+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent: Traveling in Decemeber but still waiting for PR card renewal,alternate options?

Yorker13

May 27, 2013
Hi all,

I have a complicated situation, i sent application to renew my PR card which expired in july 2018, i sent my application on june 2018,the status on CIC says they recieved my application since july 2018.

i need to travel to abu dhabi in December 1st, i am afraid i wont get my PR card in time ,as i had a lot of travels outside of Canada since 2013, i meet the RO ,but i was away for almost 3 years, i am afriad they might send my application for secondary review which will take a year as i heard.

the other problem i have,is whenever i come back to Canada, the airline passport check they stop me from boarding on the plane that is going directly to Toront, as i carry a somali passport, they said canada dont recognise somali passport as valid mean of travel even if you have a valid PR card.

then they call the embassy or cic i am not sure, strangely i talked to the same guy twice on two different occasions, first time he gave me a tab on my hand and asked me politely to get certificare of identity along with PR card and he will let me board,

second time it happen he was kinda aggressvie and also remembered me and started questioning me about my status and where i work..etc.i told him that i called the immigration and told them the story they said as long as u have valid PR card you can board on any commercial flight to canada, he wasnt happy to hear my argument and cut me off saying he have authority to remove me from the flight if i dont show the paper he is requiring.

then he said becuz u have a job to return to i will let u go this time,but its the last warning for you.

so i am thinking to get myself a canadian certificate of identity to save myself the trouble but they require to be a permanent residence, if i want to prove it i shall give them the current expired PR card.

1- how can i apply for canadian certiificate of identity with expired pr card and my renew is under process?

2- can i call CIC to tell them to expedite the process of renewing my PR card? what is their number, i already emailed them through their website, and they said CIC will get back to you ..!!!

3- how to get a PRTD from inside canada?

4- would PRTD subsititue the canadian certificate of identity?

thanks all

Yorker13

May 27, 2013
You can't apply PRTD in Canada

Edit: Besides, I don't think you are eligible for certificate of identity because you the fact you hold a Somali passport.
can i send the PRTD to VAC in abu dhabi or let my brother or wife submit the application until i visit in december?

can you explain what u mean by holding a somali passport then i cant get Certiticte of identity? i read their website and no restriction on nationalities, maybe u mixing it with a refugees travel document,or people who are stateless? which is not my case at all i am SW PR.

by the way, what u think of the action taken by that guy who was representing CIC or the embassy on the phone who was giving me hard time becuz of the somali passport but i got a valid PR also showed him ontario health card and driving license which shows my picture...?!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
can i send the PRTD to VAC in abu dhabi or let my brother or wife submit the application until i visit in december?

can you explain what u mean by holding a somali passport then i cant get Certiticte of identity? i read their website and no restriction on nationalities, maybe u mixing it with a refugees travel document,or people who are stateless? which is not my case at all i am SW PR.

by the way, what u think of the action taken by that guy who was representing CIC or the embassy on the phone who was giving me hard time becuz of the somali passport but i got a valid PR also showed him ontario health card and driving license which shows my picture...?!!
You have to include your passport when you submit the PRTD application. So you cannot submit it until you are outside of Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
And yes - the certificate of identity is for individuals who are stateless and/or unable to obtain a passport. So unfortunately this isn't an option for you.

You can apply for a PRTD once you are outside of Canada. The other option would be to obtain a US visa and fly to the US, then re-enter Canada through a US/Canada land border using a private vehicle.

Yorker13

May 27, 2013
ok suppose by miracle i got my pr card before december.

i want to know the law or clause where it says u need a valid travel document along with valid PR card to board on a plane to canada.

as far as i know its only having a valid PR card is enough?

please correct me.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

i want to know the law or clause where it says u need a valid travel document along with valid PR card to board on a plane to canada.

please correct me.
If your PR card is renewed in time, then all you will need to board the plane for Canada is that valid PR card and your valid passport. You will not need a PRTD. A PRTD is only needed if you don't have a valid PR card.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

please correct me.
It's up to the airline what will be accepted as identification and travel documents. Your argument is with them.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

please correct me.
While there are some alternative "travel documents" which will facilitate traveling internationally as a passenger on commercial airlines, generally travelers need to carry at least a valid passport.

A passport alone, however, is often not sufficient to board an international flight. And since the implementation of eTA, even a visa-exempt passport is not sufficient to board a flight destined to Canada from abroad. Thus, most travelers need to have BOTH a valid passport PLUS documentation establishing authorization to enter Canada, be that a visa, eTA for visa-exempt passport holders, or for particular individuals the respective document establishing their status in Canada. Thus, for PRs, they need EITHER passport+PRC or passport+PRTD.

