+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UAE Driving license acceptance in Canada April 2018

Gr8AmirM

Star Member
Nov 21, 2015
Hi Experts
I want to know if UAE driving license is acceptable now in Canada as per the following update.

https://gulfnews.com/news/uae/government/now-uae-driving-licence-accepted-in-over-50-countries-1.2199821

How can it be verified?

If it is acceptable, a newly issued License from UAE can be exchanged or not?

what class license can we get in exchange for a new UAE driving license?

Is whole Canada accepting now UAE license or only some provinces? I have not seen any update for Alberta regarding this exchange.

Reactions: Nobatia

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi Experts
I want to know if UAE driving license is acceptable now in Canada as per the following update.

https://gulfnews.com/news/uae/government/now-uae-driving-licence-accepted-in-over-50-countries-1.2199821

How can it be verified?

Is whole Canada accepting now UAE license or only some provinces? I have not seen any update for Alberta regarding this exchange.
1. It appears that the acceptance is for driving as a visitor, not PR exchanges.

Gr8AmirM

Star Member
Nov 21, 2015
Hi

1. It appears that the acceptance is for driving as a visitor, not PR exchanges.
You may be right but it also mentions following (Which implied that guys from these countries can exchange their driving license in UAE. And this should not be possible if the same countries not accepting exchange of UAE license on their homelands. i.e it should be vise versa)

"Some residents living in the UAE will not be required to undergo rigorous driving tests as they can easily change their driving licence issued by their home country to that of the UAE’s
The list of countries are: UK, US, France, Japan, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland, Denmark, Greece, Spain, Sweden, Austria, Ireland, Norway , Turkey, Canada, Poland, South Korea, Finland, South Africa, and Australia."

Reactions: Monil7

drasticinput

Apr 10, 2018
Hi!

UAE Licences need a letter from RTA (Driving experience letter) which can be downloaded from the Dubai Police app. With that document, you can easily apply for the G1 License at Drivetest.ca (pass a MCQ test of 20 questions). The license takes 10 days to arrive to your postal address. Once you pass the test, you immediately get a document which allows you to set up a G test appointment straightaway (provided they have appointments).

The above GN article implies that you do not need an international license anymore. The international DL was anyway a redundant document which is simply a translated booklet and not an actual license. the UAE DL is in English and Arabic and most countries recognize it as valid proof while renting a vehicle or otherwise.

P.S.: You can drive for 3 months on your UAE license when you first arrive.

Nobatia

Aug 20, 2017
United Arab Emirates
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
29-12-2017
AOR Received.
29-12-2017
Med's Done....
15-01-2018
Passport Req..
02-05-2018
VISA ISSUED...
03-06-2018
LANDED..........
13-10-2018
Hi!

UAE Licences need a letter from RTA (Driving experience letter) which can be downloaded from the Dubai Police app. With that document, you can easily apply for the G1 License at Drivetest.ca (pass a MCQ test of 20 questions). The license takes 10 days to arrive to your postal address. Once you pass the test, you immediately get a document which allows you to set up a G test appointment straightaway (provided they have appointments).

The above GN article implies that you do not need an international license anymore. The international DL was anyway a redundant document which is simply a translated booklet and not an actual license. the UAE DL is in English and Arabic and most countries recognize it as valid proof while renting a vehicle or otherwise.

Thanks for sharing, really helpful to know it.

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Hi Experts

How can it be verified?

Not sure if you have got feedback on your queries before...
You cannot exchange UAE driving with Canadian driving license https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence

-If your driving license is relatively new, you will be required to appear for G1(knowledge test) - G2(intermediate lic. - road test required (you can only take this test once you complete full 1 year on your license)). https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence#section-2(Ref: Under 2 years driving experience (no exchange))
-If you are driving license is 2+ years, you will be required to appear for G1 and then you can appear for a G (main license - road test(incl highway) required) ((Ref: 2+ years driving experience (no exchange))

You should order a UAE driving license history. You can use the RTA website/smart app to do that., if you are in Dubai. You may need to get it attested from Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Dubai(they have a branch in Al Manara Municipality building on SZR) and carry it along when you move to Canada. The original doc is required to be submitted at Drive Test locations(if you are moving to Ontario). this history/letter should not be more than 3 months old
You will need to bring in your original passport

Reactions: Nobatia

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Hi!

