+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

University of Victoria

chrbrow

Star Member
Nov 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I am a local resident of Victoria and past student at the University. Ask me about Uvic!

C

Tanya1617

Star Member
Nov 25, 2016
does Victoria university responds to Indian Students? How much intake do they prefer for Indian students. I wanted to apply for MEng for sept 2017 session.

chrbrow

Star Member
Nov 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

Short answer is yes. You must meet the requirements for Masters degree, but yes, there are international students in Engineering at Uvic, and it is quite popular. If you're smart, have decent undergrad, good IELTS and enough $ to pay then you should have just as good of shot as any other.

Best,
Chris

Akko

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
First I would like to thank you for your kind initiative, I've applied for MSc program in Mechanical Engineering (Summer semester) three months ago and my application has been forwarded to the department but I have not got any response since then. Is this mean that I'm not accepted or still there is a chance ?

My profile is:

BSc in Mechanical Engineering cumulative grade is 66.2%
Enrolled in MSc in Industrial and Management Engineering (Expected to graduate in Feb 2017) YTD GPA is 3.1/4
Have a publication in IEEE Xplore
TOEFL score 98
6 years experience as a maintenance engineer in APM Terminals

chrbrow

Star Member
Nov 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Akko said:
First I would like to thank you for your kind initiative, I've applied for MSc program in Mechanical Engineering (Summer semester) three months ago and my application has been forwarded to the department but I have not got any response since then. Is this mean that I'm not accepted or still there is a chance ?

My profile is:

BSc in Mechanical Engineering cumulative grade is 66.2%
Enrolled in MSc in Industrial and Management Engineering (Expected to graduate in Feb 2017) YTD GPA is 3.1/4
Have a publication in IEEE Xplore
TOEFL score 98
6 years experience as a maintenance engineer in APM Terminals
Good Day,

I am trying to figure out if Engineering has a summer intake ... Can't seem to find that information. Do yo have a link you can send me where you applied? Or when it said you could start in Summer?

For regular summer programs, the cut off is usually March 31, which means they don't let you know you r status till after that date.

One other thing to consider, your academic average for your undergrad is low. Reading on the engineering website, the minimum requirements is a B+ average on the last 2 years of study.

That is just an initial assessment of your case. If I were you I would reach out to them and inquire about processing times.

Best,

C

Akko

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
Hello,

You can find it in the "suggested deadlines" in the below link

https://www.uvic.ca/engineering/mechanical/prospective-students/graduate/admissions/index.php

Regarding my undergrad grade I believe they would consider my grades in MSc in the last two years,I already contacted grad. admission and they encouraged me to directly contact the professors to grant admission, I already contacted all of them several months ago but none of them have replied.

subhan7

Sep 16, 2016
Nice initiative..!!

Can you tell me about funding availability in MAsc? I am currently in my final year of undergraduate program(B.Eng), Electrical Engineering as majors.
My CGPA is 3.81/4.0, 3.9 in last 2 years of study. I also have one conference publication from my Final Year Project.

M.Saeed

Star Member
Nov 28, 2015
chrbrow said:
Hello,

I am a local resident of Victoria and past student at the University. Ask me about Uvic!

C
Thank you very much.

I have a BA in English Translation from outside Canada. I want to transfer my credits at Victoria U. into English Literature. I have been told that i may need to study for 2 years of full-time for undergraduate courses.

I am an international student. after finishing the transfer, this transfer will give me the post-graduation work permit?

chrbrow

Star Member
Nov 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
M.Saeed said:
Thank you very much.

I have a BA in English Translation from outside Canada. I want to transfer my credits at Victoria U. into English Literature. I have been told that i may need to study for 2 years of full-time for undergraduate courses.

I am an international student. after finishing the transfer, this transfer will give me the post-graduation work permit?
You will have to apply for a PGWP. There are minimum requirements to meet to be considered for this program. Have you researched this yet?

chrbrow

Star Member
Nov 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
subhan7 said:
Nice initiative..!!

Can you tell me about funding availability in MAsc? I am currently in my final year of undergraduate program(B.Eng), Electrical Engineering as majors.
My CGPA is 3.81/4.0, 3.9 in last 2 years of study. I also have one conference publication from my Final Year Project.
I will look into this for you, but don't get your hopes up. Funding for internarional students is hard to get. I will see about an application for this though. Check back with me in a week if you haven't heard by then.

Best

C

aditi11

Sep 6, 2012
Hey everyone.

I got admit in uvic for mba fall 2017
is there anyone else going for mba there?

Aditi

Kumar_08

Mar 14, 2015
Thanks for taking initiative and providing valuable information.

I have applied UVIC -MSc in Computer science just before the deadline date for fall 2017.

Usually how long will it take University/program department to consider the application and send approval for the admission ?

Bachelors in Computer Science -74 % Distinction
Schooling and Pre graduate- both above 80 %
IELTS -6.5
Work experience - 7 yrs in Information Technology from Multi National company.

