+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US-based applicants, let's connect here

tjsecondtry

May 11, 2017
I haven't paid anything with coins yet, but our experiences with cards (namely tap-to-pay) were a humbling start! I also got thrown off with the restaurant card readers brought to the table because while I've used them before, I think the only times I did they had me write out the tip or were only in one language. Between the two, I had to get help from the waitress :oops:

There are also the upcoming questions I'll have when we move into our rental like "how do I take out the trash", "do we have our own hot water heater is that a whole-building thing?" (if we have our own we'd need to see if we should turn it down for our daughter), etc. that make me feel like a bit of a fool. Oh well, fun with learning curves!
I got my subway card and did my first tap to pay this weekend. Turns out I was tapping in the wrong place. The person who explained it was quite nice and did not call me stupid, lol.

Reactions: moose17

canada_dreamer

Apr 10, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congratulations, @Lovely_Wings! I can't imagine what a weight off your shoulders that must be!

I've been ironing out so many final details here. Checking if our bank in TO had our checks, I mean cheques, because we need postdated ones for rent when we move into our rental (they didn't - they were sent to our US house in December instead of our "home branch" in TO, never arrived, so are probably rotting in some warehouse on the border), setting up car exporting and importing, and on and on. Not to mention packing up a house and selling what we're not taking. One step at a time, one step at a time . . .

Also, shameless plug for the facebook group! If anyone wants to join, just PM me an email for the invite to go to and I'll add you!
Did you rent from a property managemnt company or an individual land lord? Did they ask for employment letter and credit history in canada?

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
Hahaha speaking of financial stuff, I just called to set up my hydro account and was directed to an online form - great! Then I scroll down to the part for my checking account info for autopayments and see this:

Wait what? I don't actually have my checks yet so was expecting the account number I know plus an easily-googleable routing number! And I may have been able to figure these out but my TD Canada branch number's only 4 digits on my EasyWeb thing, so I just had the great experience of calling TD to be like "um, I don't know how to do cheque stuff here. Please help [my apparently helpless 30-something-year-old self]." :p

Also, I'm clearly mid-spelling-changes here lol.

@canada_dreamer, we're renting through an individual landlord. They use some sort of management company too, but I think that's for more the financial side I guess, because I know they evaluated all the bids they got in person and correspondence on questions goes to the individual (via my realtor so far, though I expect that to change once we arrive). We used my husband's paychecks from his job here, which our realtor said would still carry weight since they show he's employable. We also threw in the employment letter from our PR app, because why not? Instead of Canadian credit history, we showed US credit reports and bank account statements so they could see that we were financially responsible and had enough cash to cover our expenses during the lease. Our realtor also included that we had a house we were selling. Basically we threw out every bit of evidence we could to show we would be good renters who could pay our rent each month even though we had no Canadian credit or jobs, and thankfully it worked.

They did do that call to his employer to check that he worked there and it wasn't just a "he works there? cool" thing, like they asked about him more, so prepare for that possibility.

@tjsecondtry, that sounds good! The toddler usually naps around 12-2ish but if we need to start before that my husband can always meet us with her once she's done with that.

tjsecondtry

May 11, 2017
What province told you that you had to take the written test? What state are you coming from? How long have you been a licensed driver ion the US?
Today, I got written confirmation from customer service that I won't be required to take a knowledge test.

Reactions: moose17

tjsecondtry

May 11, 2017
Hahaha speaking of financial stuff, I just called to set up my hydro account and was directed to an online form - great! Then I scroll down to the part for my checking account info for autopayments and see this:

Wait what? I don't actually have my checks yet so was expecting the account number I know plus an easily-googleable routing number! And I may have been able to figure these out but my TD Canada branch number's only 4 digits on my EasyWeb thing, so I just had the great experience of calling TD to be like "um, I don't know how to do cheque stuff here. Please help [my apparently helpless 30-something-year-old self]." :p

Also, I'm clearly mid-spelling-changes here lol.

