+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UAE Driving license acceptance in Canada April 2018

Wolverine17

VIP Member
Mar 28, 2016
Most likely you fall under...
Countries With No Agreement

If your license is from a country that is not in the list above, you must present official, written confirmation of your driving experience.

Written confirmation is an original letter from the original licensing agency (such as the ministry of transportation in your country or state), or from the Embassy, Consulate, or High Commissioner's offices representing the country.

The letter must be:

• Written on official letterhead
    • Written in English or French - If it is written in another language, you must submit a letter of translation from a qualified translator.
    • Dated - It cannot be more than 6 months old.

This letter must include information about:

• The date first licensed
    • License expiry date
    • Class of license
    • That the license was valid for the relevant period of time for the purposes of exchange and experience
Source .... https://settlement.org/ontario/daily-life/transportation/driver-s-licence/i-have-a-driver-s-licence-from-another-country-how-do-i-get-an-ontario-driver-s-licence/

SO....

Before you move...
Get a driving license history out from the Ministry of Interior General Directorate of Traffic...
Contact the Ministry for documents regarding the valid dates of your license and traffic accidents recorded against you
Phone: 17872222, Fax: 17686429, Email:traffic@batelco.com.bh.
Once you are able to receive such a doc, you should get it attested by Foreign Ministry(of Bahrain)...

Under 2 years driving experience (no exchange)

When you apply for an Ontario driver’s license, you need to:

• take a written test about rules of the road and traffic signs
  • take an eye test

Before you get a full license, you also need to take two road tests (G1 and G2).

You can book the first road test (G1 road test), after you pass the written and eye tests.

After you pass your G1 road test, you cannot take your G2 road test right away. You need to wait until you have one, full year of driving experience. For example, if you’ve had your foreign license for 8 months, you can take your G2 road test after 4 months in Ontario. After you pass the G2 road test, you get a full license.

Source....https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence#section-2
Do i need an international driving license or no?

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Do i need an international driving license or no?
New residents
My personal opinion(i could be wrong as well).. You do not require an IDL.. When I moved here the car rental companies(Avis, enterprise etc.) never even bothered to ask me for a IDL.

When you move to Ontario, you can use a valid license from another province, state or country for 60 days. After 60 days, you need to switch to an Ontario driver’s license. https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence#section-2

Please check requirements for other provinces here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/new-life-canada/driving.html

Reactions: Wolverine17

Nobatia

Aug 20, 2017
United Arab Emirates
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
29-12-2017
AOR Received.
29-12-2017
Med's Done....
15-01-2018
Passport Req..
02-05-2018
VISA ISSUED...
03-06-2018
LANDED..........
13-10-2018

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
So what do we ask them to give and what is it called
Go online to the RTA webiste: https://traffic.rta.ae/trfesrv/public_resources/public-access.do?switchLanguage=en and apply online. The email you back the driver history..
Get that driver history attested by Ministry of Foreign Affairs(UAE) at MofA building in Bur Dubai or Al Manara Municipality building on Shk Zayed Rd.

Document should not be older than 6 months else it will not be accepted by the Driving Test Centers here in Canada

Last edited:

Umbreen zubair

Feb 3, 2018
Sep 9, 2018
Go online to the RTA webiste: https://traffic.rta.ae/trfesrv/public_resources/public-access.do?switchLanguage=en and apply online. The email you back the driver history..
Get that driver history attested by Ministry of Foreign Affairs(UAE) at MofA building in Bur Dubai or Al Manara Municipality building on Shk Zayed Rd.

Document should not be older than 6 months else it will not be accepted by the Driving Test Centers here in Canada

I had two fines in my UAE license(one speed fine and one parking fine) and I have paid them. It's showing on the experience certificate, will it be an issue while requesting for Canadian license i.e., Is clean driving record mandatory

Umbreen zubair

Feb 3, 2018
I had two fines in my UAE license(one speed fine and one parking fine) and I have paid them. It's showing on the experience certificate, will it be an issue while requesting for Canadian license i.e., Is clean driving record mandatory[/QUOTE

I also have some fines on my license in UAE , what i do first i pay my fines than i asked them to clear and check my record please , than they charge extera 100 aed. To give me record clearances certificate which clearly say that i have cleared all my dues and proves my clean history. It will take some time to update on system.
Than i applied for UAE experience certificate and pay fee again.which was nice and clean just states my experience that's it.
I guess it charges me just 100aed extra to get clean chit. Check if u can try.

Sep 9, 2018
I have paid the fines as well while back, it's just showing as paid. For clearing the records, did you request online or in person, please share some details on the procedure.

In between, there are two pages in the certificate, the first one is Experience certificate which says there is no traffic violence and the second one is driver history which is the one showing the fines and those fines are more than one year old. Please find below URLs for screenshots of the certificate. I am not sure if we have to really clear this. Anyone faced this issue with Canadian licensing agency.

https://ibb.co/nfP9LU
https://ibb.co/kb6pLU

Last edited:

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
I had two fines in my UAE license(one speed fine and one parking fine) and I have paid them. It's showing on the experience certificate, will it be an issue while requesting for Canadian license i.e., Is clean driving record mandatory
Naah don’t worry, in the last 15 yrs of driving in Dubai I had so many speeding and wrong parking fines(and also had some black-points) :D does not matter... get the DL history attested from Ministry of Foreign Affairs either in Bur Dubai(old Pakistani consulate area) or Al Manara building on S zayed rd..

They are only interested to know from the certificate that how old is your driving license from your home country is... they are not interested if you have fines or not... do not pay the 100 dirhams extra to wipe out thee records...

Last edited:
Reactions: jaggeo
Sep 9, 2018
Naah don’t worry, in the last 15 yrs of driving in Dubai I had so many speeding and wrong parking fines(and also had some black-points) :D does not matter... get the DL history attested from Ministry of Foreign Affairs either in Bur Dubai(old Pakistani consulate area) or Al Manara building on S zayed rd..

They are only interested to know from the certificate that how old is your driving license from your home country is... they are not interested if you have fines or not... do not pay the 100 dirhams extra to wipe out thee records...
I have done with attestation but they have attested only the first page - Experience Certificate not the second page - Driver History. The guy doing the attestation told me that the attestation is not required for the second page. Is it ok?
And also he asked me not to show the Driver History page to the Canadian Agency since its showing fines, did the Driver History page you have submitted had fines and Canadian agency accepted this?

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
I have done with attestation but they have attested only the first page - Experience Certificate not the second page - Driver History. The guy doing the attestation told me that the attestation is not required for the second page. Is it ok?
And also he asked me not to show the Driver History page to the Canadian Agency since its showing fines, did the Driver History page you have submitted had fines and Canadian agency accepted this?
Yes that’s correct attention is done on the first page only...
I remember submitting both pages and they were focused only on the first page and asked me question if this history is less than 6 months old or not