+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Two or More Certificates, Degrees or Diploma - Let's Get it Sorted

travelwithme

Jun 29, 2020
Hi guys
I would appreciate if I could get help from anybody in regard to my express entry profile.
I graduated from the Canadian College from a 2-year program in the accounting field. After I got my PGWP and acquired my work experience to be eligible for the Canadian Experience Class. However, at that time I didn't have enough points with my 2-year diploma to receive an invitation. I decided to advance my 2-year diploma into a 3-year diploma to get more points. I went back to Canadian College and took an extra 1 year and graduated from Accounting and Finance a 3-year diploma. So in total, I've studied for 3 years. Right now I am trying to fill out my EE profile and kinda struggling with the education section. How should I fill out my education, so by the end of the day I could receive points only for 3-year diploma instead of 2 diplomas (2-year and 3-year)
Thank you in advance for your help!

Puttna03

Apr 25, 2019
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
19-09-2020
Med's Done....
04-11-2020
Hi,

Please let me know whether you gave 3 or 2 years for full academic years for diploma? And also for Btech is it 4 or 3. My case is also same like you and i am really confused what to fill in the profile. Please reply, i am expecting ITA in next week.

Thank you so much! For engineering(any discipline) and diploma(any discipline), the field of study should be "applied science" is it? or for computer science engineering/diploma, should it be "computing/information technology"?

Jul 3, 2020
Woodstock, ON
Category........
CEC
Well, I have been answering same for many applicants. Want to add the following clarifications from two other authentic IRCC sources-

Paragraph 78 (1)(e) of Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (SOR/2002-227).

Education (25 points)
  • 78 (1) Points shall be awarded, to a maximum of 25, for a skilled worker’s Canadian educational credential or equivalency assessment submitted in support of an application, as follows:
  • (a) 5 points for a secondary school credential;
  • (b) 15 points for a one-year post-secondary program credential;
  • (c) 19 points for a two-year post-secondary program credential;
  • (d) 21 points for a post-secondary program credential of three years or longer;
  • (e) 22 points for two or more post-secondary program credentials, one of which must be a credential issued on completion of a post-secondary program of three years or longer;
  • (f) 23 points for a university-level credential at the master’s level or at the level of an entry-to-practice professional degree for an occupation listed in the National Occupational Classification matrix at Skill Level A for which licensing by a provincial regulatory body is required; and
  • (g) 25 points for a university-level credential at the doctoral level.
  • Marginal note:More than one educational credential
    (2) For the purposes of subsection (1), points
    • (a) except as set out in paragraph (1)(e), shall not be awarded cumulatively on the basis of more than one educational credential; and
    • (b) shall be awarded on the basis of the Canadian educational credentials or equivalency assessments submitted in support of an application for a permanent resident visa that result in the highest number of points.
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/page-18.html#docCont

Those who are saying second degree must be after bachelors should read above. 78(1)(e) clearly says two or more post-secondary program credentials. Basically you can claim points for all post secondary credentials which are assessed as Canadian equivalent by one of the designated organizations such as WES, IQAS etc. To claim points for two or more degree One of the credentials must be assessed as 3 years or long degree , diploma or certificate and other one can be assessed as minimum one year long program BEFORE or AFTER the 3 year long Degree.

Marginal note mentioned above should help those who obtained degree as lateral entry at year 2nd or 3rd. Those people may have attended only two years or even only final year at bachelors level but was awarded full bachelors degree certificate because of exempted credits for the exempted year. They will also be awarded points for two or more degree if their ECA outcome for the degree is minimum bachelors degree (3 years) along with a minimum one year long diploma because the marginal note states that (b) shall be awarded on the basis of the Canadian educational credentials or equivalency assessments submitted in support of an application for a permanent resident visa that result in the highest number of points.

If you are still confused then more clarifications are here-

Two or more post-secondary credentials (three-year or longer post-secondary credential required)

Designated organizations assessment outcomes
A three-year or longer post-secondary credential in combination with any of the post secondary educational credentials listed below. This excludes secondary school credentials.

