+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling/Flights to Canada from India during COVID 19

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
According to French Embassy

Airport Transit Visa

You are travelling from an airport in a country located outside the Schengen Area and staying in the international zone of an airport located in metropolitan France while waiting for your connection to your final destination, which is also located outside the Schengen Area

There are three types of airport transit visa (ATV):

• A one-way ATV, which authorizes one-way transit through a Schengen country;
  • A return ATV, which authorizes return airport transit through one or two Schengen countries;
  • A multiple ATV, which authorizes several transits through one or more Schengen countries.

You must apply for an “A” airport transit visa (ATV) if you hold:

• An ordinary, service or special passport issued by: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Somalia, or Sri Lanka;
  • An ordinary passport issued by: Cameroon, the Central African Republic, Chad, Côte d’Ivoire, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, Mali, Mauritania, the Philippines, the Republic of Guinea, the Republic of the Congo, Russia (if you are travelling from an airport located in Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova, Turkey or Egypt), Senegal, Sierra Leone, South Sudan, Sudan, or Syria;
  • A service passport issued by the Republic of Guinea;
  • A travel document issued by authorities in one of the above mentioned countries, of which the bearer is not a national;
  • A travel document for Palestinian refugees;
  • A travel document for Palestinian refugees issued by the Egyptian, Lebanese or Syrian authorities;
  • Status as a refugee from one of the above mentioned countries.

You do not require an airport transit visa if you are:

• An aircraft crew member or national of a country that is party to the Chicago Convention (except China);
  • A holder of a valid residence permit issued by a Member State of the European Union or the European Economic Area;
  • A holder of a residence permit guaranteeing the right of return and issued by Monaco, the Principality of Andorra, Japan, Canada, the United States or the Republic of San Marino;
  • A holder of a valid visa for a Member State of the European Union or the European Economic Area, Canada, the United States or Japan;
  • A family member of a national of the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland;
  • A holder of a valid Schengen visa, a national long-stay visa, or a residence permit issued by a Schengen country.

Reactions: pkhare23

nt13

Sep 1, 2017
Hey

@nt13 Don't you feel that its kind off conditional for self-connecting. They did not mention it clearly.

Thanks
Read the second point in the self connecting option :

For passenger "self-connecting" (two booking reference numbers, booked with two separate airlines) :
• You must fulfil all entry conditions on the French territory and be able to present all relevant documents, in order to collect your luggage and check it in with your next airline.
• If you do not meet all requirements to enter the French territory, you will have to remain airside, and contact as soon as possible both airlines to make sure your luggage are rushed onto your next flight.

All transfers longer than 24hrs are prohibited

HERE I FEEL WE HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY IF AIRLINES STAFF ENSURE THIS. For this, I had called up AI l, but the customer care representative clearly said that the baggage shall have to be collected at Frankfurt / Paris. Thats not reassuring to me.

Reactions: pkhare23

nt13

Sep 1, 2017
True.
Or if someone has already taken this route.
Yes, I came across a person on FB group who landed via AI VBM up to Frankfurt, and then by Air Canada up to Toronto. As per him (I asked him on the luggage thing), Air India and Air Canada both being Star Alliance members, his luggage was was tagged from Mumbai itself until Toronto. However, I still feel (read “Self Connecting)

For passenger "self-connecting" (two booking reference numbers, booked with two separate airlines) :
So how that works for 2 PNRs is what I am wanting to clarify. I still have my reservation for this idea, unless this remains the only last available option. Hoping for VBM Canada this week.

mr1989

Dec 23, 2019
That 12+ hours of layover time is most worrying thing.... in normal case scenario its okay in current scenario it's not advisable.
Yes and the Paris flights have even more. Landing at CDG (Paris) 18:55 and the next flight to toronto via Montreal (air canada) is at 15:15

mr1989

Dec 23, 2019
This is the response I got from German Embassy :

Dear Sir/Madam,

US/CAN citizens and holders of a residence permit or national visa (e.g. Green card) are exempted from the need of an A-Transit Visa. Therefore you could travel to Toronto via Frankfurt if you don’t leave the international transit area and have your luggage checked through till Toronto. You have to proof to the airline that the Canadian authorities will let you enter Canada. Proof of onward ticket is of course required. Please also check with your airline if your luggage will be checked through and if you can stay in the international transit area while changing planes. If this is not possible we can only give you the advice not to travel. Kindly note that a maximum stay in the international transit area is allowed for 24 hours.

Please have a look at the website of the German Federal Ministry of the Interior, also https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/faqs/EN/topics/civil-protection/coronavirus/coronavirus-faqs.html

We understand, that the requirements for being eligible for the Indian repatriation flights can be stricter than the entry regulations of the European countries of residence. German Embassy has no influence on the decisions of the Indian government or the airline about who will be allowed to board the flights

pkhare23

Sep 25, 2019

Dear Sir/Madam,

US/CAN citizens and holders of a residence permit or national visa (e.g. Green card) are exempted from the need of an A-Transit Visa. Therefore you could travel to Toronto via Frankfurt if you don’t leave the international transit area and have your luggage checked through till Toronto. You have to proof to the airline that the Canadian authorities will let you enter Canada. Proof of onward ticket is of course required. Please also check with your airline if your luggage will be checked through and if you can stay in the international transit area while changing planes. If this is not possible we can only give you the advice not to travel. Kindly note that a maximum stay in the international transit area is allowed for 24 hours.

