Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
It is been more than 6 months since it got expired and the Province that I will be travelling to is Ontario.
I have requested Driving record from my DMV and it looks clean for last 6 years.
https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence

You have to bring:
  • bring your original, valid out-of-province/foreign driver’s licence*

*Definition: a valid out-of-province licence

An out-of-province/foreign driver’s licence needs to:

• be valid
  • display a visible expiry date
  • be written in either English or French.

You said "I have a expired US Driving licence because my US Visa expired. " - try to renew the license in your State by mail or online .

Last edited:

dburrows5

Oct 10, 2020
Hi

1. Depends on the province and how long the DL has been expired.

It is been more than 6 months since it got expired and the Province that I will be travelling to is Ontario.
I have requested Driving record from my DMV and it looks clean for last 6 years.
I have my US DL Expired Original and I also have a Valid Indian DL Licence.

Any suggestions ?

dburrows5

Oct 10, 2020
https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence

You have to bring:
  • bring your original, valid out-of-province/foreign driver’s licence*

*Definition: a valid out-of-province licence

An out-of-province/foreign driver’s licence needs to:

• be valid
  • display a visible expiry date
  • be written in either English or French.

You said "I have a expired US Driving licence because my US Visa expired. " - try to renew the license in your State by mail or online .
Thank you Alex for responding.

I cannot renew my US Licence because my visa is expired. DMV's in the US issue driving licence based on visa validity only. I do not have Green card yet. That said, I need to travel to Can with an expired US DL but I do have a valid Indian DL. Please advice?

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Thank you Alex for responding.

I cannot renew my US Licence because my visa is expired. DMV's in the US issue driving licence based on visa validity only. I do not have Green card yet. That said, I need to travel to Can with an expired US DL but I do have a valid Indian DL. Please advice?
Well, with expired US DL you cannot to do "Exchange".
India is not in the list , does not have an exchange agreement in place with Ontario.

Please read "When you can't exchange" and "Proof of driving experience" - from India. Don't forget for proper translation.

dburrows5

Oct 10, 2020
Well, with expired US DL you cannot to do "Exchange".
India is not in the list , does not have an exchange agreement in place with Ontario.

Please read "When you can't exchange" and "Proof of driving experience" - from India. Don't forget for proper translation.
Hi Alex,

Well I understand that I won't be able to exchange but what will be the easiest way to get a DL given my situation?

bsrogen

Star Member
Sep 23, 2012
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montreal/HK
NOC Code......
U085
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
30-09-2013
Doc's Request.
Sent with app filed, app recieved 04-10-2013
AOR Received.
03-04-2014
IELTS Request
IELTS band 6.0, TEF B1/B2 sent with app filed
File Transfer...
November 2019
Med's Request
19-06-2020
Med's Done....
25-06-2020
Passport Req..
22 Oct 2020
Hi Alex,

Well I understand that I won't be able to exchange but what will be the easiest way to get a DL given my situation?
You could exchange your DL (expired one) + your present DL in India ( Notes: the times of 2 licensce should be consecutive). They will exchange for you a new canadian one with eye test ). Hope it helps.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
You could exchange your DL (expired one) + your present DL in India ( Notes: the times of 2 licensce should be consecutive). They will exchange for you a new canadian one with eye test ). Hope it helps.
As I understand expired US DL is not a valid document and India is not on list of countries for DL exchange with Canada. Where did you get your information?
When I tried to exchange my new ( less than 2 years) US DL and showed them 2 previous US DL to prove my driving experience - it did not work, they offered me only G2 , but not full G Ontario DL, until 2 weeks later I brought a letter from my state showing years of driving with first Michigan DL issued in 2002.

dburrows5

Oct 10, 2020
Thank you my Friend. I called Ontario Drive test contact centre and they said my expired DL (within 1 year expiry) and Driving Record should suffice to give a new DL. Thanks for your response!

