+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UNDUE DELAY IN IRCC RESPONSE FOR PR CARD RENEWAL

chella99

Star Member
Mar 22, 2007
Dear All,

I had applied in May 2019 for the renewal of my PR Card. I had not fulfilled the RO, but put in my application as I had certain other possible grounds to request the authorities to consider my case favourably. Seeing a long delay and the online status 'In process', I had enquired quite a few times thru webform. On Sep 2, 2020, I received a response email to my enquiry, that my case for renewal has been considered favourably. The email also mentioned that my case has been chosen for a physical pick-up of the card. It also stated that I will receive a mail/email advising of the documents to be brought by me and the timing by when I may be called. The online status had also changed to 'Decision Made'. Also, I came to know that my file has been transferred to the IRCC Office at Hamilton.

Since that email of Sep 2, 2020, I repeatedly enquired thru webform. So far I have not received anything such as the mail/email that they said that they will send. (referred above). It is more than 12 months since that email of Sep 2, 2020 and about 2.5 years since my application was submitted (May 2019).

My questions are:

Have they really decided to renew my card ?

Will they send the email that they said that they will be advising me of the documents and stpes ?

Or have they misplaced or closed my file without proper intimation to me?

Since I am out of Canada, I will require a PRTD to travel. Should I wait for the email/mail to be received so that it forms the basis for applying for PRTD or can I apply now for PRTD with the risk of it getting rejected ?

I also understand that nowadays only Etobicoke Office of IRCC is open for PR card matters in Ontario. If so, will my file be again transferred to Etobicoke Office and may I be asked to come over there ?

There seems to be too many uncertainties and ifs and buts in my case.

I will be very very thankful for valuable views and suggestions on what I should do now.

Thanks to all in advance.

Chellamani

BadGamer6

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2019
Toronto
Dear All,

I had applied in May 2019 for the renewal of my PR Card. I had not fulfilled the RO, but put in my application as I had certain other possible grounds to request the authorities to consider my case favourably. Seeing a long delay and the online status 'In process', I had enquired quite a few times thru webform. On Sep 2, 2020, I received a response email to my enquiry, that my case for renewal has been considered favourably. The email also mentioned that my case has been chosen for a physical pick-up of the card. It also stated that I will receive a mail/email advising of the documents to be brought by me and the timing by when I may be called. The online status had also changed to 'Decision Made'. Also, I came to know that my file has been transferred to the IRCC Office at Hamilton.

Since that email of Sep 2, 2020, I repeatedly enquired thru webform. So far I have not received anything such as the mail/email that they said that they will send. (referred above). It is more than 12 months since that email of Sep 2, 2020 and about 2.5 years since my application was submitted (May 2019).

My questions are:

Will they send the email that they said that they will be advising me of the documents and stpes ?

Since I am out of Canada, I will require a PRTD to travel. Should I wait for the email/mail to be received so that it forms the basis for applying for PRTD or can I apply now for PRTD with the risk of it getting rejected ?

I also understand that nowadays only Etobicoke Office of IRCC is open for PR card matters in Ontario. If so, will my file be again transferred to Etobicoke Office and may I be asked to come over there ?

I will be very very thankful for valuable views and suggestions on what I should do now.

Chellamani
I will try to answer to the best I can based on your situation described above, only take them as grain of salt - I'm NOT a professional after all.

A: Yes. They said your application is selected for pick-up, which means you just need to wait for them to contact you to go to your local IRCC, in this case - Hamilton office will contact you. Or in another word, your application was approved and selected for an in-person interview, at that interview they will give you the new card.

A: Yes, the email will tell you what to bring and where to go, as well as the date.

A: offices across Canada have stopped in-person pick up since March 2020, only recently some offices are slowly resuming this process. Don't overthink.

A: are you still in breach of your RO (730 days in the past 5 years)? If you are, that might be a different story. Even you have a positive H&C renewal, I don't know how abroad visa office would look into that, especially now you have been selected for an in-person pick up. But maybe the RO concern is already overcome - I'm not sure at all. I am not well-educated on how this would complicate your case. I invite @dpenabill @scylla @steaky to answer this.

A: that's not the case. Etobicoke is handling a lot of new PR card processes, but local IRCCs also handle PR card related matters. In this case I would think Hamilton IRCC will contact you to go there for pick-up.

I hope my two cents can help at least a little.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Since I am out of Canada, I will require a PRTD to travel.
I do NOT KNOW what your status is for sure. I am NO expert. And a lot probably depends on how long you have been outside Canada in the meantime. Among other factors.

@BadGamer6 referred to what is probably the biggest factor: "are you still in breach of your RO (730 days in the past 5 years)?" And vaguely referenced what that might mean: "If you are, that might be a different story." Oh yes, quite likely a very different story.

