+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel requirement for PR holder accompanied by spouse (Spouse not having PR or visa)

Xavier07

Jul 14, 2018
I hold Canadian PR but my spouse doesn't have PR nor hold any visitor visa. What are the requirements/documents required for me to bring her along with me to Canada from USA?

The blog posting here on Canada.ca website states that spouse can accompany PR holder and it doesn't mention any tourist visa requirement. Please shed some light on documents necessary for travel from US to Canada. Sources: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

Also, will I be able to apply PR for my spouse once she is inside Canada ??

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I hold Canadian PR but my spouse doesn't have PR nor hold any visitor visa. What are the requirements/documents required for me to bring her along with me to Canada from USA?

The blog posting here on Canada.ca website states that spouse can accompany PR holder and it doesn't mention any tourist visa requirement. Please shed some light on documents necessary for travel from US to Canada. Sources: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

Also, will I be able to apply PR for my spouse once she is inside Canada ??
Depends on passport nationality. Either a TRV will be required to enter Canada or an eTA (if your spouse is from a visa exempt country). I am making the assumption your spouse is not American, in which case different rules would apply.

Yes, you can sponsor your spouse for PR once you are both in Canada provided you meet the residency requirement at the time the application is submitted.

Xavier07

Jul 14, 2018
In official Canadian website, it doesn't mention about TRV. It just says we need to have document to prove immediate family member requirement and quarantine plan.

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

"
Foreign nationals who are eligible to travel to Canada
To be eligible to travel to Canada as a foreign national, you must meet the requirements for either

You must also have a quarantine plan that shows how you’ll quarantine for 14 days when you arrive in Canada. This plan is mandatory.

Immediate family members of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
To be eligible, you must provide evidence that you’re both

If you’re staying for less than 15 days, you must meet the same requirements as all other foreign nationals.

"

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
In official Canadian website, it doesn't mention about TRV. It just says we need to have document to prove immediate family member requirement and quarantine plan.

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

"
Foreign nationals who are eligible to travel to Canada
To be eligible to travel to Canada as a foreign national, you must meet the requirements for either

You must also have a quarantine plan that shows how you’ll quarantine for 14 days when you arrive in Canada. This plan is mandatory.

Immediate family members of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
To be eligible, you must provide evidence that you’re both

If you’re staying for less than 15 days, you must meet the same requirements as all other foreign nationals.

"
I've very familiar with the IRCC web site.

A TRV is still required. The above rules and measures sit on top normal travel requirements such as having a valid TRV/eTA and valid passport.