+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling to US and back without PR card after landing

sailorshinde

Star Member
Nov 24, 2016
Hi all,

I landed with my PR last month and I have to (really have to) travel for business to the US for a week. I don't have my PR card yet and I am sure its going to take another month.

Can I travel by my personal car and drive back with the CoPR? or do I need PRTD? How long does processing a PRTD take?

I have to be back in one week. I am planning to drive to Detroit and fly out to my US destination and then fly back into Detroit and cross the border back into Canada.

Can I go to a local consulate and apply or will I have to mail it to NYC in case I need a PRTD to be back?

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
Hi all,

I landed with my PR last month and I have to (really have to) travel for business to the US for a week. I don't have my PR card yet and I am sure its going to take another month.

Can I travel by my personal car and drive back with the CoPR? or do I need PRTD? How long does processing a PRTD take?

I have to be back in one week. I am planning to drive to Detroit and fly out to my US destination and then fly back into Detroit and cross the border back into Canada.

Can I go to a local consulate and apply or will I have to mail it to NYC in case I need a PRTD to be back?

I'd love to find out what you end up doing, and how it works out. I'm planning on flying up to Ontario to do my landing in Sept., and look for a place to live, however I need to come back to the US to wrap up the house, get my dogs, etc... Looking for the best way to do this, and then return to Ontario at a later date, most likely before my PR cards are ready.

sailorshinde

Star Member
Nov 24, 2016
I'd love to find out what you end up doing, and how it works out. I'm planning on flying up to Ontario to do my landing in Sept., and look for a place to live, however I need to come back to the US to wrap up the house, get my dogs, etc... Looking for the best way to do this, and then return to Ontario at a later date, most likely before my PR cards are ready.
Will update. I am planning on driving to Detroit and taking the flight. Parking my car there and coming back to Detroit and driving back into Ontario.

Reactions: Mthornt

systix

Mar 13, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
None
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
##-08-2027
LANDED..........
##-09-2027
@sailorshinde ... interested in knowing how it works for you ... might need to do the same mid-to-late Sept ... when are you planning that kind of a route?

devanshitamogna

Star Member
Apr 6, 2017
Did anyone fly back and forth to US without PR card and just with COPR?? Please suggest. I am in the same situation. However, I will have my spouse to collect the PR cards.

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
Did anyone fly back and forth to US without PR card and just with COPR?? Please suggest. I am in the same situation. However, I will have my spouse to collect the PR cards.

I'm a US citizen. I've flown back and forth from US to Canada 3 times so far, and have not been asked for my PR card even once.

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
I'm a US citizen. I've flown back and forth from US to Canada 3 times so far, and have not been asked for my PR card even once.
That is because you are from a visa exempt country, and frankly US Citizens entering Canada are viewed differently than those from other countries. We can enter the country for up to 6 months on our US Passport alone. There's no real reason for them to ask us for our PR Card since we don't technically need it to enter Canada.

djm1414

Star Member
Apr 7, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-04-2017
AOR Received.
06-04-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
04-04-2017
Passport Req..
20-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-07-2017
LANDED..........
13-09-2017
That is because you are from a visa exempt country, and frankly US Citizens entering Canada are viewed differently than those from other countries. We can enter the country for up to 6 months on our US Passport alone. There's no real reason for them to ask us for our PR Card since we don't technically need it to enter Canada.
Did the CBSA officer ask if you were a PR when you entered, or did you show your US passport and validated COPR? I will be flying to Canada in a few days and still have not received my PR card. I'm curious what they did.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Did the CBSA officer ask if you were a PR when you entered, or did you show your US passport and validated COPR? I will be flying to Canada in a few days and still have not received my PR card. I'm curious what they did.
You need to declare that you are a PR when entering. There is no reason to try to hide it, as CBSA will be able to see it as soon as your passport is swiped anyways. A PR card is not required for entry and as you have only recently landed, you have no Residency Obligation concerns, so you will be waved through as normal.

djm1414

Star Member
Apr 7, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
05-04-2017
AOR Received.
06-04-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
04-04-2017
Passport Req..
20-07-2017
VISA ISSUED...
27-07-2017
LANDED..........
13-09-2017
You need to declare that you are a PR when entering. There is no reason to try to hide it, as CBSA will be able to see it as soon as your passport is swiped anyways. A PR card is not required for entry and as you have only recently landed, you have no Residency Obligation concerns, so you will be waved through as normal.
I'm not concerned about RO. I'm just curious what the officer says if you enter at an airport as a PR without a PR card. I'm intending to bring my COPR just in case. In the past I've used automated kiosks to scan my US passport, although I was not a PR at the time.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I'm not concerned about RO. I'm just curious what the officer says if you enter at an airport as a PR without a PR card. I'm intending to bring my COPR just in case. In the past I've used automated kiosks to scan my US passport, although I was not a PR at the time.
They don't care.

Reactions: djm1414

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
They didn't ask. I gave my US Passport and that was it. A US passport gets you on a plane - there is no need for a PR Card or your CoPR document. A US passport gets you into the country for 6 months at a time. I've never had a CBSA officer question me over entering Canada on it.

Reactions: djm1414