+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Two or More Certificates, Degrees or Diploma - Let's Get it Sorted

Sarthak1231

Oct 31, 2019
Hi,
Coukd you help me,if you have completed with process,are you eligible for 2 or more degree,as i also have same query?

juanhernandez

Sep 4, 2019
Hi There,

I completed my EE profile and I was eligible for 2 or more degrees. As long as 1 of them is 3 or more years and the other one over 1 year, it does not matter whether both of them are from another country or from Canada. It could also be possible that one of them is from Canada and the other one from a foreign country (Which is my case). I was not sure about this, but now that my points were assigned, I know it is just like that.

Juan

Reactions: Sarthak1231

Teecol

Nov 6, 2019
Hello There,
Please i need some clarification on two or more degree option.
Had my bachelor degree evaluated by IQAS in 2017 with an ECA number, however i earned an Advanced Diploma in Theology in 2018.
Firstly, would like to know do i have to evaluate my diploma to enable me choose the option of two or more degree, to earn more points.
Secondly, would IQAS give me a new ECA number for the two or more degree equivalent?
Please assist with this.

juanhernandez

Sep 4, 2019
Hello There,
Please i need some clarification on two or more degree option.
Had my bachelor degree evaluated by IQAS in 2017 with an ECA number, however i earned an Advanced Diploma in Theology in 2018.
Firstly, would like to know do i have to evaluate my diploma to enable me choose the option of two or more degree, to earn more points.
Secondly, would IQAS give me a new ECA number for the two or more degree equivalent?
Please assist with this.
Hi there,

First of all, Where did you earn that second degree (The advanced Diploma in Theology) and for how long was it?
Secondly, That first bachelor degree. What was the accreditation granted to you? 1-2-3 years diploma/degree?

Based on the answer of those questions, I may be able to help you.

Juan

Teecol

Nov 6, 2019
Hi there,

First of all, Where did you earn that second degree (The advanced Diploma in Theology) and for how long was it?
Secondly, That first bachelor degree. What was the accreditation granted to you? 1-2-3 years diploma/degree?

Based on the answer of those questions, I may be able to help you.

Juan
Thanks for your swift response Juan.
The second degree was from a college and for 1yr 2017-2018
The first bachelor degree was recognized and clearly stated compares to be a completion of a 4yr bachelor of science degree. This degree was completed in 2010.

juanhernandez

Sep 4, 2019
Hi Teecol,

I am sorry, I do not think I was completely clear with my questions. What I meant with "where" is Where exactly you got these degrees (Back home or in Canada).

Regardless, I believe you are eligible for the 2 or more degree options. The rule for this option is that you have to have 2 degrees and one of them has to be for more than 3 years, the second one could be 1 year or more to be qualified.

Regarding the IQAS, If you got your second degree back in your country, you are going to need to get that assessed. There is an option to add credentials to your previous assessment (At least in the Ontario organization called WES there is one, in case you earn another degree back home). On the other hand, if the 1 year degree you gained in in Canada, there is no need to get that assessed since it is already a Canadian degree and it does not need to be recognized by any organization.

I had a 3 years diploma in Computer Science and I gained a 2 years Diploma in Computer Science as well here in Toronto. After so much hesitation and asking around, I was told what I am just telling you. When I created my EE profile, it was recognized as a "2 degrees or more".

I hope my answer clarifies some of your questions.

Juan

Teecol

Nov 6, 2019
Hi Teecol,

I am sorry, I do not think I was completely clear with my questions. What I meant with "where" is Where exactly you got these degrees (Back home or in Canada).

Regardless, I believe you are eligible for the 2 or more degree options. The rule for this option is that you have to have 2 degrees and one of them has to be for more than 3 years, the second one could be 1 year or more to be qualified.

Regarding the IQAS, If you got your second degree back in your country, you are going to need to get that assessed. There is an option to add credentials to your previous assessment (At least in the Ontario organization called WES there is one, in case you earn another degree back home). On the other hand, if the 1 year degree you gained in in Canada, there is no need to get that assessed since it is already a Canadian degree and it does not need to be recognized by any organization.

