+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US citizen - Do we need visitor record to apply?

itsbecca

Dec 1, 2023
I am a Canadian citizen and sponsoring my spouse. We are preparing our initial application and I'm not sure about showing "proof of your status in Canada." He is here as a visitor so doesn't have any permit or visa because he has 6 months visa-exempt visitor status. He'll be at 3 months on June 1st. I didn't realize you could get a visitor record on entry until we were here, and processing time is 84 days! We'll do it if we have to, but I wanted to be sure.

So, do we need a visitor record in this case? Or is he covered as a visitor and we can just include a copy of his entry stamp (and plane ticket?)

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
If he has an entry stamp and no end date indicated on it he's status is valid for six month, so you can just send a copy of the passport with the stamp page included. This should be enough.
But normally this question is asked for inland applicants. Are you applying for inland processing? Keep in mind that inland applicants should not leave Canada while their application is in progress. Therefore you'll need to apply for OWP (or visitor record) to keep his status valid.

Reactions: itsbecca

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So, do we need a visitor record in this case? Or is he covered as a visitor and we can just include a copy of his entry stamp (and plane ticket?)
Entry stamp is enough for purposes of applying. If no entry stamp (common enough) just put date of entry and include short note that passport was not stamped. IRCC can get entry dates if they need to from CBSA. No issue if it's less than six months since entry.

Reactions: itsbecca

itsbecca

Dec 1, 2023
If he has an entry stamp and no end date indicated on it he's status is valid for six month, so you can just send a copy of the passport with the stamp page included. This should be enough.
But normally this question is asked for inland applicants. Are you applying for inland processing? Keep in mind that inland applicants should not leave Canada while their application is in progress. Therefore you'll need to apply for OWP (or visitor record) to keep his status valid.
Perfect, thank you. And yes, it's inland. We'll still apply for the visitor record, it is just a relief we didn't have to wait for it before beginning our sponsorship application.