+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV - Procedural Fairness - Response Timelines Advice

arnabsaha

Mar 1, 2019
Hello All,

Hope everyone is doing well!

I wanted to discuss about my situation and get some opinions on it.

I was invited to a recruitment event by a recruiting startup based in Canada https://www.vanhack.com/ for an event from April 8th, 2019 until April 10th, 2019. I was given the invitation on March 11th, which is when I had applied for the TRV.

While, applying for the TRV, I also had a PR application under Express Entry in progress which was due around March 6th, 2019. But it hadn't completed the processing until the time I was invited for the event.

So, after reading through the forums, I realised I could apply under dual intent purpose. Which I did, but I had only provided the invitation letter as part of my TRV application.

On March 26th, 2019 I receive a Passport Request for my PR application. I submit the passport for stamping.

Meanwhile, the TRV application goes under further scrutiny and I'm given a Procedural fairness stating, "Specifically, I have concerns that you may be inadmissible for misrepresentation. The invitation from VANHACK TECHNOLOGIES INC. that you submitted in support of your application was verified and confirmed fraudulent." on 4th April, 2019.

This certainly scared me quite a bit, but the invitation wasn't fake and neither did I misrepresent any detail on either of my application.

And I got around 10 days to reply. Now, I consulted with the company's immigration consultant to draft a professional response. With supporting documents stating legitimacy of the company, event, email transcripts confirming my registration & participation for the event, my background (8+ years in Software Development), financial statements, current employment details, family background, previous travel details, education details.

And I submitted this LOE on 12th April, 2019. Meanwhile, my PR application went on hold as well, and I was returned my passport without stamping which felt quite bad to be honest.

Anyone has seen any situation similar to mine? Anything I should further do to expedite or support my case? I don't want my PR to get affected honestly.

Also while I've read Procedural Fairness response timelines could vary.

Any views or opinions are welcome!

Thanks!

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hello All,

Hope everyone is doing well!

I wanted to discuss about my situation and get some opinions on it.

I was invited to a recruitment event by a recruiting startup based in Canada https://www.vanhack.com/ for an event from April 8th, 2019 until April 10th, 2019. I was given the invitation on March 11th, which is when I had applied for the TRV.

While, applying for the TRV, I also had a PR application under Express Entry in progress which was due around March 6th, 2019. But it hadn't completed the processing until the time I was invited for the event.

So, after reading through the forums, I realised I could apply under dual intent purpose. Which I did, but I had only provided the invitation letter as part of my TRV application.

On March 26th, 2019 I receive a Passport Request for my PR application. I submit the passport for stamping.

Meanwhile, the TRV application goes under further scrutiny and I'm given a Procedural fairness stating, "Specifically, I have concerns that you may be inadmissible for misrepresentation. The invitation from VANHACK TECHNOLOGIES INC. that you submitted in support of your application was verified and confirmed fraudulent." on 4th April, 2019.

This certainly scared me quite a bit, but the invitation wasn't fake and neither did I misrepresent any detail on either of my application.

And I got around 10 days to reply. Now, I consulted with the company's immigration consultant to draft a professional response. With supporting documents stating legitimacy of the company, event, email transcripts confirming my registration & participation for the event, my background (8+ years in Software Development), financial statements, current employment details, family background, previous travel details, education details.

And I submitted this LOE on 12th April, 2019. Meanwhile, my PR application went on hold as well, and I was returned my passport without stamping which felt quite bad to be honest.

Anyone has seen any situation similar to mine? Anything I should further do to expedite or support my case? I don't want my PR to get affected honestly.

Also while I've read Procedural Fairness response timelines could vary.

Any views or opinions are welcome!

Thanks!
You probably won't find someone else who has been through a similar situation like yourself.

Unfortunately, if your passport has been returned not stamped, it indicates IRCC is considering the misrepresentation matter of your TRV application pretty seriously. Quite honestly, your PR, too, does not look promising at this point.

Did you provide evidence of how you were contacted to attend the recruitment event? Your invitation letter was fraudulent. How did you get it? Did you pay for this letter?