Reactions: Alex54321

bsrogen

Star Member
Sep 23, 2012
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Montreal/HK
NOC Code......
U085
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
30-09-2013
Doc's Request.
Sent with app filed, app recieved 04-10-2013
AOR Received.
03-04-2014
IELTS Request
IELTS band 6.0, TEF B1/B2 sent with app filed
File Transfer...
November 2019
Med's Request
19-06-2020
Med's Done....
25-06-2020
Passport Req..
22 Oct 2020
As I understand expired US DL is not a valid document and India is not on list of countries for DL exchange with Canada. Where did you get your information?
When I tried to exchange my new ( less than 2 years) US DL and showed them 2 previous US DL to prove my driving experience - it did not work, they offered me only G2 , but not full G Ontario DL, until 2 weeks later I brought a letter from my state showing years of driving with first Michigan DL issued in 2002.
Actually my friend in BC did it with expired US DL plus other DL from home country (like India), and 2 DL valid period has 1 year length (connecting ) time and they take 2 DL and give eye test only. But I think depending on location , it's better to have driving experience letter from the previous country you drove,for example :US,... and later for lower insurance.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Quick question, what information does driving abstract contain
I had on my request form MI Department of State the following (without personal details):

Your request of recent date has been received in this office.
Our records indicate that the original Michigan driver's license was issued on 08/02/2002.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office by phone or letter. Sincerely,
RECORD LOOKUP UNIT
Office of Customer Services 517.335.6198

Request Report

First Name Last Name , YOB, Address, ... Voter

ORIG: 08/02/2002 LCD: 02/06/1999

* THIS DRIVER HAS NO PRIOR 904 MANDATORY ADDITIONAL VIOLATIONS OF
* SUSPENSION/REVOCATION OR 625 ALCOHOL RELATED CONVICTIONS WITHIN THE
* TIME FRAMES REQUIRING PLATE CONFISCATION.
***************************** END OF RECORD HISTORY *************************

LICENSE VALID
DRIVING STATUS : ELIGIBLE - RECORD CLEAR
MI SOS (PREPARED IN COMPLIANCE WITH MCL 257.733)
(FOR GOVERNMENTAL OR INDIVIDUAL DRIVERS USE ONLY)

starlordavuthu

Apr 13, 2020
I had on my request form MI Department of State the following (without personal details):

Your request of recent date has been received in this office.
Our records indicate that the original Michigan driver's license was issued on 08/02/2002.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office by phone or letter. Sincerely,
RECORD LOOKUP UNIT
Office of Customer Services 517.335.6198

Request Report

First Name Last Name , YOB, Address, ... Voter

ORIG: 08/02/2002 LCD: 02/06/1999

* THIS DRIVER HAS NO PRIOR 904 MANDATORY ADDITIONAL VIOLATIONS OF
* SUSPENSION/REVOCATION OR 625 ALCOHOL RELATED CONVICTIONS WITHIN THE
* TIME FRAMES REQUIRING PLATE CONFISCATION.
***************************** END OF RECORD HISTORY *************************

LICENSE VALID
DRIVING STATUS : ELIGIBLE - RECORD CLEAR
MI SOS (PREPARED IN COMPLIANCE WITH MCL 257.733)
(FOR GOVERNMENTAL OR INDIVIDUAL DRIVERS USE ONLY)
Awesome, thanks for clearing this up.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Awesome, thanks for clearing this up.
The thing is I had to send (mail) a request form to lansing, MI, not to go to the local office.

Also "Michigan driver's license was issued on 08/02/2002 " - helped me two ways:
1. I was able to exchange my fresh, just renewed MI DL ( less than 2 years ago) to full Ontario DL
2. Auto Insurance agent accepted my 18 year driving experince ( from 2002), allowing to reduce insurance premium.

starlordavuthu

Apr 13, 2020
The thing is I had to send (mail) a request form to lansing, MI, not to go to the local office.

Also "Michigan driver's license was issued on 08/02/2002 " - helped me two ways:
1. I was able to exchange my fresh, just renewed MI DL ( less than 2 years ago) to full Ontario DL
2. Auto Insurance agent accepted my 18 year driving experince ( from 2002), allowing to reduce insurance premium.
That is very cool, my situation is a bit different though. I had North Dakota DL for 1 year 10 months, I moved to Florida and got FL license. Just wondering how the continuity works, I am assuming changing state does not reset the required 2 year period for G2 license

Hiphop29

Nov 12, 2020
Did anyone exchange their IL DL? If so, which driving record abstract did you order online? I see two options - court abstract or public abstract.