+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling/Flights to Canada from India during COVID 19

nt13

Sep 1, 2017
So basically I have been researching the option of taking Europe route through VBM and Air Canada to land in Toronto.
However, for every lead I reached to figure if transiting EU Airports on different airlines would be a possibility, I only found that it was not. And albeit, a risk adventure to take.

A known travel agent who’s also a close friend of a friend of mine, went to the extent of saying that he would not book these tickets for me on this route even if I insisted. As he has seen people returning from Frankfurt/ London. He also agreed some exceptions happened in Apr-May with the help of airline staff as mentioned by @crackMBA , but there was practically no passenger traffic then. This isn’t the case now. And so it would be very high risk to take.

Anyone who’s done bookings here for this route ? Any inputs for this idea ??

pkhare23

Sep 25, 2019
So basically I have been researching the option of taking Europe route through VBM and Air Canada to land in Toronto.
However, for every lead I reached to figure if transiting EU Airports on different airlines would be a possibility, I only found that it was not. And albeit, a risk adventure to take.

A known travel agent who’s also a close friend of a friend of mine, went to the extent of saying that he would not book these tickets for me on this route even if I insisted. As he has seen people returning from Frankfurt/ London. He also agreed some exceptions happened in Apr-May with the help of airline staff as mentioned by @crackMBA , but there was practically no passenger traffic then. This isn’t the case now. And so it would be very high risk to take.

@nt13 as per the available information I can only conclude that albeit being risky that is the only option available to us currently until such time that our government lifts the restrictions placed on other Airlines for Indian nationals.

However I would try to answer you questions based on the information posted by different countries.

FRANCE
https://www.parisaeroport.fr/en/passengers/services/news/coronavirus---information-to-passengers-traveling-from-paris

Passengers transferring at Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport

Paris-CDG Airport is open and welcomes passengers transferring between two flights.

For passengers with an "integrated" transfer (one single booking reference number booked to one airline):
Your luggage will be transferred automatically by your airline from check-in until final destination. Your are entitled to remain airside to transfer. Follow the yellow transfer signs indicating your next departure terminal. You must possess and be able to show all necessary travel documents for your entry for your final destination.

For passenger "self-connecting" (two booking reference numbers, booked with two separate airlines) :
You must fulfil all entry conditions on the French territory and be able to present all relevant documents, in order to collect your luggage and check it in with your next airline.
If you do not meet all requirements to enter the French territory, you will have to remain airside, and contact as soon as possible both airlines to make sure your luggage are rushed onto your next flight.

All transfers longer than 24hrs are prohibited.

looking at this we are allowed to transit through Paris provided we have a COVID negative certificate. We don't need a visa for simple reason that we have valid Canadian Visa also we have Valid COPR.

GERMANY
https://www.germany.info/us-en/service/visa/covid-19/2365054

Exception: transit

The obligation to self-isolate at home does not apply in the case of transit through Germany. In this case, however, you are obliged to leave Germany immediately.

I hope this helps

nt13

Sep 1, 2017
I see a silver lining in the “Passengers Self Connecting Option” of France / Paris. And no doubt that’s only available option at the moment.

Let me figure out if there sufficient time interval between two connecting flights.

Have you booked this route ?
Also, I am willing to hold bookings until this week in the hope if the VBM Canada starts ... Air India has been consoling people on Twitter that they are working on it. And also, these agents I spoke to said there is a fair possibility of announcements coming in this week.

Reactions: crackMBA

pkhare23

Sep 25, 2019
I see a silver lining in the “Passengers Self Connecting Option” of France / Paris. And no doubt that’s only available option at the moment.

Let me figure out if there sufficient time interval between two connecting flights.

Also, I am willing to hold bookings until this week in the hope if the VBM Canada starts ... Air India has been consoling people on Twitter that they are working on it. And also, these agents I spoke to said there is a fair possibility of announcements coming in this week.
I haven't booked ..... Lets see if any other options open up or we get direct flights to Canada (this would be big relief to everyone waiting)

I don't know the expiry date of your COPR but if have enough time you can wait till end of month to take decision.

Last edited:

mr1989

Dec 23, 2019
I also talked to AI Customer Care, although I am not sure if we can rely on that person's information but he was saying there is definitely a chance of VBM Canada starting this week.

Currently the timings of the VBM flights to Paris & Frankfurt are really odd. I was checking the frankfurt option VBM reaches frankfurt at 18:40 & Air Canada's direct flight to toronto starts at around 10:00 layover of almost 15 hours

crackMBA

Mar 2, 2015
India
Hey

@nt13 Don't you feel that its kind off conditional for self-connecting. They did not mention it clearly.

Thanks

pkhare23

Sep 25, 2019
I also talked to AI Customer Care, although I am not sure if we can rely on that person's information but he was saying there is definitely a chance of VBM Canada starting this week.

Currently the timings of the VBM flights to Paris & Frankfurt are really odd. I was checking the frankfurt option VBM reaches frankfurt at 18:40 & Air Canada's direct flight to toronto starts at around 10:00 layover of almost 15 hours
That 12+ hours of layover time is most worrying thing.... in normal case scenario its okay in current scenario it's not advisable.

SC2

Jul 20, 2020

SC2

Jul 20, 2020
Hello , but why aren’t you Considering the Qatar airways option from delhi to Toronto via Doha . The last I checked there were tickets available.

crackMBA

Mar 2, 2015
India
Hello , but why aren’t you Considering the Qatar airways option from delhi to Toronto via Doha . The last I checked there were tickets available.
Which date? We are just discussing. My COPR has already expired. I would prefer a direct flight to Toronto after extension.

Reactions: hinavin