No, you cannot do anything to expedite a decision for either your TRV misrepresentation matter nor your PR. BTW responses to PFLs can take any length of time

arnabsaha

Mar 1, 2019
Yes, I did provide relevant evidence of how I was contacted for the event, which includes the email transcripts of confirmation, schedule of event, invitation letter sent over email. Also, letter of support and business number etc from the organisation who provided the letter.

I didn't pay for anything. Everything is legit, I was actually invited based on my work profile. It is a recruitment event for tech talent to get hired abroad. Check the site: https://www.vanhack.com/

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yes, I did provide relevant evidence of how I was contacted for the event, which includes the email transcripts of confirmation, schedule of event, invitation letter sent over email. Also, letter of support and business number etc from the organisation who provided the letter.

I didn't pay for anything. Everything is legit, I was actually invited based on my work profile. It is a recruitment event for tech talent to get hired abroad. Check the site: https://www.vanhack.com/
Well, in this case, it seems your employer's immigration consultant has responded to the PFL appropriately.

Do stay optimistic although it might take a while before you get another PPR for your PR

Reactions: scylla

arnabsaha

Mar 1, 2019
Well, in this case, it seems your employer's immigration consultant has responded to the PFL appropriately.

Do stay optimistic although it might take a while before you get another PPR for your PR
Sure, I understand. In hindsight, feels like I shouldn't have applied for the TRV.

But, I also didn't want lose out on an employment opportunity at that time. Ah well, I guess I'll have to keep calm and be positive :)

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Sure, I understand. In hindsight, feels like I shouldn't have applied for the TRV.

But, I also didn't want lose out on an employment opportunity at that time. Ah well, I guess I'll have to keep calm and be positive :)
Yeah, sometimes we wish we hadn't done this or that. But, unfortunately, we cannot undo what's already done.

The only way is forward :)

Good luck and hope you get your PPR soon

Reactions: Copingwithlife

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
What exactly did the invitation letter that VanHack gave you say? Did you pay for the invitation letter?

VanHack looks like a job-finding service, and you can pay for premium services. If CIC believes that VanHack is just providing invitation letters for payment, they may have issues with the letter you submitted. They claim on their website to have a team of visa consultants, but provide no evidence of them being licensed or otherwise qualified. CIC may have concerns that VanHack is acting as a visa mill - especially if they've seen a lot of letters of support from them in short order.

arnabsaha

Mar 1, 2019
What exactly did the invitation letter that VanHack gave you say? Did you pay for the invitation letter?

VanHack looks like a job-finding service, and you can pay for premium services. If CIC believes that VanHack is just providing invitation letters for payment, they may have issues with the letter you submitted. They claim on their website to have a team of visa consultants, but provide no evidence of them being licensed or otherwise qualified. CIC may have concerns that VanHack is acting as a visa mill - especially if they've seen a lot of letters of support from them in short order.

Like I said earlier I haven't paid anything. I still am not a premium member. Membership is for more content to prepare yourself for interviews ranging from improving your English to tech skills.

They only invite people who either have in person interviews or are part of recruiting event like this http://www.vanhack.com/leap which I was invited for. It's all based on merit and valid work experience and not premium memberships.

And the invitation looked like this, (I've removed personal details for obvious reasons)

Dear CIC,
I, xxx, CEO of VanHack Technologies Inc, a Canadian Corporation, Passport Number xxx, am inviting, xxx, Passport Number xxx, for a recruiting event in Calgary from April 8th to April 10th, 2018 at
the Calgary Economic Development at xxx

He will receive CA$xxx to to help covering his flight and accommodation costs during his time in Canada.

The goal of the event is to connect leading Canadian technology companies with the much needed technical talent our country needs to continue growing as an innovative economy.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
Xxx
CEO, VanHack

Last edited:

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Personally, I would be concerned about how CIC verified that your invitation letter was fraudulent. If they ban you for misrepresentation and you did nothing wrong, then something is seriously strange. This is one of the cases where I could consider ordering GCMS notes.