@canada_dreamer, we're renting through an individual landlord. They use some sort of management company too, but I think that's for more the financial side I guess, because I know they evaluated all the bids they got in person and correspondence on questions goes to the individual (via my realtor so far, though I expect that to change once we arrive). We used my husband's paychecks from his job here, which our realtor said would still carry weight since they show he's employable. We also threw in the employment letter from our PR app, because why not? Instead of Canadian credit history, we showed US credit reports and bank account statements so they could see that we were financially responsible and had enough cash to cover our expenses during the lease. Our realtor also included that we had a house we were selling. Basically we threw out every bit of evidence we could to show we would be good renters who could pay our rent each month even though we had no Canadian credit or jobs, and thankfully it worked.

They did do that call to his employer to check that he worked there and it wasn't just a "he works there? cool" thing, like they asked about him more, so prepare for that possibility.

@tjsecondtry, that sounds good! The toddler usually naps around 12-2ish but if we need to start before that my husband can always meet us with her once she's done with that.
Let's tentatively say 3 or 4 then.

I rented directly from a person who owns many properties. I gave him a confirmation of my husband's employment and salary, a discover card bill showing our credit score, no outstanding balance, and amount due for the current month, and something else, which is escaping me right now. I communicated directly with him. It was a much simpler process, which fit my needs. But when it comes to the next apartment, I'd like your realtor's name.

knighthood15

Feb 9, 2018
Hey guys had a question around work experience letter.

I have been working for a financial services company since june 2008 in the noc code 2174. While being here I have changed teams and bosses.

Some of these bosses have left the company.

I have been in the current team for the last 5 years and my manager is ready to give a detailed work experience letter for the entire duration of 10 years.

HR will only give a generic letter.

Also in my EE profile I am claiming all 10 years under 2174. But will have difficult on getting letters from bosses who left the company.

My current manager giving a detailed employment letter for the entire duration would suffice? Or do I need to make modifications in my EE profile so that it reflects the different teams I have been with?

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017

/QUOTE]

Log into your online account and find the "Void cheque" option. It'll give you this info.

Anbuchezhian

Aug 11, 2017
Hi Guys,

I got AOR on Feb 6th, I am going to canada this week for US Visa stamping. Do i need to inform CIC about my travel ? Is there any travel restriction after submitting PR application .

dacoffee

Star Member
Jan 2, 2018
I am floored to see that my PR application has been APPROVED. I have lived in the US for over 15 years, and never got close to smelling a green card. I haven't even lived in Canada, yet my PR application is approved in a few months. The paranoid part of me is wondering if there is a catch somewhere. Given my years of suffering, this seems too good to be true.

ITA - August 24, 2017
AOR - Nov 21, 2017
Passport Request - Feb 8, 2018
Congratulations! I can imagine the feeling.

If you don't mind me asking, have you decided to move to Canada or are you still weighing pros and cons? And, what is your PD?

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
Does anyone who's already moved have recommendations for car insurance companies that consider US driving and insurance histories? Kanetix.ca gave us decent rates and seemed to count both but it's only a quote compiler so I don't completely trust the individual companies will follow through on those better rates.

mike2236

Nov 28, 2017
Hi all. Is anyone planning to continue working in the U.S. while living in Canada? That's my plan if we get in, but I'm trying to compare what kind of additional taxes we'll typically owe when we reconcile at tax time and I can't find any sort of calculator online to help me figure that out. I'm also trying to figure out how my U.S. employer will have to pay me - I imagine I'll need to transfer my banking over to a Canadian bank, but then does that affect my employer - paying someone in Canada vs. U.S. as far as taxes? Very confused. Thanks for any info!
I am working at my company subsidiary in BC. The taxes are really high in BC. I'm paying about a 40% effective tax rate overall. As a US citizen, if I get into Canada then I will be required to pay taxes at the higher tax rate which is that in Canada. I'm still not sure what I will do if I get in since I'm only doing this for my spouse.