+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

University of Victoria

singlarun

Jan 22, 2018
I have recently applied to Doctorate of Chemistry for Fall 2018 session and got this revert from Graduate office.

"The Chemistry Graduate Studies Committee has reviewed your application and has determined that you should apply for an MSc rather than PhD. Your MSc from Kurukshetra University is course based and therefore you would not have the research experience for a PhD at UVic. Would you consider changing to MSc?"

I have given my consent on their query,Does they seriously considering me for the master program or it was just an casual information they passed to me?

Apr 30, 2018
Hey C,

Hope you had a Merry Christmas! I have no gifts, just a bunch of questions for you! Hehe, sorry.

I got an email from the ECE Department that I've been recommended for grad studies (MEng - EE, Summer 2017), and in all likelihood I will be accepting the offer once the Grad Admissions department reviews my file. From what I've read on the internet, the engineering professors are made out to be like scrooge when it comes to studies.. Is this true? What is the industrial co-op like?

What sports are popular there? Any sign of equestrian sports?

Will I have time to travel as a grad student? Is it favourable to hitchhike in BC?

Thanks a ton!

Cheers,
SD

Zhao Mei Ying

Dec 26, 2017
Hi ,
I’ 39, have BE civil, MSC ( quantity Surveying ) and more than 10 years work experience. I am planning to try MSc civil or MEng civil. How do you guys think if school will accept me ? How is is possibility for student permit?
IELTS is no issue to get 6.5-7
Financial also no problem .

Zhao Mei Ying

Dec 26, 2017
Hi @chrbrow,

Good Day!!!

i was going through UVIC website and had below questions:

what is the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering- Meng course duration? 2 years or less?

what exactly can Computer science students can expect in this program if they want to apply - Meng Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering

I understand this program - Meng is to enhance knowledge beyond undergraduate level , but what subjects of electrical will be included ?

what is the difference between Computer Science (MSc) industrial option and master's of engineering (MEng)in-Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering as this also have project in the course?

Please help me to understand

Regards,
K
I think it’s research and project

Somie

Feb 7, 2019
Good Day,

It is possible to switch your program after you have been accepted, but I would advise that you wait until your study permit is granted. The key is that you maintain status as a student for your entire stay in Canada. You will be here temporarily, with permission to study (not work). Step one for you should be to get admitted to the University then apply for a study permit.

Living off campus is quite common and you can search online at www.usedvictoria.com or www.kijiji.com for some apartments or basement suites to rent. Rent varies, but expect to pay at least 800$ a month for a one bedroom apartment or basement suite. Anything with two bedrooms is usually minimum 1000$. However you can luck out and find decent places for cheaper. It all depends on how much time you spend looking for the right place. Transportation is best by bus. You can buy monthly passes for around 30$. The transit system doesn't have skytrains like Vancouver, but it has a decent bus system, which can take you where you need to go. It is well set up for bus transport at the University.

Working off campus is possible but as outlined under the Immigration Regulations, you mustn't exceed 20 hours per week, and you must maintain your status as a student throughout your stay. This basically limits you to some part time work such as restaurants, tutoring, etc. If you have a talent in a science, math etc. you can make a website and start a tutoring site for other students. I have seen this take off and the rates are good.

Sounds exciting! Hope you get accepted and come to Victoria!

best,

chrbrow
Hello! Please can I ask you questions about UVic?

Kranthi318

May 18, 2019
Hello there,

I am a mechanical undergraduate student .Now i am in a thought of applying meng in mechanical engineering in univ of victoria. What is my chance of acceptance for this course in uvic.

My grades:
B.tech % = 74.88%
Ielts = 6.5 ( no less than 6 in each band)

devilshock

Feb 20, 2020
Hello,

I am a local resident of Victoria and past student at the University. Ask me about Uvic!

C
Heyy,
I recently applied to UVic after asking the Middle-East/India recruiter to rate my chances.
I have a predicted final score of 86%(approx. 3.4GPA), SAT score of 1330, and an IELTs score of 7.5.
The recruiter told me that my chances of getting in were pretty high considering the fact that I had pretty high scores in Maths & Computer Science.
Still have to submit my IELTs score through British Council but will be doing that within the next few days.
So... As you are a student of UVic, could you please rate my chances of admission for BSc Computer Science program fall 2020 intake?
Also, what are my chances of getting study permit as an Indian living in Dubai?