If you are banned for misrepresentation, you will have to always declare that on future visa applications if you are asked.

arnabsaha

Mar 1, 2019
Personally, I would be concerned about how CIC verified that your invitation letter was fraudulent. If they ban you for misrepresentation and you did nothing wrong, then something is seriously strange. This is one of the cases where I could consider ordering GCMS notes.

If you are banned for misrepresentation, you will have to always declare that on future visa applications if you are asked.
Yes, that's one of my major concerns. As I've not misrepresented in any way.

I think gcms sounds like a good suggestion. Thanks.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014

Once determined as a misrepresentation case, GCMS notes will not help in the least nor will it disclose the scope of the investigations and the investigation findings

Reactions: scylla and k.h.p.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Like I said earlier I haven't paid anything. I still am not a premium member. Membership is for more content to prepare yourself for interviews ranging from improving your English to tech skills.

They only invite people who either have in person interviews or are part of recruiting event like this http://www.vanhack.com/leap which I was invited for. It's all based on merit and valid work experience and not premium memberships.

And the invitation looked like this, (I've removed personal details for obvious reasons)

Dear CIC,
I, xxx, CEO of VanHack Technologies Inc, a Canadian Corporation, Passport Number xxx, am inviting, xxx, Passport Number xxx, for a recruiting event in Calgary from April 8th to April 10th, 2018 at
the Calgary Economic Development at xxx

He will be receive CA$xxx to to help covering his flight and accommodation costs during his time in Canada.

The goal of the event is to connect leading Canadian technology companies with the much needed technical talent our country needs to continue growing as an innovative economy.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
Xxx
CEO, VanHack
While the company as such is legit, it is possible that the email you received was fake and was sent out to possibly hundreds of other developers like yourself.

Without going through a selection process, it is not possible for VanHack to have issued an invitation letter to you.... especially one that offers flight and accommodation.... just based on your CV.

BTW their website mentions a grant of just CAD 500 which, of course, is much less than the offer of paying for your tickets and accommodation.

The language in the letter is not business-like, has poor English besides having grammatical errors + why would the CEO issue the letter to you + why would the CEO disclose his passport number in this invitation letter

arnabsaha

Mar 1, 2019
While the company as such is legit, it is possible that the email you received was fake and was sent out to possibly hundreds of other developers like yourself.

Without going through a selection process, it is not possible for VanHack to have issued an invitation letter to you.... especially one that offers flight and accommodation.... just based on your CV.

BTW their website mentions a grant of just CAD 500 which, of course, is much less than the offer of paying for your tickets and accommodation.

The language in the letter is not business-like, has poor English besides having grammatical errors + why would the CEO issue the letter to you + why would the CEO disclose his passport number in this invitation letter
Thanks for the reply @Bryanna

Well, i went through a screening and interview process. Have spoken to multiple members of their team over video calls.

And have provided the exact invitation letter they sent me. Also, have provided these details of email transcripts as part of my PFL LOE as well.

Also they are a startup. I've spoken to the CEO as well. Even though someone else from their team had provided me with the original letter.

Also my invitation also mentions of CAD500. As part of an allowance. It definitely doesn't cover all the expenses. Which is why iv also submitted my financial status as well with the LOE

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Thanks for the reply @Bryanna

Well, i went through a screening and interview process. Have spoken to multiple members of their team over video calls.

And have provided the exact invitation letter they sent me. Also, have provided these details of email transcripts as part of my PFL LOE as well.
Like I said in the previous post, the invitation letter is a poorly drafted offer with bad English - something that's not expected from a recruitment company, and certainly not from a CEO of any company.

Also they are a startup. I've spoken to the CEO as well. Even though someone else from their team had provided me with the original letter.
I could be wrong. Their website does not seem like they are a start-up company - all the more reason for you to have been wary of submitting a TRV application based on their invitation letter (if they are a start-up) + their offer of flight and accommodation is far too generous than the CAD 500 grant they will give the other 14 participants of Leap. Anyway

You can be sure that IRCC carried out their due diligence before issuing the PFL.... which possibly includes speaking to the real guys at VanHack.

Now, you'll need to wait-and-watch if the reply your consultant sent addresses the (in)correct investigations that IRCC made