+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling/Flights to Canada from India during COVID 19

RT8

Star Member
Jan 30, 2020
Hi,
Just wondering, did you get any extension from India.
Thanks
Hi , no I haven’t. However someone on the other thread ‘Copr and coronavirus’ reported that they got an extension from NDVO

I haven’t raised the web form yet, honestly really trying to figure if I should go even though it might be right in the middle of winter or wait it out till next year. Although I’m afraid If I wait that long they may start asking for Medical PCC and all again and then god knows how long they’ll take

• Sad
Reactions: pumpkin_latte

crackMBA

Mar 2, 2015
India
Hi , no I haven’t. However someone on the other thread ‘Copr and coronavirus’ reported that they got an extension from NDVO

I haven’t raised the web form yet, honestly really trying to figure if I should go even though it might be right in the middle of winter or wait it out till next year. Although I’m afraid If I wait that long they may start asking for Medical PCC and all again and then god knows how long they’ll take
Yes, even I read about the extension.
Winters are very harsh and its always difficult for a new immigrant to settle down. Even small things look difficult.
I can just say, if you have something in hand in India(job or business) then you can wait till Feb/Mar(just my thought).
We all are in a very messy situation.

Amit k

Star Member
Oct 22, 2014
Answer 1: I completed a health undertaking for the domestic leg of the journey (Chennai to Delhi) online. Basically form says "I will inform Indian authorities if I get Covid etc etc". Once I did this, I got an email with the PDF of my responses. The same process isn't applicable for the international leg (DEL to Toronto). Despite doing this online, the Scam India staff gave me the same form at Chennai boarding gate and made me sign it. Double work and pointless. At domestic to international transfer gate (before passport control), they will give you an indemnity form to sign.
2. If she is flying on an unexpired COPR visa that is yet to be stamped, ask her to say "CPR holder and this is my first landing".
3. 2 bags of 23 kg each for checkin luggage. I've heard that it can go up to 25 kg per bag, but don't risk it. Fly light is my advice. I went with 20 kg and 19 kg respectively. I'll buy basics when the sales hit.

Hope this helped.
Great, thank you! hopefully everything goes smoothly.

RT8

Star Member
Jan 30, 2020
Yes, my husband and I traveled with Lufthansa from Blr to Toronto, via Frankfurt.
Hi ,
So COPR holders are currently eligible to fly Air India and Lufthansa ? Are you aware of anymore airlines we can fly with ?

RT8

Star Member
Jan 30, 2020
Yes, even I read about the extension.
Winters are very harsh and its always difficult for a new immigrant to settle down. Even small things look difficult.
I can just say, if you have something in hand in India(job or business) then you can wait till Feb/Mar(just my thought).
We all are in a very messy situation.
Hey , thanks!
I have truly considered waiting till feb/March , but like I said what worries me is the amount of time they’ll take to issue an extension if they start asking for medicals and all again.

May I ask , what are you planning ? You’ve raised a ready to travel webform , correct ?

Amit k

Star Member
Oct 22, 2014
Hello there,

Does anybody know if there are VBM flights in November?
I was looking at Air India flights from Delhi to Toronto in Nov. and I don't see anything
Thanks,

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My landing experience:

Dear all, I landed in Toronto on 19 September. Here is my extensive write-up that will help you with your questions:

Travel schema: Chennai-->Delhi-->Toronto (all via Scam India)

