+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Update citizenship in NEXUS

RocketReach

May 31, 2021
Lol. True. I just logged in to my Nexus account again and it has the option to "Activate Membership Card" so I guess they mailed it. Hopefully, it shows up this week.
To close this out, I received my card on July 14. Just in time for international travel on July 16. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: evdm

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
I, too, got my card yesterday (June 14th) so just under 2 weeks from the interview date.

It printed with Canadian as my citizenship, but the "membership information" section still lists my Netherlands passport as document proving citizenship and allowing entry to US.

I'll probably take a day trip to Niagara at some point and do a walk in to clarify. Would be nice to have the YYZ location open...

Don't recall when the activate card link appeared.

Reactions: RocketReach

Mexontario

Sep 9, 2020
Windsor, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
02-05-2014
Doc's Request.
23-06-2014
AOR Received.
04-06-2014
File Transfer...
23-06-2014
Med's Request
23-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Passport Req..
26-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-11-2014
LANDED..........
04-04-2015
To close this out, I received my card on July 14. Just in time for international travel on July 16. Good luck everyone!
Cool. I too received my card sometime this week. Thanks to USPS for not sending informed delivery mails this week. I decided to randomly check my mailbox anyway today and saw Nexus card along with bunch of other mails.

Reactions: RocketReach

NewCad20

Jul 19, 2022
I have this exact situation as well where I need to update my documents to my new Canadian Citizenship.

Question: Am I able to update this at the airport when crossing the border? A friend told me that when he had to update his immigration documents (US Visa), he simply told the US agent when crossing the border that 'he couldn't use his NEXUS as he had to update some documents'. He was then sent into another line where the agent updated his documentation prior to letting him cross.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is this possible or is there a more recommended option.

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
I have this exact situation as well where I need to update my documents to my new Canadian Citizenship.

Question: Am I able to update this at the airport when crossing the border? A friend told me that when he had to update his immigration documents (US Visa), he simply told the US agent when crossing the border that 'he couldn't use his NEXUS as he had to update some documents'. He was then sent into another line where the agent updated his documentation prior to letting him cross.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is this possible or is there a more recommended option.
I don't have experience with this, particularly. However, I'm assuming that you would be sent to the agents who can also do Global Entry Enrollment on Arrival. https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/enrollment-arrival

Mexontario

Sep 9, 2020
Windsor, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
02-05-2014
Doc's Request.
23-06-2014
AOR Received.
04-06-2014
File Transfer...
23-06-2014
Med's Request
23-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Passport Req..
26-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-11-2014
LANDED..........
04-04-2015

Not all border posts have the ability to update your TTP documents. They may redirect you to the enrollment center. The best method would be to call the nearest NEXUS enrollment center and see what they have to offer. Some centers (assuming that is the same center where you had the initial interview) update your documents via a simple email.

flyingpbandj

Jan 31, 2018
Coquitlam, BC
Went to the Blaine Nexus enrolment centre this past Saturday to update my citizenship information. No need for an appointment, bring your citizenship certificate and passport.

I wasn’t able to use nexus going into the US, but was advised I could use it on the way back to Canada.

After 24 hours I went online and requested a new card. I made sure my citizenship and documents were already up to date in the TTP portal.

Immigreat81

May 28, 2017
The advice in the previous pages worked well for me. Call CBSA, leave a voicemail. Got a call back to email documents to the Canadian side. It was someone's work email address so I won't be sharing it here.
Also, faxed the documents to the Blaine WA. office (360 366-4380). Received a call the same day saying the information had been updated.

Reactions: mgnlky

harpreethwalia

Star Member
Dec 27, 2017
Just want to update my experience for everyone's reference.

My wife already had nexus (under Indian Citizenship, Canadian PR). I applied separately for me (under Indian Citizen, now Canadian) and for my minor daughter (dual citizen).

We (me and my daughter) were conditional approved long back but then it all went on hold. After becoming Canadian Citizen (all of us), I checked and booked an appointment with Detroit Enrollment center. We went for our interview yesterday. My wife only had to update her Canadian Citizenship, Current address and Driving License information.

For me and my daughter, we provided our passports, my Driving license. The person took our records and updated in their systems. The officer took our picture, fingerprint. No questions. We were provided some information about nexus in general. We were told our Nexus will come with Global Entry and TSA Pre-check. and we should receive it in under 30 days.

My wife already had nexus but since her Citizenship was updated (from India to Canada now) , she was asked to "replace" her nexus card online in 1-2 weeks.

Lapsusone

Dec 21, 2022
I, too, got my card yesterday (June 14th) so just under 2 weeks from the interview date.

It printed with Canadian as my citizenship, but the "membership information" section still lists my Netherlands passport as document proving citizenship and allowing entry to US.