Just a small clarification...

New residents
When you move to Ontario, you can use a valid license from another province, state or country for 60 days. After 60 days, you need to switch to an Ontario driver’s license. https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence#section-2

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
For obtaining Canadian license,am talking about Bahraini license
Most likely you fall under...
Countries With No Agreement

If your license is from a country that is not in the list above, you must present official, written confirmation of your driving experience.

Written confirmation is an original letter from the original licensing agency (such as the ministry of transportation in your country or state), or from the Embassy, Consulate, or High Commissioner's offices representing the country.

The letter must be:

• Written on official letterhead
    • Written in English or French - If it is written in another language, you must submit a letter of translation from a qualified translator.
    • Dated - It cannot be more than 6 months old.

This letter must include information about:

• The date first licensed
    • License expiry date
    • Class of license
    • That the license was valid for the relevant period of time for the purposes of exchange and experience
Source .... https://settlement.org/ontario/daily-life/transportation/driver-s-licence/i-have-a-driver-s-licence-from-another-country-how-do-i-get-an-ontario-driver-s-licence/

SO....

Before you move...
Get a driving license history out from the Ministry of Interior General Directorate of Traffic...
Contact the Ministry for documents regarding the valid dates of your license and traffic accidents recorded against you
Phone: 17872222, Fax: 17686429, Email:traffic@batelco.com.bh.
Once you are able to receive such a doc, you should get it attested by Foreign Ministry(of Bahrain)...

Under 2 years driving experience (no exchange)

When you apply for an Ontario driver’s license, you need to:

• take a written test about rules of the road and traffic signs
  • take an eye test

Before you get a full license, you also need to take two road tests (G1 and G2).

You can book the first road test (G1 road test), after you pass the written and eye tests.

After you pass your G1 road test, you cannot take your G2 road test right away. You need to wait until you have one, full year of driving experience. For example, if you’ve had your foreign license for 8 months, you can take your G2 road test after 4 months in Ontario. After you pass the G2 road test, you get a full license.

Source....https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence#section-2

Umbreen zubair

Feb 3, 2018
My UAE driving licence is 7 years old with clean history . I also got an international licence from UAE .
I am now an international student in Ontario . So how much time will take to get Canada driving licence . How much tests i have to go thorough.
How long i can drive in UAE licence?

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
My UAE driving licence is 7 years old with clean history . I also got an international licence from UAE .
I am now an international student in Ontario . So how much time will take to get Canada driving licence . How much tests i have to go thorough.
How long i can drive in UAE licence?
Do you have the diver history letter issues by Dubai RTA or Abu Dhabi Police and certfied by the Ministry of Foreign affairs in UAE or UAE Embassy, in Canada?
If you have this, then you can go from G1(knowledge test), mandatory -> G(main road test, includes highway driving test) (you will have only shot at this). If you are not able to pass the G rd test you will have to appear for the G2 (intermediate rd test, city driving skills) and then later move to G rd test again...

If you do not have the above letter, you will have to go through G1 -> G2 -> G route....

https://drivetest.ca/licences/drivers-licences-cars.html

Umbreen zubair

Feb 3, 2018
Do you have the diver history letter issues by Dubai RTA or Abu Dhabi Police and certfied by the Ministry of Foreign affairs in UAE or UAE Embassy, in Canada?
If you have this, then you can go from G1(knowledge test), mandatory -> G(main road test, includes highway driving test) (you will have only shot at this). If you are not able to pass the G rd test you will have to appear for the G2 (intermediate rd test, city driving skills) and then later move to G rd test again...

If you do not have the above letter, you will have to go through G1 -> G2 -> G route....

https://drivetest.ca/licences/drivers-licences-cars.html
I am applying for DUBAI RTA Letter.i am traveling soon to Canada .so will bring with me.
Thanks for reply

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
I am applying for DUBAI RTA Letter.i am traveling soon to Canada .so will bring with me.
Thanks for reply
Go to Al Manara Municipality bldg(the same place you can get the immigration stuff) on Shk Zayed Rd, there you have a Ministry representative who does these attestation. Please ensure that this letter should not be older than 6 months...