+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent! Can I continue working?

Jicmaro

Jan 17, 2022
I am a refugee claimant, my work permit expiry date was in January 2022, but I applied for a renewal in October 2021 and got an extension until March 2022.

On Feb 14, I received RPD's negative decision about my refugee claim, and a few days after I received a letter that my work permit was refused because I didn't pay the applicable fees of $150.

I immediately resubmitted a new application and paid the fees.

My question is, can I keep working, or do I need to stop?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I am a refugee claimant, my work permit expiry date was in January 2022, but I applied for a renewal in October 2021 and got an extension until March 2022.

On Feb 14, I received RPD's negative decision about my refugee claim, and a few days after I received a letter that my work permit was refused because I didn't pay the applicable fees of $150.

So you resubmit work permit application after Negative decision? what about "did you file notice of appeal within time limit?"

Jicmaro

Jan 17, 2022
So you resubmit work permit application after Negative decision? what about "did you file notice of appeal within time limit?"

I filed and perfected my appeal to the RAD within the time limit, before 45 days after the day on which I received the written reasons for the RPD decision.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

When did your WP get denied due to not paying fees? Was it after March 2022? When did you submit RAD?

Swagzzy

Jan 28, 2020
When did your WP get denied due to not paying fees? Was it after March 2022? When did you submit RAD?
you do not need to stop working. If your employer request for your renewed work permit, send them the acknowledgment of the renewed one. They understand the process and will allow you to work.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
you do not need to stop working. If your employer request for your renewed work permit, send them the acknowledgment of the renewed one. They understand the process and will allow you to work.
That doesn’t mean you can legally work. It is important to know when the WP was refused.

Jicmaro

Jan 17, 2022
Work Permit Expiry: January 20, 2022
Work Permit Extension till: March 4, 2022
March 8, 2022: WP refused for not submitting fees.
March 8, 2022: RAD Notice of Appeal submitted.
March 10, 2022: New WP application with fees submitted.
April 8, 2022: RAD Appeal submitted

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
poster work permit was refused and he got negative decision at the time when his permit expired. He filed notice of appeal and resubmit WP extension application... In this situation, he was out of status, not under Implied status after he resubmit, I cant find regulation on this, but i would simply say he becomes eligible to work after his WP reapplication's decision. Poster need to consult his/her lawyer.

Anita670

Jan 20, 2021
Yes you are allowed to work, I once applied for a second work permit (which was approved) after receiving a negative result from the hearing. You just have to pay the fees, you can even apply for another work permit on Pre-removal risk assessment as long as you're waiting a decision.

yj09

Apr 26, 2019
I don't think you can work, as your work permit has expired when you submitted a new wp application. You do not have implied status. Whether you have filed the appeal to RAD on time does not related to whether you are allowed to work or not, but it is related whether your work permit can be approved later or not.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Yes you are allowed to work, I once applied for a second work permit (which was approved) after receiving a negative result from the hearing. You just have to pay the fees, you can even apply for another work permit on Pre-removal risk assessment as long as you're waiting a decision.
This may not be correct. Double check the fact before putting that smile on poster’s face

Jicmaro

Jan 17, 2022
This may not be correct. Double check the fact before putting that smile on poster’s face
I am not allowed to work. Just found on CIC website, once the application is refused, applicant must stop working immediately. I will resign tomorrow from my position.

Eazi

Jun 4, 2022
Hi guys! Need some advice here. Was on a study permit that would be invalid on 30th of July 2022, I submitted my refugee claim mid February 2022. I have done my biometrics, Medicals and also handed my passport and study permit for seizure. It's now june 2022 and I only have a month left on my status , how do I change my status from study permit to work permit since my case haven't been referred to IRB.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi guys! Need some advice here. Was on a study permit that would be invalid on 30th of July 2022, I submitted my refugee claim mid February 2022. I have done my biometrics, Medicals and also handed my passport and study permit for seizure. It's now june 2022 and I only have a month left on my status , how do I change my status from study permit to work permit since my case haven't been referred to IRB.
During your eligibility interview, request for the WP and you will continue working soon after receiving your new WP. Its not change of status as refugee claimant technically "do not have status"

Eazi

Jun 4, 2022
So I have to wait till my eligibility interview to request for it? Would they give me some type of document to show my employer whilst waiting for my WP