Chennai to Delhi
1. Took an Uber with my father to arrive at Domestic terminal Departure minus three hours. AI staff took my eticket number and printed out both boarding passes (that looked like credit card transction slip--very thin flimsy paper). There were no pushcarts, so Dad kept an eye on my luggage while I went down to domestic arrivals and stole a cart from there and came back up the elevator. Then, I entered the airport after showing my boarding pass and photo ID (passport) to the CISF. CISF officer was a jerk and made some "Hindi nahi samjha?" remarks. In Tamil Nadu of all the places! Anyway, moving on...
2. Went to luggage check in counter and again had to clarify the COPR/Visa scenario because they thought my visa will expire in three days and also because it said on COPR "Not valid for travel". Be prepared to explain patiently if this happens to you. I was made to wait ten minutes and then allowed to check in luggage. My 2 checkins were <23 kg, but my cabin baggage (laptop bag and cabin suitcase) came to 13 kg. AI guy allowed it but warned me that it shouldn't cross 10 kg in total. Keep this in mind when you pack. Plan accordingly.
3. Security was standard. Despite what other people mentioned, security made me dump ALL the water I was carrying. I had two bottles unopened that they made me chuck. So drink up before and depend on the water fountains at the airport.
4. AI guys made me sign a health declaration form and after submiting gave me a visor, sachets of sanitizer and one mask. Bring enough of your own masks; 1 mask per 5-6 hours of wear. Same with hand sanitizer. Take one 50 mL bottle on hand, 2 in the hand luggage
5. Boarding was done with some social distancing. But you know our people; still crowding like idiots.
6. TAKE YOUR OWN FOOD. DON'T TOUCH THE FOOD ON AI FLIGHT. I AM SERIOUS. I took some idlis and chappatis, but was forced to eat some AI food due to the odd timings of flights. Big mistake. I've been having stomach and gas issues since landing and my doctor says that I may need antibiotics, which I didn't pack unfortunately. My forehead is red from slapping it so many times at my idiocy. Don't be me. Pack up some dry foods.

Delhi to Toronto
7. Landed in Delhi and followed the signs to International transfer. Gave my flimsy DEL-->YYZ boarding pass to the fellow outside the transfer gate for a proper printed colored pass. Filled up another healthform and indemity form. Handed these over and then entered through the gate towards passport control booth. Guy asked basic questions, looked at my COPR and visa and stamped my exit. Went through security and took the lift up to the gates.
8. Went through customs duty free shops, but most were closed, except for some alochol, book shops and stores selling basics like water bottles and chocolates. Don't buy water here; use the foot-pedal powered water fountains. Use the restrooms and use your hand sanitizer.
9. Starbucks was open, so you can have a coffee (at 1 am, lol). But I went straight to gate 20 and boarded my flight. Flight was PACKED. No social distancing.
10. Food box was on seat. After take off, most people slept and I used this time to eat some of the home-packed I had. The VB AI flight food was relatively better than the domestic version.
11. The USB port worked but my reading lights didn't. No inflight entertainment. Prepare your Netflix downloads and Spotify music beforehand. I downloaded two seasons of The IT Crowd while waiting to board at Delhi.
12. 95% of people wore their mask throughout the flight. 5% of them converted their face masks to chin wraps about halfway into the flight.
13. There was one additional semi-warm food service an hour or so prior to landing.
14. Flight itself was smooth and no much turbulence.
15. Custom declaration cards were given as well as health follow-up forms. Fill these up immediately. Take up a number with TextNow app on ios/Android and get a free virtual number. Use this number on your health form. Make sure your WifI in Airbnb is working because the Health Authorities will call you in two days on that number to test your compliance.
16. Plane landed and we deboarded 5 rows at a time.

At Canada airport/Immigration
17. We were made to wait in an empty room, seated with social distancing. Wifi is available, but I suggest you purchase a VPN beforehand so that your communications will be secure. I posted a Whatsapp status to announce my arrival and to inform family quickly. Use this time to also inform your Airbnb host (if applicable) that you have landed.
18. We were sent to the customs officers who took our passport and then asked us for the reason for visit. I said " I am a CPR holder and have arrived to complete my landing procedure". Don't say you are a permanent resident.
19. Take your custom declaration form and head out and an officer will stop you to collect the health form with your contact details.
20. Then you come to passport control. Wait in queue and FOLLOW social distancing. Some students got yelled at (proper yelled at) for not obeying. follow the markers on the ground at all times. One boy and girl were standing so close, a CBSA officer thought they were a couple and then when she realized, she said "Why are standing so close? Move back sir!!"
21. Don't talk nonsense to the officer when your turn comes. Hand over the customs dec card, your passport and the COPRs. Answer the questions he/she asks and keep it tight.
22. They will ask where the PR card should be sent; clarify that. They will sign off on your passport and visa page, stamp the COPR and make you sign in triplicate on EACH Copr. So six signatures in total from you. They will give you client copy of COPR.
23. Congratulations, you are now a PR of Canada. Welcome to Canada; welcome home!

