+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV and Express Entry - What to do?

AnneCordelia

Nov 21, 2014
Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum, so I apologize if there are existing threads related to my questions. I haven't been able to find any relevant information online regarding this particular case so I would appreciate the input of the most seasoned members of this forum. I am a 23-year-old citizen and resident of the Dominican Republic and have never applied for a TRV. I would like to visit New York next year (around March or April) and enrol in a 3-month course at a recognized art school and subsequently take a train to Toronto to take the IELTS as well as to explore the city, since I've never been there before. My questions are:

(1) Does it qualify as dual intent if I want to obtain a TRV for a short visit (meaning I will most definitely be going back home, as I have no intention of overstaying or violating my status and I also have plenty of ties to my home country) and —once I have my IELTS scores, my education accredited and all other required documents in order— express interest in going to Canada by creating an Express Entry profile?

(2) Do I need to tell the IO about my plans even though I do want to visit Canada temporarily (and quite briefly) and apply to the program from my country of citizenship? Would they find it shady regardless of whatever proof I may present of my intention to go back to DR?

(3) In addition, does my having a renewed 10-year US visa and having had a 6-month Schengen and a 6-month UK visa issued in 2006 help my credibility? DR citizens need visas to enter almost any country and I believe having several visas issued under your name usually means you are a reliable person.

I am currently self-employed, so to speak. I own a business with my siblings and have 4-years of experience in my area, as well as a bachelor's degree in Advertising. My first language is Spanish but I went to a bilingual school for 15 years and attended the Alliance Française de Saint Domingue for a few years and took the DELF A1 (although my French is very much rusty). I think, overall, I'll hopefully have about 70-75 immigration points (I'll let you all know once I take the IELTS :p). I love Canada and the EE program seems very interesting and promising, but I wouldn't want to jeopardize my chances of obtaining a TRV or my chances of future legal immigration.

This whole thing has me reading every article and forum online as I'm interested in immigrating to Canada, so how does one go about obtaining a visitor visa while also proving that you don't intend to stay in Canada illegally even though you do plan to apply for Express Entry in the near future?

Thank you so much for your help and sorry for the long post! Please, let me know if there are any contradictions in my explanation ;D

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1) No - you don't qualify under dual intent and it's a bad idea to mention it. This makes it sound like you're not a genuine visitor and want to remain in Canada long term.
2) I would not mention your future plans to apply to immigrate.
3) Yes - having past travel is helpful and increases your chances of an approval.

AnneCordelia

Nov 21, 2014
Thank you for replying, Scylla!

I do wonder if it will seem like I have a hidden agenda if I visit Canada and THEN apply for Express Entry... I know they have access to everything so I don't want to misrepresent information. ::)

athwalkaur

Mar 11, 2015
1) No - you don't qualify under dual intent and it's a bad idea to mention it. This makes it sound like you're not a genuine visitor and want to remain in Canada long term.
2) I would not mention your future plans to apply to immigrate.
3) Yes - having past travel is helpful and increases your chances of an approval.
Hi @scylla, the visiotr visa application forms asks for english language tests, which i selected yes, won't it raise red flag? Also having a live expresss entry profile with non accompanying spouse while appplying for a visiotr visa with spouse will be a negative point for visitor visa?