I had a 3 years diploma in Computer Science and I gained a 2 years Diploma in Computer Science as well here in Toronto. After so much hesitation and asking around, I was told what I am just telling you. When I created my EE profile, it was recognized as a "2 degrees or more".

I hope my answer clarifies some of your questions.

Juan

Oh, I got it back home in my country. This obviously means I need to get it accessed. Thanks for clarifying that.

But how to go about it is what I don't know. Could you shed more light please. Remember my first evaluation body was IQAS, so would have to use the same body for my second degree evaluation, so as to state that have been previously accessed.

juanhernandez

Sep 4, 2019
Oh, I got it back home in my country. This obviously means I need to get it accessed. Thanks for clarifying that.

But how to go about it is what I don't know. Could you shed more light please. Remember my first evaluation body was IQAS, so would have to use the same body for my second degree evaluation, so as to state that have been previously accessed.
Hi there,

For that specific question, Unfortunately I do not have the answer. Things seem to be different in Alberta than they are in Ontario. I had never heard about IQAS; if I told you a bit about it in my previous answer, it was just because I did some research at the moment. However, it seems to be the same type of international credential company. I would definitely contact them and I am sure they have the answer for you!

Hope this helps,

Juan

riteshlakhani

Dec 18, 2018
I have my ECA report from IQAS as below, can you please guide me what to select in EE profile as it is bit confusing. Thanks

LEVELS OF ACHIEVEMENTS OUTSIDE CANADA
Credential Name - Diploma in Chemical Engineering
Program Description - Three year technical diploma program

Credential Name - Post Graduate Diploma in Finance Management
Program Description - Two year graduate diploma program

COMPARITIVE LEVELS OF ACHIEVEMENT IN CANADA
The diploma engineering generally compares to the completion of a post-secondary certificate with focus in chemical engineering

The post graduate diploma in Finanace Management generally compares to the complition of University diploma with focus on finance management

Please guide me on what shall I select while creating EE profile for Education. Thanking you in advance.

juanhernandez

Sep 4, 2019
I have my ECA report from IQAS as below, can you please guide me what to select in EE profile as it is bit confusing. Thanks

LEVELS OF ACHIEVEMENTS OUTSIDE CANADA
Credential Name - Diploma in Chemical Engineering
Program Description - Three year technical diploma program

Credential Name - Post Graduate Diploma in Finance Management
Program Description - Two year graduate diploma program

COMPARITIVE LEVELS OF ACHIEVEMENT IN CANADA
The diploma engineering generally compares to the completion of a post-secondary certificate with focus in chemical engineering

The post graduate diploma in Finanace Management generally compares to the complition of University diploma with focus on finance management

Please guide me on what shall I select while creating EE profile for Education. Thanking you in advance.
Hi There,

Although it looks like you are eligible for the two degrees option, you still have to get your credentials evaluated from the respective entity. That is what it is going to tell you the option you are eligible for. When you say "The diploma engineering generally", that makes me think you have not gotten your credentials evaluated and you are just assuming that's what Canada will recognize. If I am right, you certainly have to get the evaluation from WES or any other company. If not and you already got the two degrees checked, you should be eligible for the "two degrees or more" option.

Juan

riteshlakhani

Dec 18, 2018
Hi There,

Although it looks like you are eligible for the two degrees option, you still have to get your credentials evaluated from the respective entity. That is what it is going to tell you the option you are eligible for. When you say "The diploma engineering generally", that makes me think you have not gotten your credentials evaluated and you are just assuming that's what Canada will recognize. If I am right, you certainly have to get the evaluation from WES or any other company. If not and you already got the two degrees checked, you should be eligible for the "two degrees or more" option.

Juan
Thanks for your reply, This evaluation is from IQAS. This is just from their system as of now and I am yet to receive actual evaluation report.

Anujna

Dec 11, 2019
Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees

So lately there has been a lot of confusion about the option to choose "Two or more degrees, diploma" in the CRS Calculator. Many people are worried if their qualification comes under this. So lets get it sorted out for once and all.

