+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Trying to finish off my paperwork with this being one of my last questions

beccanallo

May 8, 2012
I am currently in the process of filing for common law sponsorship, and my fiance's father is not on his birth certificate should I put his father as unknown or on the paperwork?? My hunny was denied by his father his whole life and not until my partner began making a good life for himself did his father pay any attention to him at all. So my man does not want him on the paper work in the first place but we were wondering for paper work purposes if he should be on there...

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
He should include his father because otherwise he could be charged with misrepresentation. He can explain, if he wishes, why his father isn't on his birth certificate. Despite the rough past and differences between them, it is in your husband's best interest to include his father. His father won't benefit from this, so it's just to ensure that your husband doesn't get accused of misrepresenting himself.

rachiy

May 9, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-07-2012
AOR Received.
12-09-2012
File Transfer...
12-09-2012
Med's Done....
16-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
07-01-2013
LANDED..........
29-01-2013
As they are in contact now (whether he wants to be or not) then I would add him to the paperwork. As already mentioned, it would really suck if this was the only thing that delayed your case or got you in trouble for misrepresentation. Not worth the risk.

We are in a similar situation. My partners father was a loser and ran out when the kids were young. His mother never listed him on the birth cert, but my partner did know his father when he was very young, and then met him once again when he was a teenager. We have no idea of his address or birthday, so just wrote his name on the form, and put unknown for address and dob. We figure this is ok as he is not on the birth cert and they haven't had any contact for at least 15 years.

I think it is common enough these days for people to have parents who are not, and often never were a part of their lives that the VO's are not going to be too concerned over missing details of parents who were never listed on birth certificates in the first place.