+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV for spouse and dependant

comarxx

Jan 12, 2012
Manila
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bro....Congrats...glad to hear your family is on their way to their new home!!!! :)

I have to thank you..for taking your time to come to back to this forum and share something everyone is dreading about..
when traveling on TRV, to buy or not to buy.....the return ticket.....i'm so glad that you have cleared that for all of us.

Not to buy a return ticket! But also back it up, with every single possible piece of info that will satisfy Officer at the airport.
Though, it will still leave some doubt for many of us, who have not yet received pre-arrival or COPR. Will the airline let them sit in the plane when they have just the TRV + AOR + SA

Still, great to know. Pls keep us posted. Im sure their travel and arrival will go all smooth. Let us know what questions CBSA usually asks.. i feel like i'm getting the cheat sheet from you....lol!
Of course! That is what this forum is about to help each other out! I know it help me tremendously when i’m the one looking for information! Just giving back..

So, we were on video call when they talked to airline staff and immigration officer, although secretly for the latter..

When they checked in the airline just asks simple questions and if they have a return ticket. My spouse told them no, but the application is on final stage and has a decision made. Airline staff said just be aware of this thing and IO might asks for it too.

When they got to immigration for departure the IO asks if they have a return ticket because it is a trv. My spouse just repeated the same thing she said to airline staff. She is also ready to show the printed papers that I made her. She was also about to log into GCkey and Prtracker but the IO said it’s okay. I guess her explanation is enough to convince them without needing to see the proofs.

Story to be contnued.. lol

Reactions: InfoSeeker12

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Just an update my loves ones already flew from our home country and they where asked about return ticket by airline and immigration. I did not buy a return ticket on purpose. I made my spouse print all the pdf letter frim IRCC such as aor, sa, med & bio requests and pre arrival.
Do you mean immigration in PH? (I.e. not Canadian immigration/cbsa on arrival)

Airline alone makes the point though: we can tell people what we think will happen at Canadian border/cbsa without a return ticket - probably nothing, they don't seem to pay much attention to return tickets any more, or less anyway -

- BUT that doesn't help people if they can't board their plane because the airline or the foreign passport control/immigration stops them. And unfortunately that just depends by country and airline, etc.

Xilikon

Apr 26, 2018
Quebec City, Canada
Category........
FAM

Airline alone makes the point though: we can tell people what we think will happen at Canadian border/cbsa without a return ticket - probably nothing, they don't seem to pay much attention to return tickets any more, or less anyway -

- BUT that doesn't help people if they can't board their plane because the airline or the foreign passport control/immigration stops them. And unfortunately that just depends by country and airline, etc.
Yes, the Bureau of Immigration in PH as they have exit immigration at the airport.

It's correct that most airlines would ask for a return ticket unless you prove you are going on a non-visitor visa or immigration (like workers, PR or other categories). In the Philippines, BI could also stop someone from exiting without proper documentation (like CFO, COPR/counterfoil and other documents).

Reactions: InfoSeeker12

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I don’t know but most PPR come in one or two days
We should but its been 12 hours since i received BVL and still no PPR so not sure
A PPR or denial is received in a short amount of time IF decided by AI. If processing takes weeks to months the application is undergoing a manual review. Doesn’t mean TRV will be denied but a person will need to review that actually application which takes time.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes, the Bureau of Immigration in PH as they have exit immigration at the airport.

It's correct that most airlines would ask for a return ticket unless you prove you are going on a non-visitor visa or immigration (like workers, PR or other categories). In the Philippines, BI could also stop someone from exiting without proper documentation (like CFO, COPR/counterfoil and other documents).
Passport control on exit in most countries is only confirming the individual has the right documents to leave the country (mostly meaning just passport for locals, and that they entered the country legally for foreingers eg visa and/or stamp). Some - eg Canada and USA - have no passport control on exit at all.

PH seems to be more the exception in govt wanting to check that they have the right to go where they are going. So my point here was that this is a step many leaving to Canada would not face.

And on airlines, my experience is that it varies quite a bit, but that from many countries, the airlines only want to see you have an entry visa (or visa waiver passport and ETA) for the country where you are going. A lot of airlines never ask (although of course they might see it for travellers returning with them). That may be due to the countries I've mostly travelled from though.

Xilikon

Apr 26, 2018
Quebec City, Canada
Category........
FAM
Passport control on exit in most countries is only confirming the individual has the right documents to leave the country (mostly meaning just passport for locals, and that they entered the country legally for foreingers eg visa and/or stamp). Some - eg Canada and USA - have no passport control on exit at all.

PH seems to be more the exception in govt wanting to check that they have the right to go where they are going. So my point here was that this is a step many leaving to Canada would not face.

