+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel with a new passport and PR

dj996633

Jun 3, 2013
Hello,

Just wondering if someone can help me out. I got my PR within Canada 4 years ago. I did not have a valid passport at the time of landing. However I did end up getting the travel document from CIC so I can travel to the US. However I finally ended up getting my passport from my country and the I will be sending the travel document back to CIC. My question is if I travel now on a new passport does it have to be linked to my PR or all I need is just a PR when I return to Canada? In the past travel experience with the travel document I just had to scan my PR when re-entering Canada at the airport.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
DJ

dok

Apr 20, 2014
Just send CIC your new passport through the web submission. You are ok to go.
Also, I’m curious- what type of travel document did you receive from CIC in addition to your PR card?

dj996633

Jun 3, 2013
Just send CIC your new passport through the web submission. You are ok to go.
Also, I’m curious- what type of travel document did you receive from CIC in addition to your PR card?
What do you mean by web submission? I am not aware of any process like that. Can you let me know or share the link?
Yes the travel document I was using was the certificate of identity - even got 10 yrs US b1/b2 Visa on it.