+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel Health Insurance for Pregnancy...

S

SaugaBoss

Did anyone purchase health insurance in Canada before being sponsored and were pregnant?? I am not sure where to buy insurance... all the places i checked dont cover for people who r already pregnant :-X I'm only like a couple weeks.

Plus when i get OHIP it wont kick in for 3 months.... this kind of sux...any suggestions?

I tried Co-operators they dont cover

(I am in Ontario)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

SaugaBoss said:
Did anyone purchase health insurance in Canada before being sponsored and were pregnant?? I am not sure where to buy insurance... all the places i checked dont cover for people who r already pregnant :-X I'm only like a couple weeks.

Plus when i get OHIP it wont kick in for 3 months.... this kind of sux...any suggestions?

I tried Co-operators they dont cover

(I am in Ontario)
No insurance will cover a pregnancy, as they know they would be paying out more than they take in.

S

SaugaBoss

so pretty much i have to pay out of pocket for everything? :-X :-X

ditta

Oct 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-10
Med's Done....
20-06-10
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
02-06-11
Unfortunatley Baloo is right. There is no travel insurance which covers other than emergencies.

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
As mentioned, most cover emergency for pregnancy (and it's reasonable up until a certain gestation), I think you may qualify to see a public health nurse to have routine prenatal care until your 3 months kicks in (esp if it is early on, the appts are so far apart anyways... You may have to demonstrate financial distress to qualify.... I took my daughter to get her 6m shots at a public health clinic when we first returned to Canada and had no health coverage...

Check with a womans group if you are truly in need otherwise it's out of pocket for prenatal, which early on can't be that much really... You pee in a cup, check weight and belly size and not much else.... Could maybe see a midwife to reduce costs still... They offer exactly the same care....

S

SaugaBoss

chelley said:
As mentioned, most cover emergency for pregnancy (and it's reasonable up until a certain gestation), I think you may qualify to see a public health nurse to have routine prenatal care until your 3 months kicks in (esp if it is early on, the appts are so far apart anyways... You may have to demonstrate financial distress to qualify.... I took my daughter to get her 6m shots at a public health clinic when we first returned to Canada and had no health coverage...

Check with a womans group if you are truly in need otherwise it's out of pocket for prenatal, which early on can't be that much really... You pee in a cup, check weight and belly size and not much else.... Could maybe see a midwife to reduce costs still... They offer exactly the same care....
thank u! i checked with my husbands family doc its only 55$ for the doc checkup then they refer u to a obgyn and im only like 9 weeks so i probably wont have to go again maybe for a month. i hope i will b fully sponsored before i am due in July. *so April being latest for OHIP to kick in*

S

SaugaBoss

50$ for reg doctor then around 80 for ultrasounds... not bad just not sure how often i have to go :eek: i hope i can get a work permit under nafta so i get ohip quicker!

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
if everything is copesetic and you have no history of high-risk pregnancies, you wont see a obgyn/midwife until around 12 weeks... at which time they will order the blood work and an ultrasound... you see the doctor every 4 weeks until 24 weeks, then every 2 weeks until 32, then every week? something like that... there is another ultrasound at around 20 weeks, a glucose screen at about 20 weeks and another blood around the same time too...

if you go the midwife route, i don't believe you need a doctor referral... i think you can just walk in if i remember correctly...I did my second pregnancy under the care of a midwife (although i ended up an emergency c section, go figure)... and i think i just looked them up in the phone book... since they aren't technically doctors, they don't have the same policies about accpeting patients, and honestly they offer the very same care, same tests, and actually spend MORE time discussing things with you and addressing your concerns (and i imagine it's cheaper)... my midwife talked to me for a half hour every appointment, where my OB had me in and out in 5 minutes flat (and waiting for at least a half hour usually!)....

i suggest trying one out in the beginning (assuming you are not high risk, I don't think they will accept high risk)... when your benefits kick in, then you can "decide" you'd rather have the services of a doctor at your delivery and ask for a referral... if you decide to stick with the midwife, you have the same delivery options (drugs/epidural ect) that you would with a doctor (the midwife is supposed to support your decision/birth plan whatever that may be)... it really is a better level of care, you just lack that medical degree (but if there are any issues, they do get medical professionals involved quick... when my son stopped moving in my stomach, my midwife met me at the hosptial and hooked me up to the monitors, then called the doctor in right away when she wasn't happy with what she saw... my son had did a few too many flips and had his cord wrapped around his neck 3x... was removed by c-section at 33weeks.... i honestly feel that if i had called a doctor saying i wasn't feeling movement on a Saturday morning, I may have been told to just hold off and be patient for a while longer, i think Doctors tend to think mothers are a bit flakey when it comes to stuff like this!... but my midwife wanted me to rush right in, she even beat me in there... one nurse said my son wouldn't have survived another day in the state he was in, so it was such a good thing!)

not to harp on it, but another great thing about midwives is the aftercare... that's why i went that route... they actually come to your house, check on you and the baby... see how you are holding up and healing.... mine even pitched in and did my dishes! lol... they visit a few times a week during the two weeks and then as needed afterwards i think... and this was after i had an emergency c-section too...

ugh! so sorry for the ramble!!! just brought back some memories, i forgot how much i actually enjoyed the midwife experience :)

ditta

Oct 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-06-10
Med's Done....
20-06-10
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
02-06-11
I wanted to suggest you the midwives sevices. If I remember correctly in BC you can go see them without health coverage still for free. If you have a normal pregnancy with no complications at least you can use them at the beginning and then you can opt for doctors. I really wish for you to get the OHIP in time, before your delivery- it would take a lot off your shoulders!

S

SaugaBoss

thank u guys so much! ill take a look but jw how do u find a midwife? like im planning on going to a regular fam doc and then getting referred to someone so i will ask my fam doc.

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
i looked up midwife in the phone book and called directly... it is covered by health coverage in Ontario BTW... not sure about it being free without coverage... i doubt it, but i imagine it's cheaper than an OBGYN or even a regular MD (who also can do routine pregnancy checkups, an OBGYN isn't necessary, but most women prefer going that route as opposed to their doctors)... i remember in the US my OBGYN appt was about double a family doctor (I used to get the bills and have to file them off to my exs work claims, not sure if the pricing is the same up here, i'd call and get quotes to make the best decision...)

congrats by the way :)

S

SaugaBoss

ohh thanks so much for the info im going to check the midwife option out before i book an appt with a family doctor!

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
Sauga midewives get booked very quickly. I would call as soon as possible. Without coverage and no complications a midwife costs around $3000-$5000.