I would note, if you are continuing to be in breach of the Residency Obligation, others have already offered some helpful observations in the other part of the forum where your situation was being discussed over the course of the last year, including in particular @MidoRafa's September 5, 2020 post here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/pr-renewal-decision-made.685564/page-2#post-8872734

But as of now, again @BadGamer6 referred to what is probably the biggest factor. In particular, if you have been IN Canada most of the last two years, for example, and only recently left Canada, @BadGamer6 has covered most of your questions. In particular, if you have been IN Canada more than 730 days within the last five years . . . as of now and as of the date you make an application for a PR Travel Document . . . you should be OK and you would just need to get back to Canada before you are again in breach of the PR Residency Obligation. You will then be able to sort things out, and proceed to obtain the new PR card, once you are back in Canada.

And even if you are somewhat short of having been IN Canada 730 days within the last five years (again, as of now and as of the date you make an application for a PR Travel Document), if you have MOSTLY been in Canada the last couple years you might be OK. In this scenario it can depend on other circumstances in your situation and history. In particular, if you are currently not in compliance with the RO, but fairly close and otherwise have been establishing yourself in Canada the last couple years, it is very difficult to forecast how things will go when you apply for a PR TD or, if you are able to travel via the U.S., you manage to travel via the U.S. and arrive at a land border Port-of-Entry (PoE) into Canada without obtaining a PR TD. You will still be dependent on H&C relief, based on circumstances as of the date you make the PR TD application or the date you arrive at a PoE into Canada.

BUT if you have NOT been in Canada much during the last two years, and are not now in compliance with the RO, SORRY . . . does NOT look good. . . . although, again, I am NOT sure, I am NO expert, and the current status of things can depend on factors apart from how long you have been outside Canada in the meantime.

Your Personal Safety Net: Since you have a Canadian spouse living in Canada who presumably could sponsor your PR visa application if you lose PR status, you have an option, a safety net, many other PRs do not have. (Note that both citizens and PRs are "Canadians" who can sponsor family class PR visa applications.)

Thus, OVERALL . . . there is such a huge, huge difference in your situation depending on the extent to which you have been IN Canada during the last two years, and on whether you are currently still NOT in compliance with the RO, it would not be fruitful to get into the details without clarification about whether you are currently in breach of the RO, noting that:
-- if you are NOW in compliance with the RO, or at least if you have spent most of the last two years in Canada, things are likely to be OK, you just need to get back to Canada, BUT​
-- if you have been outside Canada most of the last two years, it is highly likely your PR status is very much at risk of being lost​
-- you likely have a safety net, assuming your Canadian spouse can sponsor you if you lose PR status​

Some of the discussion in the other part of this forum warrants an explanation:
When I made my application, I stated everything clearly and truthfully and also the fact that I have not fulfilled the RO. So I presume that they are aware of this right at the inception of processing of my application in May 2019. In such an event, to ask me to prove for fulfillment of RO, either for PRTD or for the card pickup seems somewhat contradictory.
Every day is a DIFFERENT Residency Obligation calculation. The calculation is always based on days in Canada within the five years previous to that day that it is being calculated. Even if the person's status depends on H&C reasons, the H&C evaluation depends on (1) the PRs situation on the particular date that status is being determined, and (2) that includes, especially, how many days the PR has been in Canada, or outside Canada, as of that date. So a calculation based on an examination in September 2020 (let alone 2021) is going be very different from the calculation of RO compliance (including H&C considerations) made based on a PR card application made in May 2019.

Even a PR with a brand new, very recently issued PR card, must still be in compliance with the PR RO going forward . . . and thus the PR with such a new card can be examined upon arrival at a Port-of-Entry when returning to Canada and could be determined to be in breach of the RO if as of THAT DAY, there at the PoE, the PR has not been in Canada at least 730 days within the previous five years, again as of THAT DAY. Or, say, IRCC issued the new PR card and mailed it to your family's home in Canada, and they attempted to mail it to you abroad, but it was lost in the mail. So you had to apply for a PR Travel Document to make the trip back to Canada. To be eligible for a PR TD you would need to show you were in compliance with the RO as of the day you made that PR TD application, or show you had sufficient H&C reasons for keeping PR status, again as of THE DAY the PR TD application is made.

In regards to the particular question you asked, in regards to having to do a personal pick-up to get a newly issued PR card, it is very likely @MidoRafa was right on point:
. . . they may be trying to give you a chance to prove that you have settled (or are in the process of settling) in Canada instead of denying your application (and proceeding to revoke your status) outright.

Dear All,

My questions are:

Chellamani

chella99

Star Member
Mar 22, 2007
Dear Dipanabel, Badgamer6,

Thanks so much so much for the extremely detailed and incisive analysis and views on my case.

I have one ques:

One way or the other - Why even after lapse of so much time, IRCC has not sent the email/mail that they hve referred to ?
I think I should keep fingers crossed and wait for it !

Thanks a lot.

BadGamer6

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2019
Toronto
Dear Dipanabel, Badgamer6,

Thanks so much so much for the extremely detailed and incisive analysis and views on my case.