How should i approach for the scholarship in UVIC. Please let me know. Thanks in Advance. :) :)

chrbrow

Star Member
Nov 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kumar_08 said:

I have applied UVIC -MSc in Computer science just before the deadline date for fall 2017.

Usually how long will it take University/program department to consider the application and send approval for the admission ?

IELTS -6.5

How should i approach for the scholarship in UVIC. Please let me know. Thanks in Advance. :) :)
Hi There,

I will look into this particular program for you and see if there is a timeline to refer to. Generally speaking, scholarships are something to be applied for after you've been accepted. Here is more information about that:

Financial Support
There is the potential for several sources of financial support. Note, support payments from supervisors is typically for research-based programs. Support payments are subject to satisfactory academic performance and the availability of funding.

Please use the Financial Support Menu on the right to navigate this page.

Financial support normally comes from four main sources:
Fellowships
Research grants
Teaching assistantships
Salaries paid by employers of part-time or co-op students
Student financial support is the sum of:
Normally, Teaching Assistantship (TA) hours
research salary from the supervisor or from a scholarship, an average of 40% of working time (RA)
Tuition & Fees
SEE: http://www.uvic.ca/graduatestudies/finances/tuition/

Funding
(Start of Page)
NSERC Award. If you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada and your GPA is higher than 85%, you should consider applying for an NSERC post-graduate fellowship. The NSERC scholarship is very competitive and mostly based on academic performance.

University of Victoria Fellowships. The University of Victoria awards a small number of fellowships each year. They are open to domestic and international (Visa) students with nominations originating from the supervisor. Students must be full-time and achieving a 1st class gpa or equivalent on the last 2 years of study. The Department fellowships are currently $13,500 for one year for MSc students and $15,000 for PhD students. Fellowships for PhD students are renewable for a second year subject to their achieving first-class results (A-) on courses and a recommendation from the department.
UVic Fellowship Support (from September 2009)
Fellowship Research Assistantship (RA) suggested Teaching Assistantship (TA) from CS Dept (example based on 100 hours of work per year
Total
MSc $13,500 <$4,600 $2,421 apprx. $20.892
PhD $15,000 <$4,600 $2,421 apprx. $22,392

University of Victoria Graduate Awards. minimum $5,000/year, maximum $10,000/year. Typically non-renewable. Nomination must originate from supervisor. Students holding a TA position in the department are eligible for Graduate Awards. Currently the award amount is based upon the number of TA hours as well as a position completed with a positive evaluation. These awards require maintenance of a minimum 6.5 GPA.

Standard Research Support. If you do not receive any award, you may be offered research grant support (or from some alternative source funding, e.g. an industrial grant or contract) directly from your admitting supervisor. Separate application forms are not required.

Domestic MSc students may receive $13,392 in Research grant support, international MSc students $14,026. Domestic PhD students may receive $14,586 in Research grant support, international PhD students $15,273 (the difference in amounts is geared to offset the differential in the fee structure).

The research-based student may receive a fellowship or standard support-- not both.

The UVic fellowships and UVic awards are awarded mainly on the basis of academic excellence to applicants who apply for a September entry point. In addition, a supervisor usually adds research grant support.

chrbrow

Star Member
Nov 26, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kumar_08 said:

IELTS -6.5

When your application has been "forwarded to the department", inquiries about its status may be directed to the Computer Science Graduate Secretary (gradsec@csc.uvic.ca).

When the decision to admit an applicant is made, the Graduate Advisor sets the academic and financial terms with the admitting supervisor. Two formal offers of admission are sent via email-- one by the Graduate Advisor on behalf of the Department and a separate one by Graduate Admissions and Records of UVic. You will need to follow-up with each separate email.

If admission is denied, formal notification is sent from Graduate Admissions and Records.

In my experience the graduate departments at Uvic operate on different schedules so I can't give you an exact timeline to your request. My best advice is to email the address above and keep in touch that way. Note that I found the cut-off date for Fall 2017 entry to be Jan 15. So it is likely that no decisions will be made before that date, since they will still be accepting applications.

Hope this helps

chrbrow

Kumar_08

Mar 14, 2015
Thanks again Chrbrow for replying to my query precisely. It helped me to understand better.

Well after reading the complete information you posted the immediate question i got is regarding what if the admission is denied?

i know there could be/might be quite a few reasons for denying the admission, but still again i would like to know with the kind of profile i have what could be the reasons for denying the admission.

Secondary school education - 84 %
Pre Graduate - 93 %
Bachelors in Engineering- 74 % Distinction (generally we call Masters degree as Post graduation )
(B.E) /graduate

IELTS- 6.5
not less than 6 in any of the individual sections and university requirement is 6.5

And nearly 7 years of Information Technology work experience in Networking/Operating system domain/Virtualization etc.

Please provide your thoughts/information . Thanks