+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transit visa required for Refugee travel document holders?

open4life

Feb 24, 2017
Because i have the same case, and planning to travel at December, i have emailed China southern airlines with this message:

Dear airlines,
I’ planning to travel to Malaysia soon using your airlines.
My targeted ticket route is: Toronto > CAN Guangzhou > KUL.
Flights numbers: China Southern CZ312 and China Southern CZ349

My Questions are:
Is there any reason to prevent me for boarding on that flight?
Would I need a transit visa in CAN?

Providing that:
I have a valid refugee travel document issued by Canada (not passport)
I have a Malaysian valid visa
Transit duration is less than 12 hours in CAN
I’ll be booking a return ticket

Thanks in advance for your feedback
Best regards

and this was their reply:

Dear passenger,

Because different countries have different entry and exit requirements for passengers holding different licenses, please consult the local embassy or exit & entry administration to confirm relevant visa matters before purchasing tickets and going for a trip.

Thank you for selecting China Southern Airlines.

Tips:
If you still have any other questions, please directly reply the original email, without need of deleting its content, or call the official customer service hotline 95539(Domestic hotline)、+86-4008695539(Overseas hotline) or log in the official website ,www.csair.com, beaware of fraud. 【China southern airlines】

China Southern Airlines Customer Service Hotlines:

95539 (domestic)

+86-4008695539(international)

Email:flychinasouthern@csair.com

open4life

Feb 24, 2017
Then i called the call center of the Taiwanese airlines EVA AIR in Toronto, and asked the same question, the employee told me she don't know anything about "travel document" and she refers me to the Taiwanese embassy to ask them.

open4life

Feb 24, 2017
anyone has tried to have a transit stop at Taiwan? Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport TPE with the travel document?

shahzeb520

Nov 4, 2018
Hi all

Has anyone experience the following situation?

Traveled on Qatar airways Via Doha on Refugee travel documents (only transit in Doha) not leaving the airport.

Or

Traveled on Etihad airways Via Abu Dhabi on Refugee travel documents (only transit in Abu Dhabi) not leaving the airport.

I am aware that the gulf countries do not recognize refugee travel documents but is it OK for me to travel via Abu Dhabi or Doha to Thailand.

any information will be appreciated.

Thanks

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
Hi all

Has anyone experience the following situation?

Traveled on Qatar airways Via Doha on Refugee travel documents (only transit in Doha) not leaving the airport.

Or

Traveled on Etihad airways Via Abu Dhabi on Refugee travel documents (only transit in Abu Dhabi) not leaving the airport.

I am aware that the gulf countries do not recognize refugee travel documents but is it OK for me to travel via Abu Dhabi or Doha to Thailand.

any information will be appreciated.

Thanks
I just checked the visa requirements online of going either way. What I found is you would need a transit visa if you go through Doha. While if you go through Abu Dhabi there would be no transit visa required as long as your bags are tagged to your final destination. You would also need a visa for Thailand, and make sure your Refugee Travel Document is going to be valid for a period of at least 6 months from your arrival date in Thailand.
This what I was able to find online. It's always better to check call the airline you're planning on flying with to double check with them.
Good luck!

shahzeb520

Nov 4, 2018
I just checked the visa requirements online of going either way. What I found is you would need a transit visa if you go through Doha. While if you go through Abu Dhabi there would be no transit visa required as long as your bags are tagged to your final destination. You would also need a visa for Thailand, and make sure your Refugee Travel Document is going to be valid for a period of at least 6 months from your arrival date in Thailand.
This what I was able to find online. It's always better to check call the airline you're planning on flying with to double check with them.
Good luck!
Thanks a lot really appreciate it

open4life

Feb 24, 2017
ok guys, i had a successful trip, after i got the visa from Ottawa consulate (mail or person)
Toronto to Kuala Lumpur , via CAN (china)
China southern airlines.
everything went ok, just make sure you have your return trip with you, and it shouldn't show a stay more than 30 days in Malaysia.

dandanah

Mar 12, 2019
Hey open4life, I'm glad everything worked out in the end! Sounds like you had to apply for a visa to transit through China, correct? As part of the visa process were you required to provide a PR card? Reason I ask is because a friend of mine is experiencing a similar situation. He has been issued a Canadian Refugee Travel Document due to the backlog of PR applications being processed so doesn't have his PR card yet.

dandanah

Mar 12, 2019
ok guys, i had a successful trip, after i got the visa from Ottawa consulate (mail or person)
Toronto to Kuala Lumpur , via CAN (china)
China southern airlines.
everything went ok, just make sure you have your return trip with you, and it shouldn't show a stay more than 30 days in Malaysia.
I meant to add to my post, this is for a trip to Bangkok. The visa for Thailand has been issued but it appears another visa is required to transit through China (Shanghai).

tender91

Mar 3, 2018
Can someone help please. I was denied boarding my flight to Thailand via Nanjing China cause i required a Chinese transit visa. My transit time was to be 7 hours at Nanjing airport. What options do i have now that i was denied my flight. The embassy could'nt give the correct information regarding this issue.
Take a deep breath and go back to your point of origin, then book another flight THROUGH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD BUT CHINA!! I advice alllllll refugees with travel documents no matter how tempting the cheap transits are in china, to never EVER book anywhere through China.

Reactions: rasmy

tender91

Mar 3, 2018
no i didn't issue a transit visa for china, it is not required.
i don't have the PR card as well.
no i didn't issue a transit visa for china, it is not required.
i don't have the PR card as well.
I missed my flight from a transit in China and china made me go back to my point of origin, they ddid not allow me to board another flight or book any other flight!! There is no required transit visa but anything happens to you there its over for you no mercy at all.

rasmy

Nov 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I missed my flight from a transit in China and china made me go back to my point of origin, they ddid not allow me to board another flight or book any other flight!! There is no required transit visa but anything happens to you there its over for you no mercy at all.
I am so sorry to hear that. I lost money through this route. Avoid China at all cost. There is no information and no help you should expect form Chinese Airlines or embassy on whether a transit visa is required or not.

BlueMoon8794

May 20, 2018
I am so sorry to hear that. I lost money through this route. Avoid China at all cost. There is no information and no help you should expect form Chinese Airlines or embassy on whether a transit visa is required or not.
How was your trip @rasmy ? Did you manage to take another flight to thailand? Any other transit visa that you applied for?