+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling/Flights to Canada from India during COVID 19

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Guys, I’ve been following all updates on airlines but it’s so confusing.. there are so many dummy flights that I know will never really take off. My copr is expiring 6th sept and I’ve been approved before 18th March 2020. I was originally supposed to be flying in March on delta but since then I’ve been rescheduled numerous times coz of lockdown. Currently I have a KLM flight for 2nd sept but as far as I’ve read only eu citizens are allowed, right?
so what are my options? I’ve seen Videos on air India experience and it gives me shivers when I see ppl sticking right next to each other. I’m supposed to beflying Mumbai to Vancouver. @SithLord if I’m not wrong,this is your route too? You haven’t had any luck with flights either right?
Any insights will be much appreciated From everyone.
Agree that many have booked flights in August that were going to get cancelled. Unfortunately many people assume that because they were added that they were guaranteed. The situation is so fluid it is very hard to plan when it comes to restrictions.

Reactions: Tangygal27 and mage

mage

Star Member
Jul 24, 2020
Hi,

I am a valid PR holder, and am planning to travel to Toronto from Bangalore via Dubai or Abu-Dhabi(Emirates or Ethiad) in Aug end or early Sep.
Is there a ban on international travel from India currently, as I can see the tickets are available for sale on the airline websites and I am receiving contradicting information about the travel restrictions.

Thanks for the help!
There is indeed a ban, but not on international travel in its' entirety. The ban applies on scheduled commercial flights for sure though, which means that yes, you shouldn't rely on availability on tickets on airlines' sites alone. Some international flights are operating, but under many restrictions. Since you already are a PR (not CoPR) and have a preferred route and flight options, I'd recommend checking with airlines and getting a written confirmation for those flights (schedule and your travel-eligibility) and double-check on their refund policy.
All I know is that AI VBM flights for August are pretty much decided right now (flight numbers, schedule and prices) and my reasoning is that foreign/private carriers also should have got their approvals by now for the month of August. Passenger exit criteria for all these foreign/private carriers should be up on their respective sites (or with their support helplines) in the coming week. Of course, more options might open up later in the month. No certainty yet for September.

Reactions: sandeep.somanna

D2691

May 6, 2019
Hello everyone,

I have booked my ticket from Delhi-Toronto on 29th 2:15am.
My domestic flight from Mumbai to Delhi air India flight got cancelled and the only option is Mumbai-Ahmedabad-Delhi VBM flight which reaches Delhi at 11:15pm on the 28th leaving me with less time to catch my Toronto flight.
Any one else travelling from Mumbai facing this situation?

Thank you in advance

Tangygal27

Feb 13, 2018
Agree that many have booked flights in August that were going to get cancelled. Unfortunately many people assume that because they were added that they were guaranteed. The situation is so fluid it is very hard to plan when it comes to restrictions.
completely agree! but 6th sept is so close and with no flight its kinda freaky!! i'm afraid to let it expire as the new plan of action for expired copr suggests to give compelling reason for visit along with house, some lead on job? how to tackle that?

pkhare23

Sep 25, 2019
Guys, I’ve been following all updates on airlines but it’s so confusing.. there are so many dummy flights that I know will never really take off. My copr is expiring 6th sept and I’ve been approved before 18th March 2020. I was originally supposed to be flying in March on delta but since then I’ve been rescheduled numerous times coz of lockdown. Currently I have a KLM flight for 2nd sept but as far as I’ve read only eu citizens are allowed, right?
so what are my options? I’ve seen Videos on air India experience and it gives me shivers when I see ppl sticking right next to each other. I’m supposed to beflying Mumbai to Vancouver. @SithLord if I’m not wrong,this is your route too? You haven’t had any luck with flights either right?
Any insights will be much appreciated From everyone.
@Tangygal27 there are currently 3 options available to you .

Option 1
Take AI VBM flight to Frankfurt and then Air Canada from Frankfurt to Canada. You will reach Canada before the expiry of COPR. The only downside to this option is that travel time is almost 40-45 hrs depending upon the which domestic flight you take. Layover at Frankfurt is 12-15 hrs but people who travelled by this route have commented that sleeping pods are available at the airport also few people have book Transit hotel (200-350€) depending upon the the time you spend. Last I checked middle of August flights were available on this route last week of August are currently sold out AI flight to Frankfurt that is.

Option 2
Currently AI VBM direct flights to Vancouver are still available 23rd onwards. You can book these flights and take a connecting flight to your destination in canada. You will have to travel with AI which as you rightly said is stuffed to the max capacity. And Frankly speaking scary but you will reach Canada without spending too much travel time.