And on airlines, my experience is that it varies quite a bit, but that from many countries, the airlines only want to see you have an entry visa (or visa waiver passport and ETA) for the country where you are going. A lot of airlines never ask (although of course they might see it for travellers returning with them). That may be due to the countries I've mostly travelled from though.
In most cases, I agree with you as that's generally the same experience and it's generally painless.

I'm trying to outline that for the Philippines, exit immigration is more strict for Filipino citizens (especially Filipina ones). The main reason here is to combat human trafficking and to ensure they have the proper documentation and visa requirements to exit the Philippines toward the destination country.

I speak from experience as I'm a Canadian Citizen married to a Filipina wife and we travelled outside PH once. She had to get CFO and prepare enough documents to ensure all goes well at BI. Myself, if I exit alone, I use the foreigner lanes at BI and it's very painless. When she exit herself, it was usually very long and she had to show many documents (she was an OFW before to Taiwan or going to Singapore with me).

Reactions: armoured

comarxx

Jan 12, 2012
Manila
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Yes, immigration in PH is what I meant.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
In most cases, I agree with you as that's generally the same experience and it's generally painless.

I'm trying to outline that for the Philippines, exit immigration is more strict for Filipino citizens (especially Filipina ones). The main reason here is to combat human trafficking and to ensure they have the proper documentation and visa requirements to exit the Philippines toward the destination country.
Yes, you're quite right to emphasize that PH is different and strict in this regard. (I'm not even criticizing in that PH has its own issues iin terms of protecting its citizens abroad - we might think of Canada as 'safe' but not always, and of course there are PH nationals working abroad from Russia to Saudi Arabia to Central Asia and everywhere else in asia and ... well, you name it. Some of the measures may seem weird from one perspective but then you read the news about things that have happened and you understand the other side a bit).

I was only trying to underline that the question of return tickets may be completely different coming from other parts of the world - passport control/immigration upon exit is not interested, airlines - possibly but not always, etc.

Reactions: Xilikon

comarxx

Jan 12, 2012
Manila
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Update: my loved ones arrived yesterday. They were asked by IO how long were they staying in Canada and if they have return ticket. My wife told them no, they do not have return ticket but their PR application just got final decision on GCkey and they have copr reflected in PRtracker.

The IO went to his colleague and ask something. IO came back and said everything is in order but my loved ones will have to go back to PH after getting the copr. And thats it. They are done.

My final thoughts is that if you do not have a final decision yet, or copr. Chances are you will have a hard time in airlines and immigration as trv if you do not have a return ticket.

Question: they are here as a trv. Now when they get the copr for pr application will they have to go back to Ph? I thought this is were virtual landing is happening since applicants is already in Canada? TIA.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Question: they are here as a trv. Now when they get the copr for pr application will they have to go back to Ph? I thought this is were virtual landing is happening since applicants is already in Canada? TIA.
Yes, that part is nonsense. Update their address to show actual address in Canada (now), and at any rate if they are in Canada when PPR is received, there will be (should be) instructions for how to arrange virtual landing.

comarxx

Jan 12, 2012
Manila
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, that part is nonsense. Update their address to show actual address in Canada (now), and at any rate if they are in Canada when PPR is received, there will be (should be) instructions for how to arrange virtual landing.
Thanks for the advice. I updated the current address right away.

Reactions: armoured

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
Update: my loved ones arrived yesterday. They were asked by IO how long were they staying in Canada and if they have return ticket. My wife told them no, they do not have return ticket but their PR application just got final decision on GCkey and they have copr reflected in PRtracker.

The IO went to his colleague and ask something. IO came back and said everything is in order but my loved ones will have to go back to PH after getting the copr. And thats it. They are done.

My final thoughts is that if you do not have a final decision yet, or copr. Chances are you will have a hard time in airlines and immigration as trv if you do not have a return ticket.

Glad to know family is here now in Canada. The wait and all.....its a journey of its own.

Fly back after COPR? The Officer must have not been trained properly, how can they not know about virtual landing? The fact that he had to go and ask someone once your wife told him about application process tells that he wasn't sure about the process for Spousal PRs. I mean its possible, there are so many immigration streams.

But yes - its a good point - it means Canadian Immigration at the airport is asking for Return Tickets and unless one's PR application has reached COPR stage, it may be wise to have a return ticket.

Reactions: Charbk and comarxx

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Fly back after COPR? The Officer must have not been trained properly, how can they not know about virtual landing? The fact that he had to go and ask someone once your wife told him about application process tells that he wasn't sure about the process for Spousal PRs. I mean its possible, there are so many immigration streams.

But yes - its a good point - it means Canadian Immigration at the airport is asking for Return Tickets and unless one's PR application has reached COPR stage, it may be wise to have a return ticket.
Arguably the COPR nonsense indicates the officer is new or clueless (just out of training?) and reliance upon return tickets just a function of reading out-of-date training manuals.

This is a bit harsh but the way the officer went to ask someone else is a bit of a giveaway. (I assume this was at secondary)