+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

unfortunate but true

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@ Edgar

Don't take torontosm seriously. I personally think he is a part time government employee being paid minimum wage to come on websites such as these so that people dont tarnish the image of Canada. If you read carefully some of the things he says are ludicrous to say the least. The Canadian government does a great job in silencing and keeping people in a constant state of confusion (often times better than USA) by putting elements such as these in pockets of resistance( be it in social media, news media or social gathering). They did it when they tried to create "occupy bay street movement"....Ha! It hardly lasted a week in Canada. I am pretty confident that elements such as torontosm get paid to create a clear and straight path for the Federal government Marketing department so that more sheep (i.e economic immigrants) can be imported in order to be slaughtered (i.e ripped off economically) every year. And the process goes on since you gotta keep the conveyor belt well greased and rolling

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@Newtone & @Edgar:

Goodness Gracious me!!

Canada is not the "Promised Land". There are good & bad experiences for immigrants.

Some may seem exaggerated, depending on one's *personal* experience.

I've seen & experienced both good and bad as an immigrant here in Canada. Most recently, I'm seeing that it's getting harder & harder to get a good job; whether one has just landed or whether one has been here for a while. It's affecting Canadians too. Not just immigrants.

One should be honest about one's experience, while trying not to exaggerate either way. I could write up my immigrant-to-Canada experiences either way: Sometimes Canada has loved my international experience/ Sometimes Canada hates me because I'm a foreigner.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Whatt???? Its not the promised blessed milk and honey land???? Nooo way!!. Thats not what appears on their immigration website nor their promotional video. I want my money back and also the years wasted here :(

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
newtone said:
Whatt???? Its not the promised blessed milk and honey land???? Nooo way!!. Thats not what appears on their immigration website nor their promotional video. I want my money back and also the years wasted here :(
:lmao: oh, me too ;).

But it seems like my home country lies too ... And is not too keen to have me back ... ;)

alinec

Aug 9, 2012
lebanon
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
File Transfer...
2010 from damascus
Med's Request
26 september 2011- remeds 25 february 2013
Med's Done....
remeds 8 march 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
1st request: november 2011 // second request: 26th july 2013
VISA ISSUED...
first issue january 2012- SECOND ISSUE 22 AUGUST 2013
LANDED..........
13 October 2013
Why are you guys still in canada? this is baffling. If someone hates a place that much, one should leave (i am talking in general canada, india, USA, france, germany, whatever..).

To succeed/live happily here, one should have patience and should embrace western culture - you like it or not.

If you come from your country and only mingle with your own community you will find it very hard to assimilate your new life. Life in Canada is hard with the current economy and the huge competition you face. For sure it differs between a profession and another, for me and my husband, it was bit hard but i would say fairly predictable, we found jobs (we are both architects) and we are still, after one year figuring our life here.

To find jobs !! i had to research for a year before we moved from our country (Lebanon). i had to search for what Canadian firms look at including skills, experience etc.. and then we had to target these points and to accept the fact that in North America things work differently. Networking here is totally different and more complex than doing it in your own country. i saw someone ranting that how come you cannot find a job without networking in canada, well my friend you cannot do that in any part of the world right now. Networking is the key might be social media might be your social life whatever.. but yes you do need it to get better opportunities.

For us, my husband went through the bridging program Iplan (JVS Toronto) and from there he got a job (again we noticed that people with experience have more chance to get a job than fresh graduates who will have to get more courses and training here).

As for racism, we haven't encounter any sign at least us, though we are profiled as arabs, and well you know how our reputation goes in this part of the world lololol :)) We do for sure meet people who are prejudice but i guess this is normal with the current media.

Anyways.. just wanted to say my opinion.. wish you good luck guys and i hope you will find what are you looking for here or in other part of the world.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
Edgar Poe said:
I was on fb the other day and messaged the rcmp about their joke on a new recruit. Told them respectfully how so I never see minority in the force? You only see one as token on parades anyhow but never see a minority cop patrolling the streets. The funny part is their answer, "Canada is a lot different than Texas"
By that you know. The situation, and their stand on everybody else.
If not for my wife and child here, I will never make such huge monetary sacrifice.
I was living the American Dream even if its abroad. Now, am an American living in this banana.
I've seen plenty of RCMP cops who are visible minorities in Surrey, including brown and black.

Edgar Poe

Apr 10, 2015
jazibkg said:
I've seen plenty of RCMP cops who are visible minorities in Surrey, including brown and black.

Good for you on seeing them.

@ alinec

What are you talking about?

Its a lot different than the discussion held now here.

I do find arabs ok. I loved your language and culture though. Minus the "you know what" lol

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jazibkg said:
Those are precisely ones that are
1) hired to be the poster kids for Marketing campaign
2) especially hired so that it doesn't look that bad when they arrest visible minorities

Reactions: Svet81

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lammawitch said:
:lmao: oh, me too ;).

