+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

University of Windsor September 2013 Applicants

May 10, 2013
Hi ..
I had applied to the University of Windsor for the M Eng course in Electrical and Computer Engineering Sept 2013.
I was wondering if I need to have an academic advisor to land an admission to the program.
Also, with a Btech degree - 75.4% and IELTS - 8.5 and 18 months IT experience really curios to know about my chances of getting an admission :)

Oswin

Apr 12, 2013
I have applied for University of Windsor for M.Engg in ECE dept and got admission. I didn't get the letter yet. But I got a mail stating that i got admission.
The duration of the course is only 16 months.

HOW MANY YEARS I CAN STAY AFTER MY GRADUATION??

Some body pls tell.

When i called to my nearest uWindor office (Hyderabad), they said I will get 3 yrs, since it is considered as 2 years program.
ie) 16 months + 3 years.

Is that true?

tomsware

Dec 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-05-2013
Doc's Request.
already submitted with application
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
25-07-2013
IELTS Request
Rossei said:
Things to notice:

(1) If you want to do PhD, it's always better to be in a university rather than in a college. I'm not sure if a PG diploma will suffice towards direct PhD. I don't think it will and therefore, you may have to pursue Masters from a university after a PG diploma.
(2) In Canada, a PhD in CS would be over-qualified for the jobs available. We don't have IBM R&D or some kind who hire these people. So, your best bet would be in academic line (professor-ship).
(3) uWindsor grads find it very difficult to do higher studies in other reputed universities.
3) uWindsor grads find it very difficult to do higher studies in other reputed universities.

Can you please enlighten further?

tomsware

Dec 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-05-2013
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
25-07-2013
IELTS Request
458 Bridge said:
U will get in that Prog.
I did m MBA from Odette. You should call them up and ask whats the delay. Remember to call the Centre of Excellence for your admission.
MOm prog is Under them.
At last found an odette MBA ...

Got admitted there .. Would appreciate if you could kindly share your exoerience ... In whichever aspect you feel appropriate ...

Thanks

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
tomsware said:
3) uWindsor grads find it very difficult to do higher studies in other reputed universities.

Can you please enlighten further?
For example, if you do bachelors from uWindsor, you will probably end up doing Masters in same university (if you want to do Post-Grad) getting frustrated being refused from other universities no matter how good your GPA is. This is because all the best universities don't value a degree from uWindsor and the rest (good~better universities) will just the follow them. Doing PhD afterwards would almost be same; but USA schools look for more PhD candidates than Masters and hence you may have slight chance for PhD somewhere else.

tomsware

Dec 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-05-2013
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
25-07-2013
IELTS Request
Rossei said:
For example, if you do bachelors from uWindsor, you will probably end up doing Masters in same university (if you want to do Post-Grad) getting frustrated being refused from other universities no matter how good your GPA is. This is because all the best universities don't value a degree from uWindsor and the rest (good~better universities) will just the follow them. Doing PhD afterwards would almost be same; but USA schools look for more PhD candidates than Masters and hence you may have slight chance for PhD somewhere else.
why dont they value uWindsor, just to know.

in almost every ranking, UW is within top 30 universities, leaving behind almost 30 other regular ranked universities ...

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
tomsware said:
why dont they value uWindsor, just to know.

in almost every ranking, UW is within top 30 universities, leaving behind almost 30 other regular ranked universities ...
That means UoW has a 50th percentile. Moreover, no one cares about the last 30~40 schools out of probably 70~80 universities in Canada. I can bet that some names are not even said in daily life.

From my experience at UoW (BASc in Electrical Eng, 4 co-op terms, research in my final year with post-grad students); I can point out some reasons behind UoW's "reputation":

(1) Quality of students (really average Canadian students come to UoW and UoW is also kinda open to Int'l students)
(2) Quality of faculty (I can write an essay on it, but in one word "Terrible")
(3) Average facilities (new engineering bldg may bring some glory)
(4) Course curriculum (I said somewhere else that other good schools are very reluctant to accept any credit from UoW. Reason: course load too moderate, exams too simple etc.)
(5) Research activity and funding (both low)

Venkat Sudeep

Apr 19, 2013
HIi, I got admission into university of windsor
but i dont know whether to go there or not, i have got mixed reviews and i am confused,
my admission is for MEng in Electrical and computer Engineering.

Please help me regarding this, I need valuable information to take it or not...

1.Is it a good University?
2.Does it have transfer options after the first semester?
3.Is the feez comparitively affordable?
4.Do we have partimes off campus?
5.The teaching capability?

please also give a overall review... I have really less time applying to my visa.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
1.Is it a good University?
It's an average university.

2.Does it have transfer options after the first semester?
Not sure about M.Eng, but generally it will be extremely hard to transfer credits to better schools.

3.Is the fees comparatively affordable?
In Ontario, the tuition of uWindsor is moderate; but compared to other provinces it's high.

4.Do we have part-times off campus?
I really didn't understand but if you're talking about part-time off-campus jobs; that's doable in restaurants, gas stations etc. ($6~$9 per hour)

5.The teaching capability?
Again, I didn't get it. M.Eng students cannot be TA or GA. In engineering at uWindsor, you have to be a MASc students to get a GA-ship. And to become a lecturer en route to professor; you have to do PhD.

tomsware

Dec 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-05-2013
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
25-07-2013
IELTS Request
hello brother:

good day.

i am going to uWindsor for MBA this fall 2013.

can you kindly advice me:

1. accommodation
2. post work permit- is it two years of 14 months, after the mba?
3. any other point you feel like to share?

thanks a lot.

tomsware

Dec 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-05-2013
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
25-07-2013
IELTS Request
so, who is finally going to uWindor this fall 2013?

