+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling to Canada without PR card

caleb41

Jan 5, 2020
Hello, all. I am a newly landed Canadian PR with UK citizenship. I've had to return to the UK after my landing to sort out issues at home, but I intend to return to Canada within a few months. I don't have a PR card yet as I do not have a fixed residence in Canada.

To that end, I have a couple of questions:
1) While UK citizens do not need a visa to travel to Canada, does the PR status override this, thus requiring a PR card or PRTD to enter (meaning you cannot enter just on a previously valid ETA)?
2) Is it true that a PRTD will not be issued if your first PR card has been requested? I have some friends in Canada who would be willing to have the PR card shipped to them, but I'm not sure how I could enter Canada to collect it from them if this were the case.
3) In the event above is true, can I request a PRTD first, then apply for the first PR card and still be allowed entry after receiving a PRTD?
4) I also hold dual citizenship with another nation's passport that does not require a visa to enter (only an ETA); could I still travel via Air on my other passport?

Any help at all is much appreciated.

Last edited:

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
As a PR of Canada, you require either a PR card or a PRTD to travel to Canada on any commercial transport. The fact that you would not require a visa if you were a tourist is irrelevant in this context. PRs are not eligible for an ETA, and your application to obtain one will be denied. This also applies to citizens of multiple countries. Both your passports are linked to your status as a PR (unless you did not tell IRCC that you are a dual citizen, which would not have been a good idea).

It is unclear from your post if you have already applied for a PR card. Note that you need to be in Canada to apply for a PR card.

In any case, your options to enter Canada are as follows:
  • Obtain a PRTD prior to traveling
  • Have your PR card shipped to a friend and ask them to forward it to you in the UK (provided you have already applied)
  • Travel to the US and cross the border in a private vehicle (this could be a taxi). In this case, your COPR and confirmation of landing will be sufficient.
I am unsure about the answer to (2) - maybe others can weigh in.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello, all. I am a newly landed Canadian PR with UK citizenship. I've had to return to the UK after my landing to sort out issues at home, but I intend to return to Canada within a few months. I don't have a PR card yet as I do not have a fixed residence in Canada.

To that end, I have a couple of questions:
1) While UK citizens do not need a visa to travel to Canada, does the PR status override this, thus requiring a PR card or PRTD to enter (meaning you cannot enter just on a previously valid ETA)?
2) Is it true that a PRTD will not be issued if your first PR card has been requested? I have some friends in Canada who would be willing to have the PR card shipped to them, but I'm not sure how I could enter Canada to collect it from them if this were the case.
3) In the event above is true, can I request a PRTD first, then apply for the first PR card and still be allowed entry after receiving a PRTD?
4) I also hold dual citizenship with another nation's passport that does not require a visa to enter (only an ETA); could I still travel via Air on my other passport?

Any help at all is much appreciated.
1. Yes, PR status overrides it. The eTA is cancelled after PR.

2. No, not true. You can get a PRTD even if you have a PR card or are waiting for one. Your friend can ship the card to you.

3. The PR card and PRTD are separate documents. Neither invalidates the other.

4. No. When you apply for an eTA, you are required to declare your PR status, which will result in a rejection.

caleb41

Jan 5, 2020
Thanks for all the responses. I think the quickest way to sort this is to have the PR card forwarded to me.

AK9393

Nov 7, 2022
Thanks for all the responses. I think the quickest way to sort this is to have the PR card forwarded to me.
Hi Caleb,
I am in a similar situation currently. Could you please let me know what you ended up doing? It would be really helpful. Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Caleb,
I am in a similar situation currently. Could you please let me know what you ended up doing? It would be really helpful. Thanks!
You have three options:

1) valid PR card
2) valid PR Travel Document
3) fly to the US and re-enter Canada through a land border

AK9393

Nov 7, 2022
You have three options:

1) valid PR card
2) valid PR Travel Document
3) fly to the US and re-enter Canada through a land border
Thank you for your prompt response. Unfortunately, however:
1) I have not received my PR card in more than 5 months
2) I do not qualify for the PRTD Residency Obligations (I have been in Canada for only 5 months)
3) My COPR expires this month as well. I do not know what else I can use at the border.

Please let me know if you can help. Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your prompt response. Unfortunately, however:
1) I have not received my PR card in more than 5 months
2) I do not qualify for the PRTD Residency Obligations (I have been in Canada for only 5 months)
3) My COPR expires this month as well. I do not know what else I can use at the border.

Please let me know if you can help. Thank you.
2) Yes, you qualify for a PR Travel Document. If you want to go with the PRTD, then you need to apply for this once you are outside of Canada.
3) The expiry date on your COPR is irrelevant. You an use this to cross the land border in a private vehicle.

AK9393

Nov 7, 2022
Thank you so much for your help.
If you could answer one last question for me regarding the PRTD. As I am unemployed and do not have a CRA NOA, and have been in Canada for less than 730 how would I fulfill the "Residency Obligation" mentioned as follows"

Appendix A: Residency obligation on the IRCC website. Since I have been in Canada for less than 5 years it states that: " you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five (5) years of the date you became a permanent resident
Supporting documents showing that you meet the residency obligation

• You must provide copies of 2 pieces of evidence that can show residency in Canada in the five (5) years immediately before the application, such as:
    • employment records or pay stubs;
    • bank statements;
    • Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Notice of Assessment for the five (5) years immediately before the application
    • evidence that you received benefits from Canadian government programs;
    • rental agreements;
    • club memberships;
    • or any other documents that prove you met your residency obligation."

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you could answer one last question for me regarding the PRTD. As I am unemployed and do not have a CRA NOA, and have been in Canada for less than 730 how would I fulfill the "Residency Obligation" mentioned as follows"

Appendix A: Residency obligation on the IRCC website. Since I have been in Canada for less than 5 years it states that: " you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five (5) years of the date you became a permanent resident
Supporting documents showing that you meet the residency obligation

• You must provide copies of 2 pieces of evidence that can show residency in Canada in the five (5) years immediately before the application, such as:
    • employment records or pay stubs;
    • bank statements;
    • Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Notice of Assessment for the five (5) years immediately before the application
    • evidence that you received benefits from Canadian government programs;
    • rental agreements;
    • club memberships;
    • or any other documents that prove you met your residency obligation."

Thank you!
This doesn't apply to you. You are a new PR. Again, you can apply for a PRTD.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

The part of this you missed is that "you will be able to meet the minimum ... with five years of the date you became a permanent resident."

Since you have several years left, you will be able to meet that - in effect you are allowed to assume / they assume that you will remain in Canada for the next [however many days.]

It's actually easier to calculate the residency obligation in 'reverse' - if you have been out of Canada less than 1095 days in the relevant five year period (in your case, from date of landing to five year anniversary), you are in compliance.

( 1095 maximum outside Canada = five years * 365 days / year - 730 days minimum)

AK9393

Nov 7, 2022
The part of this you missed is that "you will be able to meet the minimum ... with five years of the date you became a permanent resident."

Since you have several years left, you will be able to meet that - in effect you are allowed to assume / they assume that you will remain in Canada for the next [however many days.]

It's actually easier to calculate the residency obligation in 'reverse' - if you have been out of Canada less than 1095 days in the relevant five year period (in your case, from date of landing to five year anniversary), you are in compliance.

( 1095 maximum outside Canada = five years * 365 days / year - 730 days minimum)
Ah - got it. I assumed I would have to provide proof that I would be able to live here and support myself within the next 5 years. Thank you. Really appreciate the clarification!