+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV with PGWP outside of Canada. Please Help, stuck in a limbo!

lazycrazyboon

Star Member
Apr 27, 2016
Hi Everyone,

I recently graduated and applied for a valid PGWP before coming home to India. At the time of leaving Canada, I held a valid study permit (valid till 30 November 2016)..What I did not know was that I would need a valid visa for returning, the study permit wouldn't let me enter Canada(I am incredibly stupid). My study-visa had expired in March 2016.
My PGWP was approved while I was in India (and delivered to the Canadian address that I had provided on my application). I have been here in India for 1.5 months.
I applied for a TRV at VFS New Delhi on 19th October with the copy of PGWP (also provided copy of job offer letter, a support letter from my employer stating that the job offer still holds valid, despite the delay in my arrival, bank documents, study permit, passport and all the marked pages - I have travelled to Canada 2 times before). I am now waiting to get a response from Visa office. I have following questions -
1. When (and if) my TRV gets approved, would it say that it is a work visa ?
2. While travelling back to Canada, Should I also carry the valid PGWP with me (As that is the document which I used to apply for the TRV)? If so, then I will ask my roommate to courier the document to me.
3.The current visa processing time says 35 days for applicants outside of India - is there any hope for me to hear from them earlier than that ? My employer is getting impatient with the delay.
4.Should I get a medical check-up done in advance- just in case , if they ask for it before approving the visa ?

Any help or advice is welcome and greatly appreciated, I am under a lot of stress!! I brought it upon myself but still Haha..Anyway Thanks for reading.

P.s. Sorry for posting it in two forums, I also posted it in visitor forum but I did not get any response there, may be it belongs to foreign worker section ad I hold a PGWP.

Reactions: deepak.thondapu

lazycrazyboon

Star Member
Apr 27, 2016
Since nobody bothered to reply to my post (Thanks for nothing Y'all heartless people) . I will post an update -

First thing first - Having a valid permit is not enough to re-enter Canada. You need to have a valid visa (The sticker that visa-office puts on one your passport's pages). You will not be allowed to board the flight, if you do not have a valid visa.

Now, if you are stuck in your own home country because you did not know that and made a mistake of returning to your home country after completing your graduation studies and after applying for PGWP (from Canada) -

If your PGWP has already been approved and delivered to your canadian address Then -
1. Get a scanned copy of the approved PGWP.
2. Apply for temporary resident visa (TRV - IMM 5257E) - In the application fill the dates of your expected stay till the expiry of your PGWP.
3. If you have been in your home-country for more than six months (and are not from medical-exempt country) then you will need a medical
4. Proof of funds - I had a job offer, so I used the copy of Job offer. You can use bank-statements (Try to get them stamped).
5. I provided the lease document of the apartment that I rent (although, I think that was not necessary).
6. Provided the Tax returns for the Job that I had in Canada (Before I went to Canada) - To prove that I can return to India and still make a living -
my intent was to prove ties with my home-country.
7. Passport copy - All the marked pages.
8. Copy of valid PGWP.
9. Copy of study-permits

I got the visa approved in 3 weeks. The visa says - Worker category and is valid till my PGWP validity.

asriva8

Sep 6, 2016
lazycrazyboon said:
Since nobody bothered to reply to my post (Thanks for nothing Y'all heartless people) . I will post an update -

First thing first - Having a valid permit is not enough to re-enter Canada. You need to have a valid visa (The sticker that visa-office puts on one your passport's pages). You will not be allowed to board the flight, if you do not have a valid visa.

Now, if you are stuck in your own home country because you did not know that and made a mistake of returning to your home country after completing your graduation studies and after applying for PGWP (from Canada) -

If your PGWP has already been approved and delivered to your canadian address Then -
1. Get a scanned copy of the approved PGWP.
2. Apply for temporary resident visa (TRV - IMM 5257E) - In the application fill the dates of your expected stay till the expiry of your PGWP.
3. If you have been in your home-country for more than six months (and are not from medical-exempt country) then you will need a medical
4. Proof of funds - I had a job offer, so I used the copy of Job offer. You can use bank-statements (Try to get them stamped).
5. I provided the lease document of the apartment that I rent (although, I think that was not necessary).
6. Provided the Tax returns for the Job that I had in Canada (Before I went to Canada) - To prove that I can return to India and still make a living -
my intent was to prove ties with my home-country.
7. Passport copy - All the marked pages.
8. Copy of valid PGWP.
9. Copy of study-permits

I got the visa approved in 3 weeks. The visa says - Worker category and is valid till my PGWP validity.

Hey buddy,
Thanks for posting your experience here. I am in a similar situation as you were. I have PGWP delivered to my address in CANADA, BUT, I am in India right now and my trv has been expired.
My question is that while filling out the form for TRV, which is IMM 5257, what should I write in "Current Country of Residence (Question 7)" (CANADA or INDIA ?)

Can you please reply me soon? I would really appreciate your help.

lazycrazyboon

Star Member
Apr 27, 2016
I filled the current country of residence as India and previous country of residence as Canada.

Let me know if you need any more help. Inbox me and I will give you my cell number and we can chat on whatsapp, should you need more instant clarifications.

