+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV for spouse and dependant

FraKra

Nov 7, 2023
Québec
Category........
FAM
Q1 - When did you apply for TRV and did you get TRV or not?
Q2 - if you got TRV, did you arrive in Canada and then applied for Work permit, or you applied from home country?
Q3 - When did you apply for Spousal PR, did you got AOR and SA - and then applied for TRV + WP?
A1 - I don't need a TRV because I have a valid ETA (that's what they told me at IRCC)
A2 - I applied from my home country
A3 - Applied in March for the Spousal PR (stuck in Background Check) so yes I do have an AOR. After I applied for the TRV + WP (In September after I heard Mr. Faser did open the Open Work Permit for Outland Applications too). Did Medical and Biometrics in May.

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
A1 - I don't need a TRV because I have a valid ETA (that's what they told me at IRCC)
A2 - I applied from my home country
A3 - Applied in March for the Spousal PR (stuck in Background Check) so yes I do have an AOR. After I applied for the TRV + WP (In September after I heard Mr. Faser did open the Open Work Permit for Outland Applications too). Did Medical and Biometrics in May.
A2 - this is how you failed the eligibility requirement. To qualify for new owp for Outland you must first come to Canada.

FraKra

Nov 7, 2023
Québec
Category........
FAM
A2 - this is how you failed the eligibility requirement. To qualify for new owp for Outland you must first come to Canada.
Oh well...I guess my husband and I did understand it wrong. Good that I travel back to Canada soon. I was in Canada with my ETA until August but had to leave because my father died. Will reapply when in Canada I guess. Unless we get an answer for our Sponsorship Application :)

Thanks for the quick help

FPsalmist

Oct 29, 2023
On my TRV Application:

Oct 19 Application Submitted
Oct 19 Biometrics Completed
Oct 20 Background Check in Progress
Oct 25 Eligibility Completed
Nov 4 Biometrics Validity Letter
Nov 4 Original Passport request
Nov 7 Passport submitted
Nov 13 Passport returned (stamped till date of expiration)
Nov 15 Background check completed
Nov 15 Medicals updated to completed
Nov 15 Application closed
Nov 25 Arrived Canada on a visitor’s visa

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
On my TRV Application:

Nov 7 Passport submitted
?

FPsalmist

Oct 29, 2023
Apologies.

Do I need to raise a webform now to update my new address(don’t want it to affect the pace of the PR application) or I wait till COPR to request for virtual landing.

However, I’m seeing delayed response from IRCC for virtual landing after COPR.

Please what do you advise

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
Apologies.

Do I need to raise a webform now to update my new address(don’t want it to affect the pace of the PR application) or I wait till COPR to request for virtual landing.

However, I’m seeing delayed response from IRCC for virtual landing after COPR.

Please what do you advise
If you plan to stay in Canada I would advise to update your address. So when your application will be ready to be finalized, you will not loose time by first getting PPR, then raising the webform to request virtual landing. If all goes well, you will receive virtual landing right away.

Spiritwise

Nov 23, 2023
I landed here on TRV and filled my application for inland Family Class Sponsorship.
March 09, 2023 application
April 06, 2023 Medical
April 2023 AOR
April 26, 2023 Applied for OWP
Oct 24, 2023 Invitation/confirm for PR application
Oct 27, 2023 Portal 1 credential
Nov 3, 2023 Portal 2 uploaded photo and confirm address
Nov 27, 2023 OWP aprroval received.
WAITING FOR MY:
ECOPR for inland applicant
PR Card.....

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
Hi everyone. A generic question. Usually, Eligibility is completed right when they are about to issue the TRV? Correct?
What if background is still "in-progress". I know how silly it looks to ask this question, but im curious if there someone had an eye for the TRV timelines and had been reading this --- How long does it take to get background completed after Eligibility is completed?

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
On my TRV Application:

Nov 7 Passport submitted
Hi there. Was studying your/spouse's timelines for TRV and saw that it was almost 1 month, from the time you got Eligibility Completed to arrival in Canada.
My question -
1) -when you were entering Canada - what kind of questions were asked at the Airport?
2) Is the immigration officer aware of your Spousal PR application? Or do you have to show them all the docs?
3) Return ticket? did you purchase them - if not, did the officer ask about it?

Last edited:

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
Thanks for replying!

it’s a multiple entry visa, you’re right about her passport expiry date :)
Hi Vs35 - Congrats on your spouse getting the TRV. Was curious to know if she flew to Canada or you guys preferring to wait for Spousal PR?
Secondly, if she did fly to Canada, did she buy the return ticket?
If not - did the immigration officer ask about it?
Are they aware that the person has a Spousal PR application in-process, or do you have to tell them ? Do they ask for docs? etc etc.
My wife will be in a similar situation hence, im trying to understand how easy/difficult it will be and if i should accompany her at the arrival.

FPsalmist

Oct 29, 2023
Hi everyone. A generic question. Usually, Eligibility is completed right when they are about to issue the TRV? Correct?
What if background is still "in-progress". I know how silly it looks to ask this question, but im curious if there someone had an eye for the TRV timelines and had been reading this --- How long does it take to get background completed after Eligibility is completed?
It took approximately 12 days after Eligibility was completed before my TRV was approved, whilst background was still in progress.

Reactions: InfoSeeker12

FPsalmist

Oct 29, 2023
Hi there. Was studying your/spouse's timelines for TRV and saw that it was almost 1 month, from the time you got Eligibility Completed to arrival in Canada.
My question -
1) -when you were entering Canada - what kind of questions were asked at the Airport?
2) Is the immigration officer aware of your Spousal PR application? Or do you have to show them all the docs?
3) Return ticket? did you purchase them - if not, did the officer ask about it?
1. You scan in your passport yourself at the point of entry and get a receipt. You proceed to an immigration officer that asks you your name? and what are you coming to do in Canada? If you respond to visit your spouse, he then asks for the status of your spouse? Student, Work permit or PR? He then asks if this is your first time coming into Canada? From there, he draws a sign on your receipt and sends you to another immigration officer that asks for your name DOB, your wife’s name DOB.

2. Yes, they are fully aware of ALL your applications, the scanning of your passport, you and your spouse names and DOBs will give them all your records right in front of them. The first officer doesn’t have a system in front of him while the second has. He’ll then proceed to ask random questions about your applications just for confirmation I guess.

3. Yes, I purchased a return ticket. It was asked at the point of entry by the officer and also while I was connecting my flight from Cairo to Toronto. I initially didn't buy a return, but I wasn’t allowed to board my flight, so I had to get one at the departing airport. So I strongly advise you to purchase a return ticket. You don’t want to go through that stress on your day of departure.

• Love
Reactions: InfoSeeker12

FPsalmist

Oct 29, 2023
Hi Vs35 - Congrats on your spouse getting the TRV. Was curious to know if she flew to Canada or you guys preferring to wait for Spousal PR?
Secondly, if she did fly to Canada, did she buy the return ticket?
If not - did the immigration officer ask about it?
Are they aware that the person has a Spousal PR application in-process, or do you have to tell them ? Do they ask for docs? etc etc.
My wife will be in a similar situation hence, im trying to understand how easy/difficult it will be and if i should accompany her at the arrival.
Thanks for replying!

it’s a multiple entry visa, you’re right about her passport expiry date :)
In addition, if you adopted the TRV entry route, did you apply for the OWP and how long did it take?