+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Canada Driving License Exchange

dreamer131713

Apr 26, 2021
I did the exact same thing, took the online copy of my driving record (texas DL) but when i went to get my ontario g license, They asked me for the payment receipt too. Luckily i took the pdf copy of the payment receipt. So i printed it and submitted there. Got my G license. So, Online copy of your texas driving record along with THE RECEIPT OF PAYMENT are sufficient to exchange. Don't forget to take your landing document.
hi, I am planning to exchange my US license in Ontario, can you confirm if an address proof is required. I will not be having any address proof when I plan to visit the Drive test. I will be having a friend's address though for them to mail the physical card. I tried looking up this information online but there is no information available other than identity documents. Thanks!

basebadger

Star Member
Jul 10, 2020
hi, I am planning to exchange my US license in Ontario, can you confirm if an address proof is required. I will not be having any address proof when I plan to visit the Drive test. I will be having a friend's address though for them to mail the physical card. I tried looking up this information online but there is no information available other than identity documents. Thanks!
No Address proof required. They will ask your address though for them to send you the DL in mail which arrives in3-4 weeks. When i exchanged my US license they just asked my address and i gave my friend's address. It arrived in 3 weeks and i collected it from him

Reactions: dreamer131713

dreamer131713

Apr 26, 2021
No Address proof required. They will ask your address though for them to send you the DL in mail which arrives in3-4 weeks. When i exchanged my US license they just asked my address and i gave my friend's address. It arrived in 3 weeks and i collected it from him
thank you

Apr 6, 2021
How to get Drivers license extract / Driving record from Missouri, I am currently out of USA and living in india Is there any online procedure?
Did your problem get solved? If it did can you please tell me.I am also from Missouri and recently moved to canada.

vijay S

Jul 5, 2021
Hi, How long my expired US license can be used to get the license in Canada?
my license was expired in March 2021. Can I still use that along with drivers record to get the canada license?

dreamer131713

Apr 26, 2021
Hi, How long my expired US license can be used to get the license in Canada?
my license was expired in March 2021. Can I still use that along with drivers record to get the canada license?
No, they need an unexpired US license the last time I checked Drive Test website.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
No, they need an unexpired US license the last time I checked Drive Test website.
Confirming my experience .

I am dual citizen returning to Canada. My new DL ( renewal) was issued in Michigan in 2019 and I went to ServiceOntarion in 2020 to do exchange , but I could not do exchange since the current US DL was less than 2 years old.... With my driving time in Michigan since 2002... They did not want to look at previous expired MI DL and at previous Ohio DL for 1998-2002 and at previous beautiful British Columbia DL - 1994-1998...

The point is - they do not except expired DL even it's obvious that you are "experinced" driver.

So, I had to send a request to Lansing, MI to request my official driver record showing that I was licensed in Michigan since 2002. Only with that document I was able to exchange my US DL to ON DL.

Reactions: dreamer131713

dreamer131713

Apr 26, 2021

I am dual citizen returning to Canada. My new DL ( renewal) was issued in Michigan in 2019 and I went to ServiceOntarion in 2020 to do exchange , but I could not do exchange since the current US DL was less than 2 years old.... With my driving time in Michigan since 2002... They did not want to look at previous expired MI DL and at previous Ohio DL for 1998-2002 and at previous beautiful British Columbia DL - 1994-1998...

The point is - they do not except expired DL even it's obvious that you are "experinced" driver.

So, I had to send a request to Lansing, MI to request my official driver record showing that I was licensed in Michigan since 2002. Only with that document I was able to exchange my US DL to ON DL.
Yes, you are right. I assumed that the person I replied to is aware of the Driver record and driving experience requirements in order to exchange US license to get a G license in Canada.

tuhadapeo

Jul 20, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal -> Vancouver
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-12-2018
AOR Received.
04-12-2018
Med's Done....
14-01-2019
Anyone who recently exchanged for a G license can you share your experience? I understand we need valid US drivers license, driver record to show atleast 2 years driving history. What else is required? Was there a photo taken at drive test location? Or do we have to submit one?

MichaelWard

Nov 24, 2021
Yes. Problem is the state of Iowa does not provide driving license history beyond the last renewal. Since I got mine renewed in June this year, I need to attach my original DLA along with. So for anyone reading this, kindly ensure you have atleast your original application when you come in for an exchange.

Thank you all for your responses. I will hold on to the exchange till i have moved here to Canada permanently.
If you are looking for Login Details, know about official employee login links & employee benefits, get all the access to your account easily.

bluehorse

Dec 1, 2017
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO - Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-07-2021
Passport Req..
17-01-2022
LANDED..........
27-04-2022

I'm wondering how I can satisfy the 2 years licensed in the last 3 years rule to get a G license:

First NJ License: Issued in March 2015 and expiration in August 2017. I moved out of NJ during the end of 2015 and relocated to Ohio. I renewed my Ohio license thrice since then till July 2019. In July 2019, I moved to my home country, India and lived till April 2021. In April 2021, I moved from India to NJ again and now having an NJ license. I will be moving to Ontario by the end of April 2022.

To summarize,

First NJ license: March 2015 to August 2017
First, second and third OH licenses: December 2015 to July 2019
-- Moved to India and used my already held India license --
Second NJ license: June 2021 till Nov 2025

Is it possible for me to exchange my NJ license for a G license ? (I've already applied for driver license abstracts from OH and placed order for DO-21 online. Also, working on submitting individual requests for both my NJ licenses using DO-11).

Appreciate if someone can shed some light in this case [where a person partially held a license from a country that has exchange agreement with Ontario (United States) and part of the 3 year time was spent in a country which doesn't have license exchange program (India) with Canada]

Mars18

Apr 21, 2020
What about points, can speeding points be transferred from US driving license to Canadian one?

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
What about points, can speeding points be transferred from US driving license to Canadian one?
Cannot say about cost of insurance, but you just surround your US DL and getting the Canadian one. The DL itself and points are different things, I think.

tuhadapeo

Jul 20, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal -> Vancouver
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-12-2018
AOR Received.
04-12-2018
Med's Done....
14-01-2019

If you have a driver's license from NY or MI then the tickets will transfer if you're registering in Ontario. In that case, you might also get demerit points per Ontario's website.