Option 3
Wait for your COPR to expire and ask for extension.

Commercial flights from india won't start anytime soon. Even though different travel bubbles are taking place as we speak chances of Indian nationals allowed to board these flights are slim to none. Looking at current scenario for international travel to open completely would take year end.

These are my honest opinion. Feel free to ask any questions if I have left anything.

pkhare23

Sep 25, 2019
completely agree! but 6th sept is so close and with no flight its kinda freaky!! i'm afraid to let it expire as the new plan of action for expired copr suggests to give compelling reason for visit along with house, some lead on job? how to tackle that?
They are asking your plan so you can give them as much detail as possible about how you are going to look for the job in your field, a resignation letter from current company will make a compelling case for you. As for house and travel plans give them tentative schedule or dates.

pkhare23

Sep 25, 2019
Hello everyone,

I have booked my ticket from Delhi-Toronto on 29th 2:15am.
My domestic flight from Mumbai to Delhi air India flight got cancelled and the only option is Mumbai-Ahmedabad-Delhi VBM flight which reaches Delhi at 11:15pm on the 28th leaving me with less time to catch my Toronto flight.
Any one else travelling from Mumbai facing this situation?

Thank you in advance
You can book vistara or indigo for domestic flights check with them regarding baggage.

pkhare23

Sep 25, 2019
Travel Experience:

Delhi- Frankfurt (30.07.2020)

We are COPR holders (approved before 18th March). After a long wait due to pandemic, we decided to take this route to reach our dream destination Canada.

Reading the past experiences of long cues at the airport , we reached the Airport approximately 6 hrs before the flight I.e around 7 am for the Air India flight scheduled for 1:30 pm. They usually open the entry by around 8:30 am. So we were the first ones to enter.

Plz make sure your Air India’s e-ticket no. Should start with 098 and that of Air Canada should be with 014.
DO NOT get both tickets issued on 014. You will not be allowed to board.

Before entering we were made to fill two forms , one was a self declaration form asking for our general information such as passport no. Address etc and a declaration that we are not suffering from any symptoms. The second one was titled ‘the quarantine form’ making us undertake that if we are deported , the cost will be borne by us an Air India will not be liable for action. (Don’t worry, both forms are readily available, rather the Air India staff provides it to you).

After entering the Airport from gate no.8 we were asked to show our visa at counter L, where an officer of Air India checks your visa , sends a picture to a portal or group and takes approval. In 2 minutes you are asked to move to the check -in counter ( provided you are exempted from travelling). Students are however are scrutinised thoroughly ( overheard the officer asking detailed questions from a student).

Check- in is usual, we showed them both our tickets I.e Delhi - Frankfurt and Frankfurt to Toronto. The Bags were tagged without even requesting them. We were charged Rs. 22k as we had an extra bag. We weren’t charged any penny for the 4 bags allowed by Air India. They are kind enough to waive of a kilo here and there. However a work permit holder was charged Rs. 7k for the second bag , stating it to be charges of Air Canada (so nothing is certain, entirely depends on their discretion).

The immigration was very smooth, probably the Air India ppl inquire more than the immigration officer at the immigration desk.

The flight was on time. Pathetic flight, felt like we are travelling in a loca roadway bus. A packet of food is kept on the seat which we did not open. My suggestion would be to carry your own food and water. The security doesn’t stop you from carrying any food and any no. Of water bottles ( try restricting by water bottles to two). There was no in flight entertainment. The staff is hardly seen. The washrooms were manageable (also depends on how passengers use it).

After landing , At the Frankfurt airport we crossed a security check where they check your bags and do not allow liquid more than 100ml ( water is allowed). It doesn’t take much time here. At the Frankfurt airport there a sandwich joint , which also has vegetarian options. McDonalds is open. Both places are open till 10pm - Frankfurt time. There are recliners , chairs to rest on. The terrace smoking area is accessible but only till 8-9 pm. There are other smoking areas as well , accessible all night. It is not that difficult to survive these 16 hrs. We were tired enough to lie down and sleep on the chairs.

Note: transit visa is not required for ppl holding valid resident permit of Canada. Rest plz check as I am not aware of the same.

Frankfurt- Toronto (31.07.2020)

After a long layover of 16 hrs we finally boarded Air Canada. A perfect flight with proper food , entertainment, seats etc. felt like you are actually in an international flight and not in a disgusting roadway bus.