Post-secondary educational credentials could also include post-baccalaureate or post-graduate credentials as follows:
  • Post-bachelor’s certificate
  • Post-undergraduate certificateFootnotei
  • Post-bachelor’s diploma
  • Post-undergraduate diplomaFootnotei
  • Graduate certificate
  • Graduate certificate with a focus in [area of concentration]Footnotei
  • Postgraduate certificate
  • Postgraduate diploma
  • Graduate diploma with a focus in [area of concentration]Footnotei
  • Graduate diplomaFootnotei
  • Two-year postgraduate diploma, specializing in [name of discipline]
  • Two-year bachelor’s degree after a degree with a focus in [area of concentration]Footnotei
  • One-year postgraduate certificate in [name of discipline]
  • One-year of graduate study with a focus in [area of concentration]Footnotei
  • Study toward a master’s degree
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/federal-skilled-workers/selection-criteria-education-equivalency-assessment-outcomes-education-points.html

All confusions should be cleared by the sentence marked in Red Color above. It says Post-secondary educational credentials could also include post-baccalaureate or post-graduate credentials. They said "Could Also Include" which means other sections such as "One year program", "Two year programs" also counts.

Applicants should not be worried about misrepresentation for this at all. Applicants are advised to enter their credential in the education history section of their EE profile according to the ECA report and the system will calculate the points by itself. In EE Profile we have the following options for Level of education for each of the credentials-
  • Secondary certificate
  • One year program
  • Two year program
  • Bachelors Or 3 or more years program
  • Masters
  • PhD
Select appropriate level of education based on ECA report you will receive your appropriate points.

Hope this clarifies the confusion once for all!

Hi, Could you please clarify my question.

I have a 4-year advanced diploma (2011-2015) from India which WES has evaluated as equivalent to a 2-year diploma.
I also have a 3-year Canadian diploma (2016-2019). Should I select the option "two or more ..." option?

Reactions: yadraj Singh sekhon

Fields4

Star Member
Jul 21, 2020
Hi,
I completed my studies in canada and dont need wes evaluation. But I'm in dire need of help. I have 2 years diploma + 2 years bachelor's degree in Canada. Both awarded with certificate of completion. As I transferred my credits from diploma towards degree, what should i input in EE profile? It's two different certificates. Kindly please help. I would really appreciate it. Thank you

IseeU

Aug 7, 2020
Please do not ask whether or not you can claim certain points for your xyz education before getting an ECA report. Different countries have different educational systems thus candidates get different ECA report for similar qualifications. We can help you to interpret your ECA report but CANNOT tell you what would be the ECA report for your degrees, diplomas in advance! Get an ECA report from one of the designated organizations and let us know if you need help!

Here is more clarification for those who think your second credential must be "Post Graduate" program after bachelors to get "two or more degrees" points.

Ministerial Instructions respecting the Express Entry system

Current Ministerial Instructions last amended on October 24, 2017. (Previous versions)

The Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, pursuant to section 10.3Footnotea of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act Footnoteb, gives the annexed Ministerial Instructions Respecting the Express Entry System.

Ottawa, October 17, 2017

AHMED D. HUSSEN
Minister of Citizenship and Immigration

Level of education
(1) The points that are to be assigned for the level of education factor referred to in subparagraph 8(1)(a)(ii) are the following:

• (a) for a foreign national who has no accompanying spouse or common-law partner
    • (i) 0 points, if the foreign national has less than a secondary school credential,
    • (ii) 30 points, if the foreign national has a secondary school credential,
    • (iii) 90 points, if the foreign national has a one-year post-secondary program credential,
    • (iv) 98 points, if the foreign national has a two-year post-secondary program credential,
    • (v) 120 points, if the foreign national has a post-secondary program credential of three years or more,
    • (vi) 128 points, if the foreign national has two or more post-secondary program credentials and at least one of them was issued at the completion of a post-secondary program of three years or more,
    • (vii) 135 points, if the foreign national has a university-level credential at the master’s level or at the level of an entry-to-practice professional degree for an occupation listed in the National Occupational Classification matrix at Skill level A for which licensing by a provincial regulatory body is required, and
    • (viii) 150 points, if the foreign national has a university-level credential at the doctoral level; and
  • (b) for a foreign national who has an accompanying spouse or common-law partner
    • (i) 0 points, if the foreign national has less than a secondary school credential,
    • (ii) 28 points, if the foreign national has a secondary school credential,
    • (iii) 84 points, if the foreign national has a one-year post-secondary program credential,
    • (iv) 91 points, if the foreign national has a two-year post-secondary program credential,
    • (v) 112 points, if the foreign national has a post-secondary program credential of three years or more,
    • (vi) 119 points, if the foreign national has two or more post-secondary program credentials and at least one of them was issued at the completion of a post-secondary program of three years or more,
    • (vii) 126 points, if the foreign national has a university-level credential at the master’s level or an entry-to-practice professional degree for an occupation listed in the National Occupational Classification matrix at Skill level A for which licensing by a provincial regulatory body is require , and
    • (viii) 140 points, if the foreign national has a university-level credential at the doctoral level.
Highest level of education
(2) Points are to be assigned under subsection (1) for the highest level of education obtained.

