+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Canada Driving License Exchange

When you get a Canadian temporary license; can you drive across the border for work/leisure using that? How did you go about car insurance?
It may be probably better to wait for the permanent card to arrive, if you can.

ECN

Dec 20, 2018
Can someone suggest what kind of driving history required?

Texas DPS provides below types of records.
  • Status Record (Type 1): name, date of birth (DOB), license status, and latest address.
  • 3-year History Record (Type 2): name, DOB, license status, list of accidents and moving violations on record within past 3-year period.
  • List of All Accidents and Violations on Record (Type 3): name, DOB, license status, list of all accidents and violations on record.
  • Certified 3-year History record (Type 2A): certified version of Type 2. This record is not acceptable for Defensive Driving Course (DDC).
  • Certified List of All Accidents and Violations on Record (Type 3A): certified version of Type 3. This record is acceptable for Defensive Driving Course (DDC).
  • Certified Abstracts of Driving Record (Type AR): Certified abstract of complete driving record of a license holder.

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
Can someone suggest what kind of driving history required?

Texas DPS provides below types of records.
  • Status Record (Type 1): name, date of birth (DOB), license status, and latest address.
  • 3-year History Record (Type 2): name, DOB, license status, list of accidents and moving violations on record within past 3-year period.
  • List of All Accidents and Violations on Record (Type 3): name, DOB, license status, list of all accidents and violations on record.
  • Certified 3-year History record (Type 2A): certified version of Type 2. This record is not acceptable for Defensive Driving Course (DDC).
  • Certified List of All Accidents and Violations on Record (Type 3A): certified version of Type 3. This record is acceptable for Defensive Driving Course (DDC).
  • Certified Abstracts of Driving Record (Type AR): Certified abstract of complete driving record of a license holder.
Assuming you were first licensed in Texas, the date you were first issued the license is highly beneficial. Check if the certified abstract has that. Make a copy of the abstract as when you apply for your license they will keep it. You can provide the copy to the insurance agent when you apply for Canadian car insurance.

Reactions: Samoinp

ECN

Dec 20, 2018
Assuming you were first licensed in Texas, the date you were first issued the license is highly beneficial. Check if the certified abstract has that. Make a copy of the abstract as when you apply for your license they will keep it. You can provide the copy to the insurance agent when you apply for Canadian car insurance.
Thanks for your help. Will do.

its_msg_25

Sep 18, 2018
United States of America
AOR Received.
07-08-2018
Med's Done....
28-08-2018
Quick question, I have a speeding ticket on my TEXAS Drivers license. Will this ticket appear on my CANADA (ONTARIO) Drivers License if i exchange?

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
Quick question, I have a speeding ticket on my TEXAS Drivers license. Will this ticket appear on my CANADA (ONTARIO) Drivers License if i exchange?
The ticket will have no impact on you being able to transfer your license from Texas to Ontario. There may be an impact on your car insurance rate.

Reactions: its_msg_25

redhotgalego

Star Member
Aug 20, 2015
Quick question, what happens after the 90 days grace period to switch from a foreign to a Canadian (BC) drivers license? Do you just lose the ability to drive legally in BC or does it mean you must start the process of getting a drivers license from scratch like a teenager? Also, do they count the 90 days from the moment you become a PR or from the moment you get a BC card?

nasir_jamshed

Mar 23, 2013
Dear All,

I have a US driving licence (Texas) which expired in 2015. I am now living in Qatar. Can I use my expired US licence for conversion to Canada licence. I plan to reside in Alberta.

Thanks.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Dear All,

I have a US driving licence (Texas) which expired in 2015. I am now living in Qatar. Can I use my expired US licence for conversion to Canada licence. I plan to reside in Alberta.

Thanks.
Expired 4 years ago..quite some time. I heard 6 months would work, but 4 years?
I doubt it..

sowmyashri

Oct 6, 2018
Yes. Problem is the state of Iowa does not provide driving license history beyond the last renewal. Since I got mine renewed in June this year, I need to attach my original DLA along with. So for anyone reading this, kindly ensure you have atleast your original application when you come in for an exchange.

Thank you all for your responses. I will hold on to the exchange till i have moved here to Canada permanently.
Hi, I am in the same situation. I received my Iowa driver abstract only for the active period, could you please let me know how did it work out for you.

onkarshinde

Star Member
Apr 3, 2018
I exchanged my NYS license for an Ontario one. It was very easy to do. I just filled out a form, provided my long abstract which I got from the NYS, and passed an eye test. They took my NYS license and issue me a temporary Ontario license on the spot. My permanent one came in the mail a few weeks later.

But yes, they took my NYS license and I didn't get it back. It really is an "exchange"
Do the DL abstract from US DMV has to be an official document or a printout from the DMV site is fine?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Do the DL abstract from US DMV has to be an official document or a printout from the DMV site is fine?
It has been awhile but I'm pretty sure they want the official long abstract (FULL history) document that was mailed to you from the DMV (the original copy). I'm not even sure you can view the long form abstract online.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
It has been awhile but I'm pretty sure they want the official long abstract (FULL history) document that was mailed to you from the DMV (the original copy). I'm not even sure you can view the long form abstract online.
My question is about Driving Experience to get better insurance rate. The longer you have DL the better rate you can get in Ontario.

I've already got original letter from DMV (SOS) Michigan that they issued me DL in 2002. Also I could, but not sure that I can get the letter from Ohio (previous State I lived and worked in) that I got their DL in 1998.
But I saved my original Canadian DL from the beautiful BC, issued in 1995 , expired in 1998. Will this physical plastic old expired Canadian DL help me prove that my Canadian driving experience started in 1995 and possibly reduce Ontario Insurance rate?

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
Every state has their own way of doing things. What is key is that you have the date you were first issued license and details of the previous & current licenses from the state. Most states don't provide this info on the online abstract and hence your safest bet is to go to the DMV and get one.