Please have a look at the website of the German Federal Ministry of the Interior, also https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/faqs/EN/topics/civil-protection/coronavirus/coronavirus-faqs.html

We understand, that the requirements for being eligible for the Indian repatriation flights can be stricter than the entry regulations of the European countries of residence. German Embassy has no influence on the decisions of the Indian government or the airline about who will be allowed to board the flights
Thanks a lot mate

So this basically means that whether we travel through Frankfurt or Paris following conditions need to be met:
1. Our luggage should be checked all the way through Toronto at point of origin.
2. Layover time must be less than 24hrs.

Looking at the last paragraph I'm guessing even Germany embassy knows the rules for repatriation flights are ridiculous :D:D

mr1989

Dec 23, 2019
Thanks a lot mate

So this basically means that whether we travel through Frankfurt or Paris following conditions need to be met:
1. Our luggage should be checked all the way through Toronto at point of origin.
2. Layover time must be less than 24hrs.

Looking at the last paragraph I'm guessing even Germany embassy knows the rules for repatriation flights are ridiculous :D:D
The AI Customer care is not confirming if tagging our luggage all the way to Toronto can be done even if we book Air Canada for the next leg. They are saying you will have to talk to Airport Guys (Probably the one on the counters). If the booking is done on a single PNR then its possible. Is that something the ticketing agents can do ?

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017

Dear Sir/Madam,

Lol at German Embassy taking a dig at Indian government :D:D:D:D

manas27

Jul 21, 2020
According to French Embassy

Airport Transit Visa

You are travelling from an airport in a country located outside the Schengen Area and staying in the international zone of an airport located in metropolitan France while waiting for your connection to your final destination, which is also located outside the Schengen Area

There are three types of airport transit visa (ATV):

• A one-way ATV, which authorizes one-way transit through a Schengen country;
  • A return ATV, which authorizes return airport transit through one or two Schengen countries;
  • A multiple ATV, which authorizes several transits through one or more Schengen countries.

You must apply for an “A” airport transit visa (ATV) if you hold:

• An ordinary, service or special passport issued by: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Somalia, or Sri Lanka;
  • An ordinary passport issued by: Cameroon, the Central African Republic, Chad, Côte d’Ivoire, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, Mali, Mauritania, the Philippines, the Republic of Guinea, the Republic of the Congo, Russia (if you are travelling from an airport located in Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova, Turkey or Egypt), Senegal, Sierra Leone, South Sudan, Sudan, or Syria;
  • A service passport issued by the Republic of Guinea;
  • A travel document issued by authorities in one of the above mentioned countries, of which the bearer is not a national;
  • A travel document for Palestinian refugees;
  • A travel document for Palestinian refugees issued by the Egyptian, Lebanese or Syrian authorities;
  • Status as a refugee from one of the above mentioned countries.

You do not require an airport transit visa if you are:

• An aircraft crew member or national of a country that is party to the Chicago Convention (except China);
  • A holder of a valid residence permit issued by a Member State of the European Union or the European Economic Area;
  • A holder of a residence permit guaranteeing the right of return and issued by Monaco, the Principality of Andorra, Japan, Canada, the United States or the Republic of San Marino;
  • A holder of a valid visa for a Member State of the European Union or the European Economic Area, Canada, the United States or Japan;
  • A family member of a national of the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland;
  • A holder of a valid Schengen visa, a national long-stay visa, or a residence permit issued by a Schengen country.
Hey ! Is this from a reliable source ? If it is, then it confirms that a valid CoPR is enough to transit through Paris for Toronto right ?

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
The AI Customer care is not confirming if tagging our luggage all the way to Toronto can be done even if we book Air Canada for the next leg. They are saying you will have to talk to Airport Guys (Probably the one on the counters). If the booking is done on a single PNR then its possible. Is that something the ticketing agents can do ?
As far as I know if the two airlines fall under the same alliance or share a basic agreement then it should be possible to tag the luggage to the first point of entry at destination, even if you have two separate bookings.

For example, if you booked 3 separate bookings Delhi-Frankfurt, Frankfurt-Toronto, Toronto-Calgary. Your baggage will be tagged all the way to Toronto. Toronto-Calgary becomes a domestic flight hence your baggage will need to be checked in again and you will clear customs, onward to your domestic journey. Air India, Air Canada and Lufthansa are all part of Star Alliance :)

crackMBA

Mar 2, 2015
India
As far as I know if the two airlines fall under the same alliance or share a basic agreement then it should be possible to tag the luggage to the first point of entry at destination, even if you have two separate bookings.

For example, if you booked 3 separate bookings Delhi-Frankfurt, Frankfurt-Toronto, Toronto-Calgary. Your baggage will be tagged all the way to Toronto. Toronto-Calgary becomes a domestic flight hence your baggage will need to be checked in again and you will clear customs, onward to your domestic journey. Air India, Air Canada and Lufthansa are all part of Star Alliance :)
I am not denying your opinion @SithLord but as far as I have experienced if you have separate tickets you need to exit the airport and check in again does not matter even if its under same alliance. Airlines or air port authorities may be lenient during Covid times (as I have read 1 person doing it via London) but its better not to take risk unless we are sure.

Last edited:

crackMBA

Mar 2, 2015
India
Read the second point in the self connecting option :

• You must fulfil all entry conditions on the French territory and be able to present all relevant documents, in order to collect your luggage and check it in with your next airline.
• If you do not meet all requirements to enter the French territory, you will have to remain airside, and contact as soon as possible both airlines to make sure your luggage are rushed onto your next flight.

All transfers longer than 24hrs are prohibited

HERE I FEEL WE HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY IF AIRLINES STAFF ENSURE THIS. For this, I had called up AI l, but the customer care representative clearly said that the baggage shall have to be collected at Frankfurt / Paris. Thats not reassuring to me.
Yes, even I feel airport authority can help us or the airlines. It would be more clear after sharing the experience of the person who traveled via Frankfurt