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
tomsware said:
hello brother:

good day.

i am going to uWindsor for MBA this fall 2013.

can you kindly advice me:

1. accommodation
Off-campus housing will be lot cheaper. There are tons of student houses and few apartments all around the school. Normally, house owner will lease you a single room for 4/8/12 months with a rent $250-$350/month. Get utilities included. Kitchen, washroom & common area are shared by all tenants. You can all pay for shared internet and cable.

Fall session is always busy and you should look for houses at once. Try this: http://www1.uwindsor.ca/isc/off-campus-housing

2. post work permit- is it two years of 14 months, after the mba?
Not sure, but the rule says:

A work permit under the PGWPP may be issued for the length of the study program, up to a maximum of three years. A post-graduation work permit cannot be valid for longer than the student’s study program, and the study program must be a minimum of eight months in length. For example, if you graduate from a four-year degree program, you could be eligible for a three-year work permit if you meet the criteria. If you graduate from an eight-month certificate program, you would be eligible for a work permit that is valid for no more than eight months.

3. any other point you feel like to share?
Study hard, make contacts & take every opportunity (14 months will pass by faster than you think)

tomsware

Dec 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-05-2013
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
25-07-2013
IELTS Request
Rossei said:
Off-campus housing will be lot cheaper. There are tons of student houses and few apartments all around the school. Normally, house owner will lease you a single room for 4/8/12 months with a rent $250-$350/month. Get utilities included. Kitchen, washroom & common area are shared by all tenants. You can all pay for shared internet and cable.

Fall session is always busy and you should look for houses at once. Try this: http://www1.uwindsor.ca/isc/off-campus-housing
Not sure, but the rule says:

A work permit under the PGWPP may be issued for the length of the study program, up to a maximum of three years. A post-graduation work permit cannot be valid for longer than the student's study program, and the study program must be a minimum of eight months in length. For example, if you graduate from a four-year degree program, you could be eligible for a three-year work permit if you meet the criteria. If you graduate from an eight-month certificate program, you would be eligible for a work permit that is valid for no more than eight months.
Study hard, make contacts & take every opportunity (14 months will pass by faster than you think)
thanks.

puneet28

Mar 7, 2013
Hi guys..

I am doing B.Tech in Mechanical and I have completed 6th semester.

Currently I am having aggregate of 78% in my Bachelors (Most probably would end up with above 80%)

Intermediate (10+2) = 81.7%

High School = 89.7%

I need to know How much is total fee for M.Eng in Mechanical with Automotive ?

How are the part time jobs and salary for that ? I know students are allowed to do 20 hours per week job.

I would be applying for September 2014, for that When exactly would I have to apply ?

Please tell me about Job Opportunities for Automotive Students and Work Visa / Residence Visa post studies.

How much score is needed in IELTS ? is GRE needed ?

Any other requirements for admission besided LORs etc.?

With my academics is it right university to apply for ? Can I get better university for automotive studies in Canada ?
Thanks

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
puneet28 said:
I need to know How much is total fee for M.Eng in Mechanical with Automotive ?
Around $30,000. $3,000 per course, you can calculate the rest. uWindsor has a tool for this: http://web2.uwindsor.ca/finance/fee-estimator/index.php

How are the part time jobs and salary for that? I know students are allowed to do 20 hours per week job.
Do you mean automotive part-time jobs? That would be almost impossible. If you're talking about survival/odd jobs; you can work in gas stations/ restaurants/ grocery shops with $6~$9/hour. Int'l students are normally underpaid for their work hour restrictions.

I would be applying for September 2014, for that When exactly would I have to apply ?
Deadline would be July 1, 2014 [Source: http://www1.uwindsor.ca/engineering/master-of-engineering-program-meng]. But I assume you should apply long before (April or May). Others who applied recently may give you more accurate info.

Please tell me about Job Opportunities for Automotive Students and Work Visa / Residence Visa post studies.
Not so good unless you do a co-op/internship in a good company.

How much score is needed in IELTS ? is GRE needed?
GRE isn't required for M.Eng. An IELTS score of 6.5 is required. Check your general requirements: http://www1.uwindsor.ca/registrar/admission-requirements-faculty-of-graduate-studies

Any other requirements for admission besided LORs etc.?
http://www1.uwindsor.ca/professional/admission-requirements-meng-mechanical-engineering-auto-option

With my academics is it right university to apply for ? Can I get better university for automotive studies in Canada?
uWindsor has been regarded the best for automotive engineering. But during the auto industry crisis in 2008-10, some plants along with 3rd party parts-developer went bankrupted resulting in huge lay-offs, pay-seize, restructuring etc. But again, the big 3 (GM, Ford & Chrysler) have desperately been trying to turn around. All I want to say is it's not same as it used to be; but things may get better.

McMaster is well known for their Mechanical Eng. uToronto & uWaterloo would have lot higher requirements to get into.

Personally, I did my undergrad in Electrical Eng at uWindsor and I would never do a post-grad degree from there. :)