+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling/Flights to Canada from India during COVID 19

link2kunal

Aug 4, 2020
Hey,

I’m traveling Mumbai-Delhi on 28th August by air India 10am flight.
I had initially booked the ticket the same day I booked my Delhi-Toronto flight for 29th August. It was cancelled the next day By air India and they sent me an email.
After almost 3-4 days the same flight was reactivated and my tickets were re-booked by air India.
The main reason for taking air India domestic is baggage and plus same airline throughout. they say(I know there’s no guarantee) that international flyers will not be charged extra for baggage on the phone.

So yeah I’m taking air India Mumbai-Delhi for 28th August 10am,

hope this helps
Thanks for all the responses.

I have also read comments on extra baggage being allowed in Air India domestic.
Although not sure if they take luggage straight from Mumbai to Toronto or will need to be picked and checked in again at Delhi.
If it's the second how much before the flight do they let us head for security.
Safe Travels

Amit k

Star Member
Oct 22, 2014
I have booked tickets for Delhi - Vancouver, 30th August. And Vancouver - Calgary (domestic) .
My visa has expired on 1st July.
I'm looking for a place to quarantine for 14 days on Airbnb.

Will they provide an extension or do i have to book a place first ?
Have you emailed them with "Ready to travel webform"? And are you 100% sure you will get an extension before your fly? It might be risky. What is your VO?

Amit k

Star Member
Oct 22, 2014
I'd recommend being careful, check the details of the flight (operator, layover, transit time, etc.). If flight going out of India is AI within August and that matches up with the announced schedule of VBM-5 flights and you fulfill the transit requirements for passage through layovers, then yes, it should be safe to book.
Alright, thanks! Just very frustrating

mage

Star Member
Jul 24, 2020
Hey folks, I was just jotting down the things I learned to mind trying to book a flight since past few weeks, to save myself some time and headache, in case travel restrictions remain in place and I need them again, whenever that be
  1. Indian gov has to allow the airline to operate on that day and date - airline approval (tends to happen in batches/phases)
  2. Indian gov has to allow you to board the flight to go out - passenger eligibility criteria
  3. Receiving country has to allow you to come in by way of exemption from travel restrictions and also, issue you valid travel docs
  4. COVID precautions: Try to have a flight which is not packed to the hilt and avoid options, which are bound to create a rush at the airport - both when leaving and at arrival, if and where possible
  5. If route has a layover, then you need a transit visa or make sure that you are exempted from it
  6. For layover/connections or different tickets, make sure that next flight leaves from same airport (or even better, same terminal). If not, you may have to worry about the quarantine rules in force at your layover country
  7. If no route is available on a single ticket, then book two tickets, plan for transit visa (if needed) and provision enough time between flights for clearing immigration & customs & rechecking in luggage, etc. Without help from airline(s), it may not be feasible at all (think travel restrictions)
  8. May need to buy extra luggage, depending on connecting airlines' policies
  9. If going through a flight landing elsewhere in Canada first before final destination, then you need enough time for landing formalities (immigration/customs) at the first place, where you land before taking the next connection
Hope other people also find it helpful.

going2CA

Sep 16, 2019
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
28-09-2019
Med's Done....
17-10-2019
Passport Req..
09-03-2020
VISA ISSUED...
16-03-2020
LANDED..........
27-8-2020
A question to those who have / are flying to another city to catch a VBM flight out of India. Any preferred airline particularly w.r.t. extra baggage or other concerns.
Have seen comments of 10k per extra bag against 5k flights.

I am travelling with family in end Aug ( Mumbai - Delhi - Toronto) in Aug end. Air India seems to be sold out (or seats blocked) except a morning flight.
Try to get air india for the domestic flight also so there is no hassle with the luggage and paying extra

Reactions: link2kunal

going2CA

Sep 16, 2019
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
28-09-2019
Med's Done....
17-10-2019
Passport Req..
09-03-2020
VISA ISSUED...
16-03-2020
LANDED..........
27-8-2020
Thanks for all the responses.