I have one ques:

One way or the other - Why even after lapse of so much time, IRCC has not sent the email/mail that they hve referred to ?
I think I should keep fingers crossed and wait for it !

Thanks a lot.
I think I answered above, the offices are not open yet, thus no emails. But the critical question here for you is: are you still in breach of RO or not? It might change our answers completely.

dahmed

Feb 8, 2021
Hi DeaNrs,
Very informative discussion. Please clarify my queries also.
I applied for my son PR renewal in Oct 2019. From that time this is in process till today. My SON finished his GCSE for UAE and started university form September 2018. So at the time of renewal he stayed only for one year. However, he is living in Canada form the ager of just one month after he turned 18 years (in July 2018). He finished his residency requirement and we applied of citizenship in September 2021.
1- Please advise if his citizenship application will also be impacted due to delay in PR card renewal.
2- He got a job in Alberta province for next year (This is his final year of his university). If by that time PR card is not renewed, will his employment will be affected?
Please advise

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I applied for my son PR renewal in Oct 2019. From that time this is in process till today. My SON finished his GCSE for UAE and started university form September 2018.So at the time of renewal he stayed only for one year.
What? This is not at all clear. Have you received any further information or communications from IRCC, at all?

But most important - not where he did his education and when but when he has been phsyically in Canada and for how long. (Age may matter a bit but not certain)

However, he is living in Canada form the ager of just one month after he turned 18 years (in July 2018). He finished his residency requirement and we applied of citizenship in September 2021.
Also not really clear.

Let's boil this down: what matters most, as first approximation, is when he was in Canada and for how long, and related dates of when he applied for PR card renewal and citizenship.

1- Please advise if his citizenship application will also be impacted due to delay in PR card renewal.
It won't be affected by his PR card renewal. But as above, that's not the actual important part.

2- He got a job in Alberta province for next year (This is his final year of his university). If by that time PR card is not renewed, will his employment will be affected?
Short form, no. Let's assume he has a SIN number, and that whether or not his PR card is renewed, IRCC won't have actually revoked his PR status by that point (which I have no reason to think is the case except for the complete confusion above and long processing time). Again, basically assuming that if he applied for citizenship, that he'd been resident in Canada three of the last five years.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi DeaNrs,
Very informative discussion. Please clarify my queries also.
I applied for my son PR renewal in Oct 2019. From that time this is in process till today. My SON finished his GCSE for UAE and started university form September 2018. So at the time of renewal he stayed only for one year. However, he is living in Canada form the ager of just one month after he turned 18 years (in July 2018). He finished his residency requirement and we applied of citizenship in September 2021.
Please advise
How old is your child? Assume you applied for PRTD based on H&C if he had only spent a month in Canada or did he return to Canada to renew his PR card?

dahmed

Feb 8, 2021
How old is your child? Assume you applied for PRTD based on H&C if he had only spent a month in Canada or did he return to Canada to renew his PR card?
My son is currently 21 years and 4 months. He was in Canada and studying in university when we applied or his PR renewal. However, he completed 14 months residence obligation instead of 24 months at the time of renewal.

dahmed

Feb 8, 2021
What? This is not at all clear. Have you received any further information or communications from IRCC, at all?

But most important - not where he did his education and when but when he has been phsyically in Canada and for how long. (Age may matter a bit but not certain)

Also not really clear.

Let's boil this down: what matters most, as first approximation, is when he was in Canada and for how long, and related dates of when he applied for PR card renewal and citizenship.

It won't be affected by his PR card renewal. But as above, that's not the actual important part.

Short form, no. Let's assume he has a SIN number, and that whether or not his PR card is renewed, IRCC won't have actually revoked his PR status by that point (which I have no reason to think is the case except for the complete confusion above and long processing time). Again, basically assuming that if he applied for citizenship, that he'd been resident in Canada three of the last five years.
Yes we received AOR and his cased is showing "in progress" in ECAS. I also sent two three times WEB FORM query and same response is received that all the documents are complete and case is in progress.

He was in Canada at fourth year of initial PR (from 18 years and on month of his age) and therefore completed around 14 months of residency when his renewal date arrived. So we applied for renewal. However, after that he never moved out of Canada till today and completed the 3 years of citizenship requirement and therefore we applied also for his citizenship.
Hope the timeline is clear

Regards.

Aleks30

Star Member
Oct 1, 2021
How do you all manage to get answers from WEB FORM?
I made a huge number of inquiries - and always replies from an answering machine about Afghanistan. (as if no one reads them).
My application has been pending since August 2019.(-in process)
And I don't think that in the next 5-10 years, someone will remember about my application for updating Prcard.
I advise people not to wait for alms from IRCC. And apply for citizenship.

Reactions: Rasha

Aleks30

Star Member
Oct 1, 2021
I think that when a huge article appears in the CIC.ca newspaper and other large newspapers in Canada about how IRCC scoffs at new immigrants, does not respond to requests, and forces them to leave the country, IRCC will themselves look for whoever wrote it.