+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[URGENT] Assistance needed for PRTD application

sk1622

Star Member
Jan 13, 2021
Hi Experienced and Esteemed members,

I need an URGENT help on the current situation I am in.I am trying to look for options to apply for PRTD application for my husband as we had to make an immediate travel outside Canada. Currently,he does not have a PR Card as the application was approved recently. The PR Portal does not show an option to apply for PRTD(as the application there is not updated and "in review with IRCC). Is there a way I can appluy for PRTD alternatively?

I tried to look for options on the official page but I could not find the details of how to apply for paper application/in person. Any leads will be really helpful. Please looking forward for guidance here on what to do as we have our flights booked end of this month for return.

Veyron85

Star Member
Jan 5, 2023
I think you need to apply on paper in the country outside Canada (where are you planning to travel)
I have no idea how long it will take . But I am the same situation

Veyron85

Star Member
Jan 5, 2023
Sorry I went through whole Paige and didn’t find the answer. Could you tell me what did you do in your case ? Thanks !

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry I went through whole Paige and didn’t find the answer. Could you tell me what did you do in your case ? Thanks !
The link takes you right to the OPs same question, where people answered [post 42,434 on page 2829]

Veyron85

Star Member
Jan 5, 2023
Yes I saw answers like :call ircc, cross the border via US.
What did you do exactly finally if I Can ask. Were you able to apply for PRTD?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes I saw answers like :call ircc, cross the border via US.
What did you do exactly finally if I Can ask. Were you able to apply for PRTD?
No, I did not apply for a PRTD; just trying to help you.:)

Have you not called IRCC yet? That seems like your best option.

You can call them at 1(613) 944-4000 from outside of Canada

Veyron85

Star Member
Jan 5, 2023
Thanks )
I am inside Canada and waiting for actual pr card. Have trip to Dubai in 9 days and getting anxious. Processing of prtd might take up to 8 weeks, but my trip is only for 3 weeks…

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks )
I am inside Canada and waiting for actual pr card. Have trip to Dubai in 9 days and getting anxious. Processing of prtd might take up to 8 weeks, but my trip is only for 3 weeks…
Yikes!

There have been a couple of members here, reporting that they applied for a PRTD while still in Canada, but...because they had to falsely state that they were OUTSIDE Canada when applying [online], it's still anyone's guess what will happen. I suppose in your case, you may only have the two, obvious, options:

1. Hope that your PR Card arrives soon after you have left Canada and have it forwarded to you by a family member or friend.

2. Apply from Dubai the minute you land, showing that you have an urgent request based on your return flight and hope for the best.

Clearly, option 2 is less than ideal.

Good luck!

Veyron85

Star Member
Jan 5, 2023
Yes you are right those are my options.
Just thinking what if my card PR will not come within 3 weeks and my PRTD also will not be finished while I am in Dubai. My whole family are Canadians and they will not forgive me this trick :))

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes you are right those are my options.
Just thinking what if my card PR will not come within 3 weeks and my PRTD also will not be finished while I am in Dubai. My whole family are Canadians and they will not forgive me this trick :))
:D
I can't understand why IRCC does not allow a person that has PR status in your situation, to apply for a PRTD before leaving Canada. It could be additional revenue for the agency, since we both know the minute you submit the PRTD, your card would likely `magically arrive a few days later.

Veyron85

Star Member
Jan 5, 2023
And I also don’t understand why they are having option online for PRTD and this option is not available for those who are PR already. If you apply outside Canada when it’s only paper option as you have to bring it physically to the VAC

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
And I also don’t understand why they are having option online for PRTD and this option is not available for those who are PR already. If you apply outside Canada when it’s only paper option as you have to bring it physically to the VAC
Wuh? Are you sure about that?

How can a person apply for a PRTD (no matter how) unless they already have PR status? Even before a new PR receives their card, they ARE a PR, right? The `card' is primarily a travel document, of sorts, to be allowed to return to Canada via a commercial carrier.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes you are right.
but why they don’t give chance to apply online?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-travel-document/how-to-apply.html

3. Submit your application and supporting documents

If you apply online, you’ll submit all supporting documents through the permanent residence portal.

If you submit a paper application, you do need to follow your country or territory’s instructions for how and where to submit your application.

Eligibility
You can apply for a permanent resident travel document if you:
  • are a permanent resident,
  • do not have a valid PR card showing your PR status,
  • are outside Canada, and
  • will return to Canada by airplane, boat, train or bus.