I'll probably take a day trip to Niagara at some point and do a walk in to clarify. Would be nice to have the YYZ location open...

Don't recall when the activate card link appeared.
Hi @evdm

Quick question for you, I have my appointment coming up soon at the border, and I think I'm in a similar situation as yours, as-in I am a permanent resident of Canada, but with a French passport. My question is did you need to apply for ESTA to enter the US for your appointment?

Thanks!

srikrishna84

Mar 31, 2023
Had my interview today. Got a phone call while I was driving from Toronto to Detroit saying I could come in at any time and didn't have to wait for my specific appointment time.

There were no CBSA officers working in the Enrolment Centre today because of the Canada Day holiday.

My TTP dashboard now reflects that I'm a Canadian citizen, but my Netherlands passport is still listed as the document proving citizenship and allowing entry to the US. Hopefully this updates or I'll have to do a walk-in in Niagara.

Fingers crossed the card comes soon, and shows my citizenship as Canadian.
Can you please update us if this was resolved? Im in similar situation where i updated my documents at Blaine , WA Center yesterday, but it still shows my Indian Passport and Visa under Documents to enter USA. Thanks.

anirm92

Jul 11, 2018
Toronto
Can you please update us if this was resolved? Im in similar situation where i updated my documents at Blaine , WA Center yesterday, but it still shows my Indian Passport and Visa under Documents to enter USA. Thanks.
Hi - I am seeing the same. However, if I go into "Update documents" section, I do see the Canadian passport listed on there (along with my older passport).

Any updates there for you ?

cara269

Mar 23, 2018
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Hi , just my experience updating my PR to Canadian Citizenship on my Nexus ,went to Pearson YYZ about a month ago , no appointment needed walked in sign the book and was called upon the CBSA officer took all my info copies Canadian passport and Citizenship certificate and kept my Nexus card and told me a CBP officer comes once a week takes all the documents and goes back to the states and have to wait till the info is change and it will take a wile ,Canada side is updated keep on checking your , So I decided to call the CBP whirlpool nexus office in Buffalo NY to inquire how my citizen info hasn't been updated on the US side so I can order the new card online , the CBP officer told me the fact the Canadian Nexus officer in YYZ told you a American CBP officer takes documents there is " false you have to come in personally to any enrollment center bring your Canadian passport and the Citizenship change will be made" , so I say after the Caribana jump up and had nothing to do yesterday wife and I decided to take the road trip to Buffalo, Whirlpool since they close 8 pm on a Sunday ,crossing the boarder into the USA was no problem first time using my Canadian Passport all was asked purpose to visit "to update my Nexus Citizenship at the enrollment center".
At Whirlpool enrollment center not busy at all just one couple was there doing the process. The CBSA officer took my passport alone not even the Canadian certificate make sure it was updated and hand it over to the USA CBP officer , she took 10 mins to update my Citizenship info in the portal and it will take 10 mins to show up in my profile . Also when I'm applying for the new card online use the Lost option and not the change citizenship line ,it will better that way because I will have to return in person to verify my address . Returned last night back home in Toronto ,went into my profile and all my info was updated and ordered the New car $25 US or $33 Cad. I will advise going to Person airport to update your nexus citizenship don't believe anything the officers says there you will be waiting forever for the usa side to get your info ,go into a enrollment center where both CBP and CBSA officers can update it less than 20 mins time , will update you guys when I get the updated card in the mail.

Reactions: ppcg2510 and A_S

MelVan

Star Member
Aug 2, 2022
Offering my data point: I received my Canadian passport last Thursday, and went to YVR last Friday to update my citizenship and passport on the Canadian side -the Canadian Nexus office took copies of my citizenship certificate and passport, punched in a few keystrokes on the computer and said you'll need to update on the US side when you next travel to the US, or you can go to the office in Blaine and update there. It took about two minutes to do this.

I drove to Blaine today and (out of an abundance of caution as my existing Nexus card showed my old citizenship and (now destroyed) PR card number as the pass ID) I used the regular lane to cross the border using my Canadian passport. At the Nexus office in Blaine, I presented my Canadian passport, citizenship certificate and Nexus card at reception, and the clerk there updated everything on the spot and said when I got back to Canada I should apply for a replacement card by reason of citizenship update. She said I could use my Nexus card to reenter Canada, but once I apply for a replacement card, my old card will be cancelled and should not be used to travel to the USA. It all took about two minutes.

When I got back home from Blaine today, I logged into my GOES account, applied for a replacement card on the basis of citizenship change, and received approval after a few minutes. Now just waiting for it to arrive in the post in about 10 days' time!

Reactions: zagcollins