Post Landing it took us about 3 hrs at the immigration ( delay was because of shortage in staff due to COVID and a long cue) . Immigration was smooth, just asked us the address to deliver the PR card and how much cash we were carrying. Others were asked about quarantine plan ( depends upon officer) .

After the immigration we went to the customs department to give our goods to follow list. Everything is systematic and logical.

PS: NOT MY EXPERIENCE I AM JUST SHARING IT

Reactions: mage and SithLord

Sidd1988can

Star Member
Jul 27, 2019
Travel Experience:

Delhi- Frankfurt (30.07.2020)

We are COPR holders (approved before 18th March). After a long wait due to pandemic, we decided to take this route to reach our dream destination Canada.

Reading the past experiences of long cues at the airport , we reached the Airport approximately 6 hrs before the flight I.e around 7 am for the Air India flight scheduled for 1:30 pm. They usually open the entry by around 8:30 am. So we were the first ones to enter.

Plz make sure your Air India’s e-ticket no. Should start with 098 and that of Air Canada should be with 014.
DO NOT get both tickets issued on 014. You will not be allowed to board.

Before entering we were made to fill two forms , one was a self declaration form asking for our general information such as passport no. Address etc and a declaration that we are not suffering from any symptoms. The second one was titled ‘the quarantine form’ making us undertake that if we are deported , the cost will be borne by us an Air India will not be liable for action. (Don’t worry, both forms are readily available, rather the Air India staff provides it to you).

After entering the Airport from gate no.8 we were asked to show our visa at counter L, where an officer of Air India checks your visa , sends a picture to a portal or group and takes approval. In 2 minutes you are asked to move to the check -in counter ( provided you are exempted from travelling). Students are however are scrutinised thoroughly ( overheard the officer asking detailed questions from a student).

Check- in is usual, we showed them both our tickets I.e Delhi - Frankfurt and Frankfurt to Toronto. The Bags were tagged without even requesting them. We were charged Rs. 22k as we had an extra bag. We weren’t charged any penny for the 4 bags allowed by Air India. They are kind enough to waive of a kilo here and there. However a work permit holder was charged Rs. 7k for the second bag , stating it to be charges of Air Canada (so nothing is certain, entirely depends on their discretion).

The immigration was very smooth, probably the Air India ppl inquire more than the immigration officer at the immigration desk.

The flight was on time. Pathetic flight, felt like we are travelling in a loca roadway bus. A packet of food is kept on the seat which we did not open. My suggestion would be to carry your own food and water. The security doesn’t stop you from carrying any food and any no. Of water bottles ( try restricting by water bottles to two). There was no in flight entertainment. The staff is hardly seen. The washrooms were manageable (also depends on how passengers use it).

After landing , At the Frankfurt airport we crossed a security check where they check your bags and do not allow liquid more than 100ml ( water is allowed). It doesn’t take much time here. At the Frankfurt airport there a sandwich joint , which also has vegetarian options. McDonalds is open. Both places are open till 10pm - Frankfurt time. There are recliners , chairs to rest on. The terrace smoking area is accessible but only till 8-9 pm. There are other smoking areas as well , accessible all night. It is not that difficult to survive these 16 hrs. We were tired enough to lie down and sleep on the chairs.

Note: transit visa is not required for ppl holding valid resident permit of Canada. Rest plz check as I am not aware of the same.

Frankfurt- Toronto (31.07.2020)

After a long layover of 16 hrs we finally boarded Air Canada. A perfect flight with proper food , entertainment, seats etc. felt like you are actually in an international flight and not in a disgusting roadway bus.

Post Landing it took us about 3 hrs at the immigration ( delay was because of shortage in staff due to COVID and a long cue) . Immigration was smooth, just asked us the address to deliver the PR card and how much cash we were carrying. Others were asked about quarantine plan ( depends upon officer) .

After the immigration we went to the customs department to give our goods to follow list. Everything is systematic and logical.