For example, see the Air Canada travel documents information (should link), where it states:
  • Canadian permanent residents/landed immigrants returning to Canada from abroad must carry a valid passport and a valid Canadian Permanent Resident Card (PR Card).
The above is typical airline information. While airlines have discretion in what documents they require, their rules derive from the regulations and policies imposed by Canada. And this guideline from Air Canada is not entirely accurate because a valid passport and a valid PR Travel Document will suffice if the PR does not have a valid PR card.

"Travel documents" is a term which tends to be used in multiple senses, often blurring the distinction between what is technically a travel document compared to more general usage in reference to other documents which might be necessary to travel BUT are not technically a "travel document." Like a PR card. The PR card is NOT a travel document. A PR card is a STATUS DOCUMENT.

That is: Since the PR card is primarily necessary and used to obtain boarding flights destined to Canada, many casually refer to it as a travel document, which in a common usage sense it is. BUT it does NOT constitute an official travel document, as such, and alone is not sufficient to facilitate international travel. Nonetheless, once a PR arrives at a Canadian PoE, typically presenting a valid PR card is sufficient . . . but PoE officers can ask to see other documents including the PR's passport.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you have only barely made the RO cut-off and have done a lot of travelling abroad seems you should probably expect secondary review. Seems normal that Canada wants to make sure you met the very lenient RO.

Yorker13

May 27, 2013
hi all,

i see some updates on my application to renew PR card,

it says DECISION MADE.

they started processing my application on october 9, then they wrote a aknowledgment letter have been sent to notify you that we started processing your application.

then in few days, they changed the status to decision made.

is that good or bad, since i done a lot of travel like almost 3 years of travel but have little bit above the required RO around 880 days in canada,
i thought i will go to secondary review...??!!

from ur experience does that mean my application been rejected or approved.?

they changed the status in short period ,which i am happy to see but anticipation is killing me?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
hi all,

it says DECISION MADE.

they started processing my application on october 9, then they wrote a aknowledgment letter have been sent to notify you that we started processing your application.

is that good or bad, since i done a lot of travel like almost 3 years of travel but have little bit above the required RO around 880 days in canada,

they changed the status in short period ,which i am happy to see but anticipation is killing me?
This looks like good news.

I am not clear about the timeline from here. You may be able to discern more about the timeline if you read through the topics specifically about the PRC application timeline. Obviously it will make a big difference if they require you to pick up the card in person or mail it.

While the reporting is a bit sporadic, it appears that the routine case will see a Decision Made, and new card issued, within a relatively short period of time after the date IRCC actually opens the application (date reflected in an acknowledgement of receipt). Which is good news for most, including it appears for you, but not-so-good news for those who do not see a Decision Made within a week or a bit more.

While 888 days is less than half the time in Canada, there are many other factors which influence whether IRCC will have concerns that lead to additional review, be that a formal Residency Determination procedure or Secondary Review. Appearance of actually having settled permanently or at least having strong ongoing ties to a life in Canada loom large. And, frequent travel often indicates a pattern of returning regularly to Canada, indicating strong ongoing tie to a life in Canada, even if the total amount of time abroad adds up to a lot. Which makes for a stronger, positive case.

IN CONTRAST, recent absences for an extended duration tend to suggest the contrary and may give the appearance of a life abroad and that time in Canada is more like visiting than living in Canada. Raising questions.

All of which is to say that IRCC recognizes the multifaceted reality of PR's lives, and actually sorts through which cases warrant closer inspection better than a lot of people realize. In most cases they get it. Not always. But a lot better and more often than they get credit in a forum like this.

Reactions: Yorker13

Yorker13

May 27, 2013
thanks all and dpenabill,

i checked my online status, and it is set on Complete, clicked on it and it says my PR card has been sent on october 24 by mail.

when can i expect it?

how long will it take for the PR card to be delivered by mail?

thanks all

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
i checked my online status, and it is set on Complete, clicked on it and it says my PR card has been sent on october 24 by mail.

when can i expect it?

how long will it take for the PR card to be delivered by mail?
Good news is, well, of course, GOOD.

Others here follow precise timelines more closely than I do. My impression is one to three weeks, but that is more a vague guess based on older reports.

Unfortunately IRCC's "the check is in the mail" tends to affirm the joke, which is to say sure, the decision-making phase is complete and the clerical process for actually sending and delivering the PRC is initiated, but that does not assure the package has actually been put into the hands of Canada Post. In the meantime, Halifax is one of the rotating strike locations, and I do not know if that is going to have an impact on other Nova Scotia mail.

Still, it appears the PRC is on its way.

MUSTAFACAN

Mar 14, 2011
hi all,

it says DECISION MADE.

Congrats!

Hopefully u will receive the card by tomorrow.

Reactions: Yorker13