+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV with PGWP outside of Canada. Please Help, stuck in a limbo!

lazycrazyboon

Star Member
Apr 27, 2016
Hi Everyone,

I recently graduated and applied for a valid PGWP before coming home to India. At the time of leaving Canada, I held a valid study permit (valid till 30 November 2016)..What I did not know was that I would need a valid visa for returning, the study permit wouldn't let me enter Canada(I am incredibly stupid). My study-visa had expired in March 2016.
My PGWP was approved while I was in India (and delivered to the Canadian address that I had provided on my application). I have been here in India for 1.5 months.
I applied for a TRV at VFS New Delhi on 19th October with the copy of PGWP (also provided copy of job offer letter, a support letter from my employer stating that the job offer still holds valid, despite the delay in my arrival, bank documents, study permit, passport and all the marked pages - I have travelled to Canada 2 times before). I am now waiting to get a response from Visa office. I have following questions -
1. When (and if) my TRV gets approved, would it say that it is a work visa ?
2. While travelling back to Canada, Should I also carry the valid PGWP with me (As that is the document which I used to apply for the TRV)? If so, then I will ask my roommate to courier the document to me.
3.The current visa processing time says 35 days for applicants outside of India - is there any hope for me to hear from them earlier than that ? My employer is getting impatient with the delay.
4.Should I get a medical check-up done in advance- just in case , if they ask for it before approving the visa ?

Any help or advice is welcome and greatly appreciated, I am under a lot of stress!! I brought it upon myself but still Haha..Anyway Thanks for reading.
@Bryanna and other senior member please help!

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Sorry, I can't help here since I haven't any experience, but maybe you'll have more luck finding someone who went through a similar thing in the Foreign Workers board instead, as this board is usually for visitors/tourists:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/foreign-workers-b10.0/

lazycrazyboon

Star Member
Apr 27, 2016
Thank you for replying..Yeah I have posted it there as well but still no response even there.. I guess, I just have to bid my time and pray.

lazycrazyboon

Star Member
Apr 27, 2016
Since nobody bothered to reply to my post (Thanks for nothing Y'all heartless people) . I will post an update -

First thing first - Having a valid permit is not enough to re-enter Canada. You need to have a valid visa (The sticker that visa-office puts on one your passport's pages). You will not be allowed to board the flight, if you do not have a valid visa.

Now, if you are stuck in your own home country because you did not know that and made a mistake of returning to your home country after completing your graduation studies and after applying for PGWP (from Canada) -

If your PGWP has already been approved and delivered to your canadian address Then -
1. Get a scanned copy of the approved PGWP.
2. Apply for temporary resident visa (TRV - IMM 5257E) - In the application fill the dates of your expected stay till the expiry of your PGWP.
3. If you have been in your home-country for more than six months (and are not from medical-exempt country) then you will need a medical
4. Proof of funds - I had a job offer, so I used the copy of Job offer. You can use bank-statements (Try to get them stamped).
5. I provided the lease document of the apartment that I rent (although, I think that was not necessary).
6. Provided the Tax returns for the Job that I had in Canada (Before I went to Canada) - To prove that I can return to India and still make a living -
my intent was to prove ties with my home-country.
7. Passport copy - All the marked pages.
8. Copy of valid PGWP.
9. Copy of study-permits

I got the visa approved in 3 weeks. The visa says - Worker category and is valid till my PGWP validity.

Tonia24

Mar 14, 2018
Since nobody bothered to reply to my post (Thanks for nothing Y'all heartless people) . I will post an update -

First thing first - Having a valid permit is not enough to re-enter Canada. You need to have a valid visa (The sticker that visa-office puts on one your passport's pages). You will not be allowed to board the flight, if you do not have a valid visa.

Now, if you are stuck in your own home country because you did not know that and made a mistake of returning to your home country after completing your graduation studies and after applying for PGWP (from Canada) -

If your PGWP has already been approved and delivered to your canadian address Then -
1. Get a scanned copy of the approved PGWP.
2. Apply for temporary resident visa (TRV - IMM 5257E) - In the application fill the dates of your expected stay till the expiry of your PGWP.
3. If you have been in your home-country for more than six months (and are not from medical-exempt country) then you will need a medical
4. Proof of funds - I had a job offer, so I used the copy of Job offer. You can use bank-statements (Try to get them stamped).
5. I provided the lease document of the apartment that I rent (although, I think that was not necessary).
6. Provided the Tax returns for the Job that I had in Canada (Before I went to Canada) - To prove that I can return to India and still make a living -
my intent was to prove ties with my home-country.
7. Passport copy - All the marked pages.
8. Copy of valid PGWP.
9. Copy of study-permits

I got the visa approved in 3 weeks. The visa says - Worker category and is valid till my PGWP validity.

Hi, I am in a similar situation I got my pgwp and visited my country for some marriage processes during which I got a short term developmental job and took it. Now I need to go back.Its been a year since I left and I know I need a trv along side my valid pgwp. When I choose visit, the document checklist seem strange because it includes invitation letter, etc when i choose work it directs me to apply for pgwp which I already have. Please help. Thank you