I have also read comments on extra baggage being allowed in Air India domestic.
Although not sure if they take luggage straight from Mumbai to Toronto or will need to be picked and checked in again at Delhi.
If it's the second how much before the flight do they let us head for security.
Safe Travels
They ensure you make the connection. Don’t stress

pumpkin_latte

Oct 17, 2019
Toronto
Category........
FSW
People planning on boarding Air India flights, please read this below:

"According to the resource, Air India flight AC187 arrived from New Delhi in Toronto on July 28 with at least one case on board, and those seated in rows 25 to 31 may have been exposed to the virus as a result."

This is what happens when you pack people together into a plane during a pandemic to maximise your profits.

crackMBA

Mar 2, 2015
India
People planning on boarding Air India flights, please read this below:

"According to the resource, Air India flight AC187 arrived from New Delhi in Toronto on July 28 with at least one case on board, and those seated in rows 25 to 31 may have been exposed to the virus as a result."

This is what happens when you pack people together into a plane during a pandemic to maximise your profits.
This is scary but it is the risk that one needs to take while travelling in airplane that is why government is forcing mandatory isolation.
It is really difficult to stop the infection spread in an airplane even if it is not packed. I would not say all but other airlines are also doing the same. They only leave spaces if the seats are vacant.

Abdullahahmed

Jan 24, 2019
This is the response I got from German Embassy :

Dear Sir/Madam,

US/CAN citizens and holders of a residence permit or national visa (e.g. Green card) are exempted from the need of an A-Transit Visa. Therefore you could travel to Toronto via Frankfurt if you don’t leave the international transit area and have your luggage checked through till Toronto. You have to proof to the airline that the Canadian authorities will let you enter Canada. Proof of onward ticket is of course required. Please also check with your airline if your luggage will be checked through and if you can stay in the international transit area while changing planes. If this is not possible we can only give you the advice not to travel. Kindly note that a maximum stay in the international transit area is allowed for 24 hours.

Please have a look at the website of the German Federal Ministry of the Interior, also https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/faqs/EN/topics/civil-protection/coronavirus/coronavirus-faqs.html

We understand, that the requirements for being eligible for the Indian repatriation flights can be stricter than the entry regulations of the European countries of residence. German Embassy has no influence on the decisions of the Indian government or the airline about who will be allowed to board the flights
Hey! May i please ask.. The email id to write to the German embassy?
Thanx in advance

navyasri99

Jul 4, 2018
Hi guys! 62 hours of travel time later, Hello from Vancouver!! We reached a day before our COPR expired and I am so relieved!! :)

Here's my personal experience of travel from India, if it can help anyone

1. We booked an Air India flight (Hyderabad to Del) and Air India from Delhi Frankfurt. From Frankfurt to Toronto and then onward to Vancouver. We got the booking done via a travel agent. Indians with COPR approved before March 18th are allowed to transit via Frankfurt.
2. Our luggage was tagged from Hyderabad directly to Vancouver. Air India will only tag your luggage directly if the next airline is under Star Alliance (Air India and Air Canada are both under star alliance, so we didn't have an issue)
3. Hyderabad to Delhi -
-If you are travelling from any other city to Delhi to catch the VBM flight, please ensure that you are booking the domestic flights allotted to connect with VBM flights, else they won't tag your luggage directly/ you won't be able to transit to International terminal.
4. Layover at Delhi -
-We had an overnight layover of 13 hours at Delhi and rented a sleeping pod (Available both at single and double occupancy but a little expensive)
-You can also stay at Holiday Inn but the hotel was fully booked due to VBM passengers
-You cannot step out of the airport as you are in transit
5. Delhi to Frankfurt -
-AI flight to Frankfurt was smooth but only pre-packaged meals are available. I strongly suggest getting your own food (liquids are not allowed above 100ml, but food can be carried)
-Indians DO NOT follow social distancing one bit, so it was a little tense for me and my husband as people kept moving about. Carry a good supply of masks as Air India only gives one mask and it is advised to change your mask every 4-6 hours
6. Layover at Frankfurt -
-We had an overnight layover of 15 hours at Frankfurt to catch the Air Canada flight
- There is one transit hotel, but is very expensive and there are very few sleeping pods (cost about 100 euros per 8 hours). There are recliner chairs and you can sleep on these
- Again, please carry food as all shops close by 9pm and even the lounges close by 8pm
- Reach Air Canada counter by 8am to validate your documents and any queries
7. Flight to Toronto -
-Flight to Toronto was normal and the airplane was only 60% full. everyone followed social distancing rules, so it was much better than the AI flight
-On landing, all the COPR formalities took 3 hours and
-We onboarded the next flight to Vancouver and took a Lyft cab to our airbnb location
8. Other miscellaneous details -
-I wrote to Frankfurt airport authorities for confirmation that we would be allowed to travel and carried their confirmation email print out. I suggest you do the same (the email is bpold.frankfurt@polizei.bund.de)
-Download ArriveCan app and fill in the details of your quarantine in advance. Saves you a lot of time when you reach the customs section in port of entry