Airport to accommodation
24. Collect your baggage from the carousel
25. Surrender your customs card after going through the green or red channels.
26. Exit the doors and you'll see the way to get to the cabs. Tempted as you might be, do not stop for Starbucks or anything else at the airport.
27. Take a taxi to your accomodation. Write the address down with some landmarks and intersection data and give it to the driver. Keep aside 100 dollars of your Forex for this. I paid 75 dollars that included a six dollar tip.
28. Social distance and get to the accommodation.
29. Arrange to have bread, butter, milk and some fruits delivered the day before or on the day you arrive. Eat simple, message the good news and crash.

Miscellaneous
-COVID19 negative certificate was insisted upon by Scam India when I called their hotline, but nobody at the airport asked for it.
-E-boarding pass for the domestic sector was not emailed to me; I did only webcheck in.
-I did the health declaration for AI online and even got an email for my records, but was asked again to do it at Chennai airport.
-Vande Bharat gives you one liter of water in two plastic bottles. You can go to the galley and take an extra one. No hostess service is available.
-Pack a course of antibiotics for a stomach infection without fail and keep a prescription for the same. It'll take atleast a month before OHIP kicks in, so you need to stay alive the first 14 days on your own and not need to go to a hospital.
You will be treated even if you have not received OHIP card yet and if you were ever asked to pay you could seek reimbursement after the fact because you were entitled to OHIP. Basic medication and a thermometer would be a good thing to pack so you can monitor and treat covid if you do catch it. You also may catch a cold or virus due to air travel and exhausting travel. When travelling always a good idea to bring stomach medication when eating strange food in transit and getting used to the bacteria and food in a new country. Would assume there is less chance of “Toronto belly“ versus “Delhi Belly”.

Reactions: vishakha

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
People should always review travel requirements soon before their flight because things can change and the situation is so fluid.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Winter is not the biggest issue. Wouldn’t recommend arriving in December and January because a lot of professional hiring shuts down during that period and restarts mid/end of January. There are less rentals posted for rent starting January 1st because people don’t want to move during the holidays.

Reactions: vishakha

pumpkin_latte

Oct 17, 2019
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
26-09-2019
Med's Done....
08-10-2019
Passport Req..
06-01-2020
VISA ISSUED...
24-01-2020
LANDED..........
19-09-2020
You will be treated even if you have not received OHIP card yet and if you were ever asked to pay you could seek reimbursement after the fact because you were entitled to OHIP. Basic medication and a thermometer would be a good thing to pack so you can monitor and treat covid if you do catch it. You also may catch a cold or virus due to air travel and exhausting travel. When travelling always a good idea to bring stomach medication when eating strange food in transit and getting used to the bacteria and food in a new country. Would assume there is less chance of “Toronto belly“ versus “Delhi Belly”.
How sure are you about this? Because I want to see a doctor on Monday when my quarantine is over.

And correct, bhai, I took all OTCs for general ailments. Diarrhoea, constipation, aches and pains, headaches, muscle aches, vitamin supplements and even electral OTC salts. Didn't strike to take antibiotics with a prescription. I was tired and couldn't think straight from the number of things I had to do before flying out. Getting out of India was stressing me more to be honest.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How sure are you about this? Because I want to see a doctor on Monday when my quarantine is over.

And correct, bhai, I took all OTCs for general ailments. Diarrhoea, constipation, aches and pains, headaches, muscle aches, vitamin supplements and even electral OTC salts. Didn't strike to take antibiotics with a prescription. I was tired and couldn't think straight from the number of things I had to do before flying out. Getting out of India was stressing me more to be honest.
Most of the time ATB are not needed or recommended. First of all would be contacting the MD offices and see whether they are able to see you in person. The fact that you are just coming off of quarantine may lead to you not being able to see many physicians in person. Also can be difficult to get an appointment for Monday even if you are attempting to go to a walk-in clinic since I am not sure what changes have been made when it comes to how they operate. I am sure how walk-in clinics operate is dependent on the province and the incidence rates of covid in that community.

I believe you can submit a claim to try and get reimbursed if you qualified for OHIP but had not applied yet but have not been able to confirm this in writing so do not take my word for this. Hopefully others can find the answer somewhere in the government documents. It would always need to go through a reimbursement claim process and may be quite the argument so not ideal. It would be a much better idea to apply for your OHIP card and get your temporary card and OHIP card # so you won’t have to pay upfront and apply to receive reimbursement.