Samran04

May 10, 2018
Hello
You are such a saviour am in the exact situation but I do not have a job offer. I was in between jobs over there did a part time gig how do I prove that and what all supporting documents should I attach. I read the checklist it just says signed letter of ongoing employment and bank statement to prove that

lazycrazyboon

Star Member
Apr 27, 2016
Hey Samaran04, AFAK, a job offer is not necessary to get the PGWP based TRV. You just need to prove that you have enough funds to support yourself in Canada.
I read your message in my inbox and yes, you should use your mother's bank account information to prove that you have enough funds (because you do not have a current valid job offer). In addition to that, You could also, print your Canadian bank account statement and attach that as a supporting document but you wouldn't have any means to get it verified (like getting it stamped by the bank -teller) but I was in the similar situation and I attached them anyway and gave an explanation in the appendix. It's not required but you can attach it, it's up to your judgment.
About the part-time job that you held before coming to Canada - Since you are no longer employed there, that can't be considered as a source of income.
I submitted my application at VFS Delhi office, they just gave my documents a cursory look, it wasn't very helpful.
I wouldn't rely on VFS guys to review my documents. It's a rather straightforward application so don't worry about it too much just get your documents in order, according to the checklist. feel free to post your questions here, I will try to answer them the best I can.

Reactions: gurinderjit kaur

gurinderjit kaur

Jan 10, 2018
Hi Everyone,

I recently graduated and applied for a valid PGWP before coming home to India. At the time of leaving Canada, I held a valid study permit (valid till 30 November 2016)..What I did not know was that I would need a valid visa for returning, the study permit wouldn't let me enter Canada(I am incredibly stupid). My study-visa had expired in March 2016.
My PGWP was approved while I was in India (and delivered to the Canadian address that I had provided on my application). I have been here in India for 1.5 months.
I applied for a TRV at VFS New Delhi on 19th October with the copy of PGWP (also provided copy of job offer letter, a support letter from my employer stating that the job offer still holds valid, despite the delay in my arrival, bank documents, study permit, passport and all the marked pages - I have travelled to Canada 2 times before). I am now waiting to get a response from Visa office. I have following questions -
1. When (and if) my TRV gets approved, would it say that it is a work visa ?
2. While travelling back to Canada, Should I also carry the valid PGWP with me (As that is the document which I used to apply for the TRV)? If so, then I will ask my roommate to courier the document to me.
3.The current visa processing time says 35 days for applicants outside of India - is there any hope for me to hear from them earlier than that ? My employer is getting impatient with the delay.
4.Should I get a medical check-up done in advance- just in case , if they ask for it before approving the visa ?

Any help or advice is welcome and greatly appreciated, I am under a lot of stress!! I brought it upon myself but still Haha..Anyway Thanks for reading.

P.s. Sorry for posting it in two forums, I also posted it in visitor forum but I did not get any response there, may be it belongs to foreign worker section ad I hold a PGWP.
Hi
I did the same mistake like you
Now stuck in india
Coming back from airport
Now going to apply for the TRV
As i have only valid PGWP and not have a valid job offer so as a financial means can I attach only bank statements of mine from canada and from here as well (means my joint account with my mother)
And i also have tax returns that i was filled in the month march 2018

lazycrazyboon

Star Member
Apr 27, 2016
Hi
I did the same mistake like you
Now stuck in india
Coming back from airport
Now going to apply for the TRV
As i have only valid PGWP and not have a valid job offer so as a financial means can I attach only bank statements of mine from canada and from here as well (means my joint account with my mother)
And i also have tax returns that i was filled in the month march 2018
Hey, As mentioned earlier if you can get your bank account summary from Canada which is verified and stamped by the bank teller, that would be best, however, money in your Indian bank account should also do the trick.

gurinderjit kaur

Jan 10, 2018
Hey, As mentioned earlier if you can get your bank account summary from Canada which is verified and stamped by the bank teller, that would be best, however, money in your Indian bank account should also do the trick.
Thank you so much for your reply.
One more question how can i contact with mu bank in canada. By phone or by email? Or have to send one of my friend to bank
I dont know how can they send me a balance certificate as i am in india.
Can a balance certificate work? It means a bank can write that this account no. Ending with 6789 have a $3000 in her account.
Because in my statements they can see that recently my brother put $2000 in my account. Total i have $3200 now

lazycrazyboon

Star Member
Apr 27, 2016
Thank you so much for your reply.
One more question how can i contact with mu bank in canada. By phone or by email? Or have to send one of my friend to bank
I dont know how can they send me a balance certificate as i am in india.
Can a balance certificate work? It means a bank can write that this account no. Ending with 6789 have a $3000 in her account.
Because in my statements they can see that recently my brother put $2000 in my account. Total i have $3200 now
Call your bank to inquire about that process of how you, the account-holder can get hold of your account statement while you are in India (Have your friend in Canada call the bank and get that information or best just have your friend go to the bank and ask the teller for help)...Perhaps, they can send the scanned copy of stamped account detail to your registered email-address? because all you need is the scanned copy...
Alternatively, I would suggest that you just use your Indian bank account details as that is much easier for you to access.

gurinderjit kaur

Jan 10, 2018
Call your bank to inquire about that process of how you, the account-holder can get hold of your account statement while you are in India (Have your friend in Canada call the bank and get that information or best just have your friend go to the bank and ask the teller for help)...Perhaps, they can send the scanned copy of stamped account detail to your registered email-address? because all you need is the scanned copy...
Alternatively, I would suggest that you just use your Indian bank account details as that is much easier for you to access.
Ok
Yes my friend can go to bank for help
Did you apply online or paper based?