+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transferring Alaska, USA DL to a B.C. Driver's License?

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
I'm preparing to land as a PR soon, so I've started researching how to get a SIN number, driver's license, BC MSP card, etc... in more detail.

So, from everything I've read on the ICBC website, I can easily transfer my Alaska, USA driver's license for a full B.C. license since I have more than 2 years of driving experience, but I do have a question.

Can I swap my current driver's license for a B.C. before I have my PR card? I've read in several places on the ICBC website that the Confirmation of Permanent Residence is not considered a valid primary identity document: "Confirmation of permanent resident IMM5292 or IMM5688 are not accepted as primary ID." http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/visit-dl-office/Pages/Accepted-ID.aspx

I'm confused, because I've seen several people on here post saying that they have successfully and recently received a driver's license with only a COPR, even though the website clearly states that they don't accept it. I've also heard of other people who have tried to get one with only a COPR and have failed.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
I'm pretty sure COPR isn't proof of ID, but your passport is and so that's your first proof of ID, secondary proof is more flexible so even a bank or credit card with the same name will do there.

I had no issues getting a driving license (in ON and from a UK one granted, and on a work permit), it was the health care card that was a right pain. Driving licenses are pretty easy to transfer from US/UK they take the one off you and send it back then give you your new one for $80 or so.

I believe you can drive on a US for a while (at least 6 months) instead of the normal 2 anyway?

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
I think transferring a license in B.C. is fairly different than Ontario.

At least according to the ICBC website, a foreign passport is not accepted primary ID (or a foreign birth certificate). A passport for me would be considered secondary ID, which would be unnecessary because that's what my old DL would serve as. It looks like what they want for a foreigner is hard proof of legal status in Canada, like a word/study/visitor permit/visa, but they don't accept COPRs (which is what I have conflicting information of) as proof of that. Since I am here on visitor status on a visa-exempt passport, I won't have the required documents until I have a PR card. I've heard of people have zero problem getting their driver's license transferred from the U.S. to BC with a COPR, but I've also heard of people who haven't been so lucky.

I guess I'll just have to end up going down to ICBC and see what they tell me.

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
I know for sure that in Ontario, you could have just presented your foreign passport and your Alaska license, and they would swap it with the Ontario one.

In BC, however, apparently you'd need to prove your immigration status, and unfortunately, they were being very explicit that IMM5292 or IMM5688 would not be accepted. It looks to me that the only option you have right now is to try to get an interim license as the poster in this thread had done while waiting for his/her PR card:

vancitychris said:
Howdy I can answer this, been through it myself.

ICBC will give a temporary paper license when you show valid government ID along with COPR, however they will put an immigration hold on a card being issued until you have a PR card. the paper licenses only have validity for at max a few months at a time so you may be going back for another before the PR card arrives.

- I have been in BC since 2012 on Work permits and landed as a PR in October.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/can-i-get-a-bc-drivers-licence-without-pr-card-but-have-landed-t384877.0.html
At least that way, you can start driving in BC without worry. After you get PR card, you may then come back for the actual license.

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
meyakanor said:
I know for sure that in Ontario, you could have just presented your foreign passport and your Alaska license, and they would swap it with the Ontario one.

In BC, however, apparently you'd need to prove your immigration status, and unfortunately, they were being very explicit that IMM5292 or IMM5688 would not be accepted. It looks to me that the only option you have right now is to try to get an interim license as the poster in this thread had done while waiting for his/her PR card:

At least that way, you can start driving in BC without worry. After you get PR card, you may then come back for the actual license.
Thank you for the confirmation :D. I've been in BC just over 6 months now (valid implied visitor status), so I can't legally drive here right now. It'll be nice to know that I can get an interim license after I land for when I do need to use it. At least I won't have to go through the hassle of getting a full driver's license from scratch, since they allow licenses from the states to be swapped.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Can you easily get an international license? I'm not an expert, but in the UK I believe it's just a matter of paying (a friend did this) and it's good in Canada for 12 months I believe, more than enough time for the PR card to arrive :)