+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel document from New Delhi consulate

karenps

Jul 30, 2012
Hello all,
I was wondering if any of you can shed some light on this. How long does it take for the consulate to issue a travel document for a Canadian PR who meets the 2 out of 5 year requirement? Have any of you recently submitted an application for a travel document to this office? How long did it take for you to receive it?

Also, is there any way to contact them. It's been almost 20 business days and we haven't heard anything back. I just want to make sure the passport isn't lost in transit somewhere. Very worried. Any of your experiences would greatly help.

Thank you.
Karen

suprasad

Apr 19, 2013
Hi
We have applied for our travel document, its been more than 25 working days and we have not yet heard back from the Delhi office. Did you receive your Travel document yet?
Thanks

Aries2013

Apr 24, 2013
Hi there ,
I did applyed too from 38 working days but from Jordan, also no answer at all ,please inform me when u have any thing back I'm getting crazy.
thank you
sam.

karenps

Jul 30, 2012
Hello all,
We just received the TD from the Delhi consulate today, almost 30 business days after we sent. Hopefully you will get yours soon.

Best,
Karen

smithagrg

May 15, 2013
suprasad,

Did you receieve the travel document yet? We applied in Feb and there is no response till now. For people who got the TD, how long is it valid for and what courier service does the consulte use to return documents?

smitha

Madhu1185

May 21, 2013
Did youn receive your travel doc? I will be applying around forty five days before my intended departure.how long did your processing take and did it get delayed because of any particular reason like documents not filed properly etc?
Looking forward to your immediate response

Madhu

canvi

Feb 20, 2013
Hello,

I have a question on travel document.

I had to come back to India before receiving my PR card in Canada (I am new landed permanent resident). I applied for travel document in order to return to Canada as permanent resident. I am going to receive travel document in a day or 2 in India

I read on cbsa website that

"The Single Journey Travel Document will be issued in conjunction with a counterfoil visa and will include a die-cut photo. Without seals over the counterfoil and photo, the document is not valid for travel. The document will be recovered by the port of entry officers upon arrival in Canada."

What is a die-cut photo ? Does it mean my photo will not be clear on travel document?

So will I get my travel document in a sealed envelope OR will the "visa part" and "photograph part" of the travel document be covered with another paper/seal so that it can't be seen by anyone else.

If it is so, can I open the seal myself and see the details for visa and my photograph (to verify they are correct and they belong to me)?

OR should I simply carry the document as is and immigration officer at Canada airport will open the seal?

How can I verify that I got my travel document with all accurate details without being rejected.

Please suggest. Thanks a lot for all your help.

canvi

Feb 20, 2013
Hello Delcan, You sent me me a message but I can't send personal messages to anyone on this forum.
I hope you see this message. If you see it, please reply here on this forum, so that I know.

For me it took nearly 25 days to get travel document. But usually it takes only 10 business days (sometimes less). The reason for delay in processing my application is due to the fact that CIC staff were on strike at that time. I am not sure if the strike is still going on. You can call consulate office in NewDelhi to find out if the stirke is still on.
There will not be any issues to enter Canada with travel document,as you already have met all conditions for PR and landed successfully. You only travel document to enter Canada (no other documents such as income proof, employment etc...). As many other people say, you should carry "Confirmation of Permanent Residency" just in case.
When I landed in Toronto, the customs officer asked "on which visa, I am coming to Canada". I mentioned that "I am coming to Canada using travel document".
The other thing is that "Customs officer" in India airport at the time departing, didn't understand what type of visa, I have. I explained to him that it is travel document. Then he stamped my passport. There will not be any issues to enter Canada with travel document. Just make sure you have some id proofs/marriage certificate, as customs officer can ask for proof of ids if they want to.

Please remember that you can't apply for visitor visa once you became PR. If you apply for visitor visa (to enter Canada) instead of Travel document, your application will be returned. I am sure about this.

delcan

Star Member
Nov 21, 2012
canvi said:
Hello Delcan, You sent me me a message but I can't send personal messages to anyone on this forum.
I hope you see this message. If you see it, please reply here on this forum, so that I know.

For me it took nearly 25 days to get travel document. But usually it takes only 10 business days (sometimes less). The reason for delay in processing my application is due to the fact that CIC staff were on strike at that time. I am not sure if the strike is still going on. You can call consulate office in NewDelhi to find out if the stirke is still on.
There will not be any issues to enter Canada with travel document,as you already have met all conditions for PR and landed successfully. You only travel document to enter Canada (no other documents such as income proof, employment etc...). As many other people say, you should carry "Confirmation of Permanent Residency" just in case.
When I landed in Toronto, the customs officer asked "on which visa, I am coming to Canada". I mentioned that "I am coming to Canada using travel document".
The other thing is that "Customs officer" in India airport at the time departing, didn't understand what type of visa, I have. I explained to him that it is travel document. Then he stamped my passport. There will not be any issues to enter Canada with travel document. Just make sure you have some id proofs/marriage certificate, as customs officer can ask for proof of ids if they want to.

Please remember that you can't apply for visitor visa once you became PR. If you apply for visitor visa (to enter Canada) instead of Travel document, your application will be returned. I am sure about this.

Thanks a lot canvi .your inputs are very helpful .

Macpandya

Dec 21, 2013
Hi
canvi
This is my first post in this forum,
I have same problem, my pr card expired last month and forget to renew,
I have to go india on 27 dec., next week. can i apply for TD from Canada??
can i apply to VFS office in Ahmadabad??
can my relative submit application to VFS office with applicable process fee??
I am leaving canada on 27 dec., and must come back on 15 JAN to resume job.
Need urgent reply ,as i dont have enough time to take decision to go or cancelled visit.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Mac

chipmunk01

Mar 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-04-2013
AOR Received.
30-05-2013
Med's Request
10-10-2013
Hi Canvi - I am in similar situation. I heard from other members on this forum that it took them more than a month. How long it took for you? Pls let me know if you applied travel document on your own or through VFS?

Aug 31, 2015
Aries2013 said:
Hi there ,
I did applyed too from 38 working days but from Jordan, also no answer at all ,please inform me when u have any thing back I'm getting crazy.
thank you
sam.
Hello there,
I applied too from Jordan how long did it take you to receive your travel document? I really need to get back to Canada!!!

Anuradh

Mar 8, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi ,
What is the validity time period of permanent resident travel document from India to Canada..I mean for how many months it remains valid to travel affter issue..plz help...it's urgent