+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Citizen and Canadian PR card holder entering Canada by car

rick45

May 18, 2012
I am US Citizen and a Canadian permanent resident. When entering Canada by car, do I need to show Canadian PR card or will US passport suffice? I am currently working in the US. If I show US passport, at the time of applying for Canadian citizenship, will CIC give me credit for physical presence in Canada for the time I am in Canada?

As per CIC site, If you return to Canada in a private vehicle, such as your car, there are other documents you can use" - seems the use of US passport is fine but wanted to confirm.

Thanks a lot!

2_of_5

Aug 16, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2012
LANDED..........
27-06-2013
I am the same as you, US Citizen and Canadian PR for three years now. I only use my PR card (or Nexus card).

I was explicitly told by a CBSA officer on one of my first entries as a PR that they only want to see the PR card. My US passport does not indicate my status in Canada. PR card does. Since then, I have never shown my passport on entering Canada.

Hope that helps.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
rick45 said:
I am US Citizen and a Canadian permanent resident. When entering Canada by car, do I need to show Canadian PR card or will US passport suffice? I am currently working in the US. If I show US passport, at the time of applying for Canadian citizenship, will CIC give me credit for physical presence in Canada for the time I am in Canada?

As per CIC site, If you return to Canada in a private vehicle, such as your car, there are other documents you can use" - seems the use of US passport is fine but wanted to confirm.

Thanks a lot!
You can enter with just a US passport, and from that CBSA will be able to determine your PR status. Having a PR card in hand would speed up the process, but they can confirm you're a PR even without the card.

More important question is if you meet the PR residency obligation.

As long as you have entry/exit records from passport, that would show physical presence in Canada in terms of meeting the 4 of 6 years required for citizenship qualifying.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Some further observations:

CBSA preference is that travelers present the document/identification which best shows the traveler's identity and status in Canada; for a PR this is simply a valid PR card. (Prior to becoming a Canadian citizen, I presented only my PR card when entering Canada by car, and was never asked for anything more; only secondary referrals were for customs on those occasions where I needed to pay duty/HST for goods I was importing into Canada.)

For a Canadian PR, when driving into Canada, there is no advantage gained by presenting the U.S. passport at the PIL line. Border officers will sometimes ask to see additional documentation, such as the traveler's passport, but for the vast majority of routine travel the PR card suffices (again, it is the preferred form of identification for PRs) and usually facilitates the fastest PIL processing, resulting in what is essentially being waived-through.

Obviously, various circumstances can trigger additional questioning or document requests, and may trigger a referral to Secondary for an immigration interview. How things go at the PoE is very individual specific, very much dependent on the individual's particular circumstances, immigration history (including border crossing history, which may include which PoE has been used), and can range from some additional, simple and easily answered questions at the PIL (usually a drive-through booth), to a referral for a Secondary examination.

Example I: If the PR presents a form of identification other than a valid PR card, that can invite further questions. The nature and extent of further questions can vary greatly depending on the form of identification presented, the individual's particular circumstances and immigration history, and other factors. Canadian PoE officers are generally friendly and lenient when dealing with U.S. citizens, so a PR presenting a U.S. passport does not, ordinarily, not-in-itself anyway, trigger concerns . . . unless there are other factors which invite some questions. If the PR's border crossing history, for example, indicates there could be an issue about PR Residency Obligation compliance, that is something tending to elevate the scrutiny and potentially lead to a Secondary examination regarding the amount of time spent in Canada.

In some instances, presenting a passport (without presenting a PR card) may trigger a referral to Secondary to verify identification and PR status, but for PRs who are U.S. citizens the computer screen at the PIL will, usually, readily verify the PR's status in Canada. The PIL officer is likely to ask one or two additional questions about status in Canada, such as asking the traveler what his or her Canadian status is, or specifically asking if the traveler is a PR, and if so, why the PR card was not presented. But honest and reasonable responses to such questions should suffice and not (in the absence of other factors inviting further questions) lead to more extensive questioning or a referral to Secondary.