First of all, when you create an Express Entry profile, there is no such option of selecting "two or more degrees, diplomas" in the Education section. In the EE profile, you just need to enter each of your qualifications, as per ECA. Once you enter all the details, the system calculates the points for Education and Skill Transfer-ability factor, on its own, using this data. So just enter the details as per the ECA and the points will be calculated.

But some people want to know, before creating the EE profile, whether they can claim points for two or more degrees, diplomas.

In that case, first get an ECA for your educational qualifications. Without an ECA, its hard to predict whether you will be eligible to claim points for two or more degrees. Once you have the ECA, please refer to the following link and if your ECA equivalency is mentioned there, you are eligible:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/eligibility/education-assessed/read-report.html

Many people get confused with the wordings in the above link, where it mentions:

Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees.
Important notice: One must be for a program of three or more years.

ECA assessment results:

A three-year or more certificate, diploma, or degree

PLUS any of the results in the sections below (not including secondary/high school), or:
  • Post-Bachelor's Certificate
  • Post-undergraduate certificate
  • Post-Bachelor's Diploma
  • Post-undergraduate diploma
  • Graduate Certificate
  • Graduate Certificate with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • Postgraduate certificate
  • Postgraduate Diploma
  • Graduate Diploma with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • Graduate diploma
  • two-year Postgraduate Diploma, specializing in [name of discipline]
  • two-year Bachelor’s after degree with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • one-year Postgraduate Certificate in [name of discipline]
  • Dual Bachelor’s degree (four years)
The above highlighted part (in red) specifically mentions that if your ECA Equivalency in mentioned in the below sections too, you are eligible to claim points for two or more degrees.

The sections are:

Bachelor’s degree or other programs (three or more years) at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute

Two-year degree, diploma or certificate from a program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute

One-year degree, diploma or certificate from a program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute

Please note that you should have at least one of the credential in your ECA must be for 3 or more years, in order to claim the points under this category.

Also, there has been a misconception that the second diploma/degree should be after you earned the bachelor's degree. This is not true, your diploma could have been completed before the bachelor's degree and you will still be eligible.

I hope post will clear all the confusion. If there is any error in my post, please let me know and suggestions are also welcome.
I have a Canadian Masters degree (2 year full time program) and from CRS tool I believe I must get 15 points for Canadian education. However, when I enter my credentials in the profile I get 30 points! Can you please help to know if this is right?

1993lbs

Jun 5, 2019
Hi,

I have a bachelor degree in US ( WES ECA confirmed it was equivalent to 4 year university degree in Canada) and a 2 year diploma in Fashion Merchandising in lasalle college Vancouver.
However, i claimed for 2 or more degree points and Canada education points, and VO refused my application with the reason as my Fashion Merchandising diploma program was not recognized under CEC program (even tho the school was registered..) and he deducted my Canada education and 2 or more degrees points..

Anyone know about this? I couldn’t find any information on google or CIC website. Im really desperate and confused now..

Nov 18, 2019
Dear Sir,

I have 4 years of Bachelors of Engineering Degree from Rajasthan University and 2 years MBA degree from ICFAI Dehradun University.
For Engineering WES has evaluated my Canadian Equivalency as 4 years Bachelors Degree.

However, WES has evaluated my Canadian Equivalency as for 2 years MBA as Postgraduate diploma (one year).

What should i enter in the express entry profile ? How many points will i get for it ?

Thanks for the help.

Kind regards,

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Dear Sir,

I have 4 years of Bachelors of Engineering Degree from Rajasthan University and 2 years MBA degree from ICFAI Dehradun University.
For Engineering WES has evaluated my Canadian Equivalency as 4 years Bachelors Degree.

However, WES has evaluated my Canadian Equivalency as for 2 years MBA as Postgraduate diploma (one year).

What should i enter in the express entry profile ? How many points will i get for it ?

Thanks for the help.

Kind regards,
you put what wes wrote. add them and the calculator will tell you how many points you have.