But it seems like my home country lies too ... And is not too keen to have me back ... ;)

ummm okay, so then why make the effort to come all the way here to get lied again

alinec

Aug 9, 2012
lebanon
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
File Transfer...
2010 from damascus
Med's Request
26 september 2011- remeds 25 february 2013
Med's Done....
remeds 8 march 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
1st request: november 2011 // second request: 26th july 2013
VISA ISSUED...
first issue january 2012- SECOND ISSUE 22 AUGUST 2013
LANDED..........
13 October 2013
Edgar Poe said:
Good for you on seeing them.

@ alinec

What are you talking about?

Its a lot different than the discussion held now here.

I do find arabs ok. I loved your language and culture though. Minus the "you know what" lol

EDGAR.. Excuse me but since you guys (you and flute) have so many similar discussions going on.. i thought why not post my opinion here. (but of course i can copy paste it into the other similar discussions you guys having :p).

In any case, my intention was not "you know what" but just to point out for other future newcomers that experiences are different from one to another. And there is no black or white here ..

PS: I am not looking to see if YOU find arab ok.. but i was merely pointing out the racism issue that Flute was talking about in the other discussion (s)

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
Geez..it happened again.. Why do threads disappear? Censorship on the forum again? Was looking forward to Newtone's answer...

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i got to page 5 of this and gave up reading, so I apologize, I'm probably repeating stuff already said or missing vital parts of this argument.
I'm an immigrant, PR is in progress. The vast majority of my friends here are also immigrants with PR applications in process. We all came here in our early twenties, so I think we can be considered first generation adult immigrants? We all landed professional career jobs. None of us work in jobs we're overqualified for, we all get salaries, benefits, sick pay, vacation, vacation pay and other benefits at our work's discretion. In fact, all the people I know that moved here found jobs in their fields. I know people struggled at first, I did too, but we adapted to how it works in Canada and we're all doing well.
Writing off a country because you struggled is a bit over dramatic. Every immigrant I know is succeeding, we might not be running companies or high up in politics, but succeeding nonetheless. I don't know why some of you are unable to find work in your field, but in my experience that is definitely not the experience of the majority of immigrants.

Kevin9

Mar 12, 2015
purplesnow said:
i got to page 5 of this and gave up reading, so I apologize, I'm probably repeating stuff already said or missing vital parts of this argument.
I'm an immigrant, PR is in progress. The vast majority of my friends here are also immigrants with PR applications in process. We all came here in our early twenties, so I think we can be considered first generation adult immigrants? We all landed professional career jobs. None of us work in jobs we're overqualified for, we all get salaries, benefits, sick pay, vacation, vacation pay and other benefits at our work's discretion. In fact, all the people I know that moved here found jobs in their fields. I know people struggled at first, I did too, but we adapted to how it works in Canada and we're all doing well.
Writing off a country because you struggled is a bit over dramatic. Every immigrant I know is succeeding, we might not be running companies or high up in politics, but succeeding nonetheless. I don't know why some of you are unable to find work in your field, but in my experience that is definitely not the experience of the majority of immigrants.
I agree with you. I have been here since my early twenties and have found no problem finding a job. Began as an intern like most of us do and today have a good white collar job. I feel age plays a very important part. When I landed I had no responsibility of kids or wife. I was ready to take risk and do whatever leverage being young single in this big city provided me. Today I meet individuals who are in their late thirties and have landed with whole family. I am not saying it is impossible, but it will be tough for them to find a job. I suggest if you guys have top managerial positions in your own country, then take a leave and come here first, apply for jobs and see if you can find one.

milo2015

Star Member
Dec 24, 2014
Calgary, Alberta,Canada
newtone said:
I think what the OP is trying to say is since he already spent so much time in US it will be painful to start from scratch in Canada. I can see how this would be a problem considering the scarecity of jobs. Even a measly labour job requires you to go through a wall of interviews as if they are sending you to the moon. The problem is employers and employees in Canada live in an environment of fear because nobody has money. Taking risk to Canadians is such a taboo. Employers wont spend money to hire or train and employees will hang on to jobs with dear life.

Canada is a great place if you are a refugee fleeing persecution. Its also a wonderful place for minorities fleeing their own country. It provides a fairly descent social safety net to help people who are lost in life and do not have any options or ambitions. Canada is not for people who are ambitious, looking to have a white collar job or start a company and grow it like Dell, McDonalds, Walmart etc. The reason for that is the government needs to first fill its pocket first before you can, add the beaucracy on top of that, this demotivates people and kills their morale to pursue anything in life.

People in US dont fear the idea of loosing a job as much as they have in Canada because US has money to spend. Over the last 50 years US has created hundreds of multimillion dollar companies. These companies are the backbone of the economy which is why there isnt an unemployment fear in people and the question of where is my next job greatly reduced

+1
100% true and from personal experience of 6 years studying and working(white collar jobs) here in Canada....
People dont mention the issues associated having working white collar jobs i.e. no overtime,being worked afterhours,office bureaucracy and politics,constant fear of losing job(and boss will indirectly tell you how lucky you are having this job). if you are straightforward and don't know how to manipulate people ,you are screwed(atleast in Telecom and IT world)

Having said that,never give up and continue to look for better opportunites,dont sit back and relax

reference:Worked for Top Canadian service provider and small IT company

Reactions: Svet81