PS: NOT MY EXPERIENCE I AM JUST SHARING IT
Did u book tickets?

pumpkin_latte

Oct 17, 2019
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
26-09-2019
Med's Done....
08-10-2019
Passport Req..
06-01-2020
VISA ISSUED...
24-01-2020
LANDED..........
19-09-2020
I know this post is of a dissenting opinion, but hear me out: this thread is rightfully about getting to Canada, but it can also lose objectivity as every post is talking about routes, experiences and what not. It might unnecessarily cause FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) in others who were not keen on flying or were not perhaps considering AI VBM flights. Before you make any decisions driven by a creeping fear of FOMO, consider the following:

1. Is getting to Canada before COPR expiry worth the harrowing booking experience on AI VB, the real possibility of missing connecting flights, unexpected extra booking charges, having money "stuck" with AI?
2. The risk of contracting COVID19 on an Air India flight--when your own government throws safety out the escape hatch to scam 75,0000 rupees extra per middle row seat and makes you disavow them of any liability should you get ill. Never underestimate the desperation we have to get to Canada; somebody can actually be ill and might have popped some anti-pyretics pre-boarding to keep the fever down.
3. The stress and anxiety of flying and transiting for hours: this will bethe most stressful journey you've ever taken most likely. Is the stress worth it?
4. People whose COPR expires in late October- December 2020; will you be able to find jobs and adapt to the cold simultaneously? Would it be better to fly in January?
5. Did you have enough time to get vision and dental checks done before departure? Did you order spare glasses and some decent clothes to wear? Or will it be a rush job of putting three pairs of Jockey and your "Apna time aayega!" T-Shirt into a suitcase and figuring it out once you land in Toronto? :)

again, all these questions are purely exploratory and not meant to sway one's decision. I'm just trying to voice the other side of the argument so that forummers don't think nobody is thinking/considering them.

In the end, your decision to fly/abstain till extension is a combination of unique factors. No matter which way you decide, think of your health, your initial living conditions, survival job availability, etc before jumping the gun.

Your friend,
Pumpkin.

link2kunal

Aug 4, 2020
A question to those who have / are flying to another city to catch a VBM flight out of India. Any preferred airline particularly w.r.t. extra baggage or other concerns.
Have seen comments of 10k per extra bag against 5k flights.

I am travelling with family in end Aug ( Mumbai - Delhi - Toronto) in Aug end. Air India seems to be sold out (or seats blocked) except a morning flight.

Reactions: D2691

D2691

May 6, 2019
A question to those who have / are flying to another city to catch a VBM flight out of India. Any preferred airline particularly w.r.t. extra baggage or other concerns.

I am travelling with family in end Aug ( Mumbai - Delhi - Toronto) in Aug end. Air India seems to be sold out (or seats blocked) except a morning flight.
Hey,

I’m traveling Mumbai-Delhi on 28th August by air India 10am flight.
I had initially booked the ticket the same day I booked my Delhi-Toronto flight for 29th August. It was cancelled the next day By air India and they sent me an email.
After almost 3-4 days the same flight was reactivated and my tickets were re-booked by air India.
The main reason for taking air India domestic is baggage and plus same airline throughout. they say(I know there’s no guarantee) that international flyers will not be charged extra for baggage on the phone.

So yeah I’m taking air India Mumbai-Delhi for 28th August 10am,

hope this helps

Reactions: link2kunal

pkhare23

Sep 25, 2019

Two options I have seen people take are IndiGo or vistara.

IndiGo
You need to pre purchase the extra baggage before you board the flight.

Vistara
As per their website they allow additional luggage depending on which economy class you take and your international flight is within 24 hrs of domestic flights. However they may have changed the rules due to pandemic. So best option is call them and check

Abdullahahmed

Jan 24, 2019
Hey,

I’m traveling Mumbai-Delhi on 28th August by air India 10am flight.
I had initially booked the ticket the same day I booked my Delhi-Toronto flight for 29th August. It was cancelled the next day By air India and they sent me an email.
After almost 3-4 days the same flight was reactivated and my tickets were re-booked by air India.
The main reason for taking air India domestic is baggage and plus same airline throughout. they say(I know there’s no guarantee) that international flyers will not be charged extra for baggage on the phone.

So yeah I’m taking air India Mumbai-Delhi for 28th August 10am,

hope this helps
I too confirmed from the AI customer care that people boarding a domestic flight (only AI & not indigo /vistara/spicejet) having an onward international flight (AI only) will be allowed Intl baggage allowance even at domestic airport if they show their int'l confirmed itinerary. Very important point to take here is that both (domestic & int'l) flight MUST be AirIndia only.

Abdullahahmed

Jan 24, 2019
Two options I have seen people take are IndiGo or vistara.

IndiGo
You need to pre purchase the extra baggage before you board the flight.

Vistara
As per their website they allow additional luggage depending on which economy class you take and your international flight is within 24 hrs of domestic flights. However they may have changed the rules due to pandemic. So best option is call them and check
For vistara i checked that they would allow the Int'l baggage allowance only if the int'l carrier is within their network/group. I suppose AI is not.
So you will have to pay for excess baggage.