Educational credentials
(3) In order for a foreign national to be assigned points under subsection (1),

• (a) their educational credentials must be Canadian educational credentials; or
  • (b) they must have an educational credential equivalency assessment in respect of their foreign educational credentials issued by an organization or institution designated under subsection 75(4) of the Regulations.
Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/ministerial-instructions/express-entry-application-management-system.html

Red color marked sentences clearly says "two or more post-secondary program credentials". It is clear that you need one of the Post Secondary credential assessed as Canadian equivalent to 3 or more years program and second one again a Post Secondary credential assessed as Canadian equivalent to minimum 1 year long program!
It does not matter what is your actual level of education or duration, you will be awarded points according to the ECA report. read 11(3)(b)!

Hope it is Crystal clear for everyone!
Hi Sir, What about if I completed a CS diploma in a Canadian college, transferred all credits, and then completed a bachelor's degree in 8 months in a Canadian university. Can i claim for two or more certificate bonus points? thank you

AhadMoideen

Sep 3, 2020
I have a 4 year Bachelors Degree and currently i am enrolled in a Post graduate Certificate course of 11 months.

Will i be considered in Two or more certificates .....

And my Post graduate certificate is from a university but through online.

Please help...

s_canada

Sep 9, 2020
Urgent question: Does a six-month online certificate program from York University qualifies for "Two or more Certificates, Degrees or Diploma". I already have a 4-years Bachelors's degree, evaluated from WES. If yes, does it need to evaluated from WES, as it is already a Canadian certificate? I truly appreciate your kind response, Thank you in advance.

https://continue.yorku.ca/certificates/

Targetting below certifications:
http://continue.yorku.ca/certificates/cloud-computing-strategy/

https://continue.yorku.ca/certificates/certificate-in-machine-learning/
Hey! Did you go ahead with this certificate and get points for a one-year diploma/certificate ?

I am looking to do a 1 year academic certificate from a Canadian University, but I came across a forum where someone asked to make sure that any certificates are credited.

What was your experience with the certificate from York ? Did you go with enrolling in something else ?

Thanks!

ginger3993

Sep 11, 2020
I am not sure if this thread is active. I have a ECA with bachelor degree and canadian post graduate degree. should I select two or more degrees ?

Saï Ram 15

Star Member
Jun 22, 2020
Hi,
I've done two bachelors degree
One majoring in business
The other one is psychology

I can get wes for both

But my work experience is only in business management

So my doubt is though I don't have any experience related to the second degree, just having it in my profile and selecting two or more degrees is OK?

Or will the vo reject the second degree immediately

Please give me your thoughts on this
Thanks a lot

Jul 3, 2020
Woodstock, ON
Category........
CEC
Yes you should select two or more certificates
Hi .. when you create an EE profile there is no option of selecting such an option. It will automatically calculate your score based on your information you fill there.

If you are using just to calculate on the CRS calculator then yes you can use the "Two or more Certificates, Degrees or Diploma" option.

In my case, I was confused if I can use "Two or more Certificates, Degrees or Diploma" option or not. When I created my profile they calculated the same points which I was getting by selecting the "Two or more Certificates, Degrees or Diploma" option on CRS calculator.

Nov 15, 2020
I did 3 year diploma after 10th in india and advance diploma of 3 year 4 months in canada ...both in mechanical engineering... WES says my indian diploma is equivalent to high school graduation and two year diploma !!!! What option(s) should I select to calculate my CRS points ? Option one :- Two or more certificate and three or more year program or option two:- 2 year diploma and three or more year program ???

Please help