Example II: The vehicle being driven can be a big factor. When the PR is the owner-driver of the vehicle, where that vehicle is registered can influence how things go. A U.S. registered vehicle, for example, informs the PIL inspector/officer that the owner resides in the U.S., not Canada. Since the purpose of granting Canadian PR status is to facilitate permanent residence in Canada, that can invite questions. But even as to this, the nature and extent of any further examination will depend on many additional factors, such as other factors which could indicate compliance, or non-compliance, with the PR Residency Obligation. Another factor is the history of crossings, both relative to the individual and as to that vehicle. While being examined more closely resulting in satisfactory resolution of any questions does not guarantee there will not be a similar examination the next time, more often than not once in-effect-cleared, the next time it goes easier (CBSA generally, albeit not always, tends to avoid re-examining or reconsidering or revisiting things).

In contrast, driving a self-owned vehicle registered in Canada is a factor which can make the crossing easier and go more quickly, especially the second or third time the PR crosses at that same location using the same Canadian registered vehicle.

Credit toward citizenship for days in Canada:

The person applying for citizenship is required to declare all travel in and out of Canada. The burden of proving these dates is on the applicant. PRs should keep precise records of all trips across the border and to other countries.

Generally IRCC (formerly CIC) will, as you say, credit all the days an applicant reports being in Canada. IRCC primarily relies on the physical presence calculation submitted by the applicant.

IRCC will, of course, examine that information and compare it to other information, including as to consistency with the rest of the information provided by the applicant and with the applicant's immigration history, but also consider other sources of information such as the individual's travel history maintained and provided by CBSA. IRCC is looking for discrepancies, for indications the applicant's declaration is either incomplete or inaccurate.

If IRCC identifies any reason to question the applicant's accounting of travel, then IRCC will not necessarily credit all the days an applicant reported, in the physical presence calculation, being in Canada. Rather, IRCC may then require the applicant to provide more information and supporting documentation (evidence) to prove the number of days the applicant was in Canada. This can be difficult for some applicants. And of course extended time working abroad, including in the U.S., tends to raise doubts, not just questions, about the extent to which the applicant has completely and accurately reported all time in and out of Canada.

Keep exact records of ALL travel dates. Keep some documentation to prove dates in Canada. Make sure to have a comfortable margin above the minimum requirements (these are likely to change in the near future; current requirement is a 4/6 rule; proposed change is for a 3/5 rule).

It is also prudent for PRs with extensive absences from Canada to also keep such exact records even if they are not anticipating making an application for citizenship. Any PR may be challenged to prove compliance with the PR RO.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
rick45 said:
They really want to see your PR card since it shows status. They are fine with NEXUS, even though it doesn't show status (there's an exemption to the requirements for status with NEXUS in the interest of time).

That being said, I've crossed the border presenting a US Driver License, a CoPR and Canadian Driver License, US Passport Card, US Passport, NEXUS, US Identification Cards, and even nothing at all. I've done it in US-plated cars and Canadian-plated cars, as well as on foot. It really depends on the agent, the time of day, and what you are doing.

In general, the agents are looking for two things - smuggling, and residency violations (overstays/work). They ask a few questions to try to see how you handle yourself, and if you give off any red flags.

When presenting just my Passport, I was asked about my status, then if I had my PR Card. When I indicated no, they looked at the passport, noticed the cancelled stamps for Canada (cancelled without prejudice), and decided I was probably telling the truth. They waved me on.

When using a passport card, it varies - they usually start by asking where I live. When I tell them I live in a Canadian city, they generally ask what my status is. With BC plates, though, they sometimes don't bother. When asking my status, they will generally ask to see my PR card (or work permit, before I was PR). Sometimes, they don't. I've used scans of my PR card, copies and original CoPR, and never had a problem. When I told them my CoPR was a copy, they asked why (I had been told to save the original and keep it save), and then stamped it as a certified copy so that I wouldn't get in trouble for it being a copy.

To make a long answer short, you have right of entry. They will let you in. It may take a few minutes more or less while they look things up in the computer, but they will let you in. It's doable with any combination of ID, or no ID at all - they just need to figure out a) who you are, and b) that you have status.