+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel by car to US before receiving PR cards

skye

Star Member
Nov 3, 2010
We sent our photos and application in on March 4th and still have not received our first PR cards. I am waiting to hear back from our representative about tracking it but we are planning to go to NY next week to see family and I am curious what we will need coming back into Canada. My husband and I still have valid work permits, as well as copies of our COPR. I saw somewhere that for crossing land border, maybe we don't actually need the PR cards? Anyone have any information about this?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We sent our photos and application in on March 4th and still have not received our first PR cards. I am waiting to hear back from our representative about tracking it but we are planning to go to NY next week to see family and I am curious what we will need coming back into Canada. My husband and I still have valid work permits, as well as copies of our COPR. I saw somewhere that for crossing land border, maybe we don't actually need the PR cards? Anyone have any information about this?
You can use your COPR. Your work permits are most likely no longer valid and were most likely automatically canceled in the system when you became PRs.

Reactions: skye

skye

Star Member
Nov 3, 2010
You can use your COPR. Your work permits are most likely no longer valid and were most likely automatically canceled in the system when you became PRs.
Thanks so much! We'll be coming back in August. I'll update this thread then and let you all know how it goes.

skye

Star Member
Nov 3, 2010
So we just got back from the states and I wanted to let you all know how it went coming over the border. First of all, let me just tell you that you need to have everything printed out before you get to the border. Covid has added so many requirements no. So fill out the ArriveCan app, print out your vaccine receipts. If you got a vaccine in the US, take a picture of your vaccine card, and then print that out. And print out your ArriveCan app receipt. Why are we bothering using digital if we just print it all out? LOL.

So we had all our ArriveCan ducks in a row. We got our Covid tests done at CVS, and they do not give you online results for children under age 14, my son is 12. So my husband had to put a fax app on his phone, then get CVS to fax the results, which took a few tries, actually. Then print it out.

We had our COPR emails printed out as well, as we didn't get our PR cards yet. They said we needed to go into the building and have our PR verified. This was no problem and took less than 10 minutes. They verified us, and gave us a code to leave the parking lot, and we were done. It was very quick and easy. Can't believe how long the PR cards are taking.

Reactions: Shruty and YVR123