I am happy to answer any queries. feel free to DM or reply to this comment.

Wishing you all the very best :)

Regards,
Navya

Abdullahahmed

Jan 24, 2019
Hi guys! 62 hours of travel time later, Hello from Vancouver!! We reached a day before our COPR expired and I am so relieved!! :)

1. We booked an Air India flight (Hyderabad to Del) and Air India from Delhi Frankfurt. From Frankfurt to Toronto and then onward to Vancouver. We got the booking done via a travel agent. Indians with COPR approved before March 18th are allowed to transit via Frankfurt.
2. Our luggage was tagged from Hyderabad directly to Vancouver. Air India will only tag your luggage directly if the next airline is under Star Alliance (Air India and Air Canada are both under star alliance, so we didn't have an issue)
3. Hyderabad to Delhi -
-If you are travelling from any other city to Delhi to catch the VBM flight, please ensure that you are booking the domestic flights allotted to connect with VBM flights, else they won't tag your luggage directly/ you won't be able to transit to International terminal.
4. Layover at Delhi -
-We had an overnight layover of 13 hours at Delhi and rented a sleeping pod (Available both at single and double occupancy but a little expensive)
-You can also stay at Holiday Inn but the hotel was fully booked due to VBM passengers
5. Delhi to Frankfurt -
-AI flight to Frankfurt was smooth but only pre-packaged meals are available. I strongly suggest getting your own food (liquids are not allowed above 100ml, but food can be carried)
-Indians DO NOT follow social distancing one bit, so it was a little tense for me and my husband as people kept moving about. Carry a good supply of masks as Air India only gives one mask and it is advised to change your mask every 4-6 hours
-We had an overnight layover of 15 hours at Frankfurt to catch the Air Canada flight
- There is one transit hotel, but is very expensive and there are very few sleeping pods (cost about 100 euros per 8 hours). There are recliner chairs and you can sleep on these
- Again, please carry food as all shops close by 9pm and even the lounges close by 8pm
7. Flight to Toronto -
-Flight to Toronto was normal and the airplane was only 60% full. everyone followed social distancing rules, so it was much better than the AI flight
-We onboarded the next flight to Vancouver and took a Lyft cab to our airbnb location
-I wrote to Frankfurt airport authorities for confirmation that we would be allowed to travel and carried their confirmation email print out. I suggest you do the same (the email is bpold.frankfurt@polizei.bund.de)
-Download ArriveCan app and fill in the details of your quarantine in advance. Saves you a lot of time when you reach the customs section in port of entry

Regards,
Navya
Hi Navya
1st of all congratulations on your landing!!
Secondly, i am also planning to take the exact same route, i.e hyd-del-fra-yyz (AI and then aircanada)
So my 1st query is..did u book the entire journey on 1 single ticket/itinerary?
How did u do that? Can u please give me details of the agent u booked thru?

Reactions: navyasri99

Abdullahahmed

Jan 24, 2019

3. Hyderabad to Delhi -
4. Layover at Delhi -
5. Delhi to Frankfurt -
7. Flight to Toronto -

Regards,
Navya
2nd question - Were u allowed 2 pcs of luggage per passenger from hyd?
Did u have to request at the counter to tag your luggage directly to your destination?