELP!!

Giampaolo said:
Good Morning,
I am currently engaged with a canadian citizen and we are planning to get married with civil cerimony in April. After the wedding I've been told I can't start to work in Canada, but I have to wait at least 6 months couse of the sponsorship process.
Of course I can't stay without working, and I have found somebody who can give me a work...I have applied for it but HRDC gave a negative opinion so I can't have my visa for work permit.
It is possible to start working after the wedding?
Am I allowed to do something to mantain my family?
At least may I come back to my country after the wedding without loosing any day of sponsorship, and without problems to work maybe only for summer season?
I need an urgent help
What you have been told is correct. Getting married will not change the fact that your are a visitor in Canada and as a visitor, you are not allowed to work.

Getting a regular work permit for the job is also not possible since HRSDC gave a negative opinion. Of course your employer could try to remedy what caused the refusal and try again but this is also not guaranteed to work.

What you should do is apply for your sponsorship outland, that is as a person not living in Canada. This will ensure that you can go back to your home country if you must and work while your application is being processed or if you wish, you could also stay in Canada as a visitor or you can go back and forth. The processing time is generally faster than if you apply inland.

To apply outland, you should use these sponsorship forms: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

The application should be sent to Mississauga where it takes about a month to approve your wife as your sponsor and then it is sent to your homeland where you can find processing times here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/05-fc-spouses.asp

madcanadian

Jul 14, 2013
Hello , advance thanks to everyone who can guide me to through the following.

I am Canadian citizen and about to marry an American Citizen. She is planning to move to Toronto with me and i will be filing the Immigration papers for her. I read quiet a few post here and my only concern is that crossing border and what are the questions they can potentially ask. We both have my family across US so we will be traveling back and forth. I am not just not sure how the crossing of border will work out.

Can i be blunt that she is my wife and will be staying with me but i will be applying for her paper work.

Thank you

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
madcanadian said:
Hello , advance thanks to everyone who can guide me to through the following.

I am Canadian citizen and about to marry an American Citizen. She is planning to move to Toronto with me and i will be filing the Immigration papers for her. I read quiet a few post here and my only concern is that crossing border and what are the questions they can potentially ask. We both have my family across US so we will be traveling back and forth. I am not just not sure how the crossing of border will work out.

Can i be blunt that she is my wife and will be staying with me but i will be applying for her paper work.

Thank you
The answer to your question is: probably.

Most likely, you will have few/no issues as long as 1) you are with your wife; 2) she is admissible to Canada; and 3) you have a PR spousal application in process.

1) It's seen as better or more favorable if the Canadian spouse requests the American remain in Canada versus the American asking to stay. However, there are plenty of Americans in this situation that crossed repeatedly on their own without much trouble because they followed recommendations for 2 & 3.

2) Kinda self explanatory

3) She should carry proof of her PR application along with her passport. Once you pay the fees, carry the fee receipt. Once you get AOR (acknowledgement of receipt), carry that. Also, especially if she crosses alone, it's helpful to have proof of Financial Support - namely paystubs from your job. You (the Canadian) can also request a Visitor's Record for her, which can help the process according to some users. (I have never used mine to cross the border, but I've heard it helps.) You can also carry an employer letter or bank statements (3 months or more) if that would help. Also, a copy of your marriage certificate and if she's alone, a copy of your passport bio page, just to prove her husband is a Canadian citizen.

She should also review NAFTA qualifications to see if she qualifies for a NAFTA work visa.

madcanadian

Jul 14, 2013
Thanks for the quick response , so to clarify

3) you have a PR spousal application in process - We are not married yet but i am going their to get married so i don't have the paper work to process but once i get into Mississauga my plan is to go to the city hall and get the marriage certificate. ... Will this be ok .

# - Visitor's Record = Whats this and where can i get this from

Thank you very much

amikety said:

Most likely, you will have few/no issues as long as 1) you are with your wife; 2) she is admissible to Canada; and 3) you have a PR spousal application in process.

1) It's seen as better or more favorable if the Canadian spouse requests the American remain in Canada versus the American asking to stay. However, there are plenty of Americans in this situation that crossed repeatedly on their own without much trouble because they followed recommendations for 2 & 3.

3) She should carry proof of her PR application along with her passport. Once you pay the fees, carry the fee receipt. Once you get AOR (acknowledgement of receipt), carry that. Also, especially if she crosses alone, it's helpful to have proof of Financial Support - namely paystubs from your job. You (the Canadian) can also request a Visitor's Record for her, which can help the process according to some users. (I have never used mine to cross the border, but I've heard it helps.) You can also carry an employer letter or bank statements (3 months or more) if that would help. Also, a copy of your marriage certificate and if she's alone, a copy of your passport bio page, just to prove her husband is a Canadian citizen.

She should also review NAFTA qualifications to see if she qualifies for a NAFTA work visa.
[/quote

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
You can pay the fee in advance as well. Do it online and you can print out a copy of the receipt right away.

Visitor's Record you can get at the border (you may have to ask for it) or by extending her stay online or by mail. If she's going to be going in and out of Canada with you to visit family, those last 2 options probably won't work very well.

I personally wouldn't tell the IO you're going to go get married right away. I would tell them she's meeting your family and if they ask, say yes, you're thinking about getting married in the future.

madcanadian

Jul 14, 2013
Thanks !!

Thats what i am going to do , not going to disclose at first , Bring her here and then do the paper work.

the last #2 & #3 , we can wait to travel once i have the AOR

appreciated

blueangel371115

Champion Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
13-01-2014
Doc's Request.
10-02-2014
AOR Received.
17-07-2014
File Transfer...
17-07-2014
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2015 (returned 1/19 due to errors), 26-01-2015
LANDED..........
05-02-2015 Finally
amikety said:

E

3) She should carry proof of her PR application along with her passport. Once you pay the fees, carry the fee receipt. Once you get AOR (acknowledgement of receipt), carry that. Also, especially if she crosses alone, it's helpful to have proof of Financial Support - namely paystubs from your job. You (the Canadian) can also request a Visitor's Record for her, which can help the process according to some users. (I have never used mine to cross the border, but I've heard it helps.) You can also carry an employer letter or bank statements (3 months or more) if that would help. Also, a copy of your marriage certificate and if she's alone, a copy of your passport bio page, just to prove her
amikety said:

husband is a Canadian citizen.

As my wedding approaches I'm nervous. We are getting married in October in a civil ceremony then the reception is in Canada a few hours later. Then I'd like to visit after, during the pr process. . Since I won't have submitted the documents but I intend to, what should we tell them? My fiance will be driving.