+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Track your PR card timeline and processing times here

MySky

Star Member
Sep 3, 2014
112
2
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am curious about this scenario in light of the long PR card processing time. What do you think would happen if a new permanent resident who doesn't need a visa to enter Canada or has a study/work visa sticker in their passport left Canada and returned by plane not carrying the PR card? Wouldn't the border officer eventually let them in by examining the proof of landing?
 

sheen

Hero Member
Aug 19, 2010
223
27
maplcard@home said:
Thanks for starting this.

Here is my timeline:

AOR: Aug 4
PPR: Dec24
Landing: Jan14

The current new PR card processing time is 100 days. I booked ticket to go back to home country on May 6th, I am a bit worried.

Hi
Hi there,

I have a question for you, did you do your landing via US? If yes, did you applied for US visa first or you did it without the visa?
 

sheen

Hero Member
Aug 19, 2010
223
27
Hi,

I received my CoPR yesterday. On the letter it says if i reside in Canada, there are 2 ways to apply for PR card.

First, Call CIC and fix an appointment
Second, obviously do the landing and then apply for PR Card.

I didn't understand the first option. By Calling CIC and booking an appointment i don't need to do the landing or i still have to do that?
 

Scottygirl

Hero Member
Jan 19, 2016
458
28
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-12-2015
Doc's Request.
23-12-2015
AOR Received.
14-12-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront (passed Dec 15 2015)
Passport Req..
05-05-2016 (sent 06-05-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2016
LANDED..........
15-07-2016
MySky said:
I am curious about this scenario in light of the long PR card processing time. What do you think would happen if a new permanent resident who doesn't need a visa to enter Canada or has a study/work visa sticker in their passport left Canada and returned by plane not carrying the PR card? Wouldn't the border officer eventually let them in by examining the proof of landing?
The problem isn't the border officer, the problem is if the airline would allow you to board the plane. You can apply for a permanent resident travel document if you want/need to travel before you get your card.
 

Scottygirl

Hero Member
Jan 19, 2016
458
28
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-12-2015
Doc's Request.
23-12-2015
AOR Received.
14-12-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront (passed Dec 15 2015)
Passport Req..
05-05-2016 (sent 06-05-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2016
LANDED..........
15-07-2016
sheen said:
Hi,

I received my CoPR yesterday. On the letter it says if i reside in Canada, there are 2 ways to apply for PR card.

First, Call CIC and fix an appointment
Second, obviously do the landing and then apply for PR Card.

I didn't understand the first option. By Calling CIC and booking an appointment i don't need to do the landing or i still have to do that?
You phone to book an appointment with a local CIC office and they effectively process your 'landing'. I have heard, however, that there may be a bit of a wait for an appointment which is why people flagpole.
 

sheen

Hero Member
Aug 19, 2010
223
27
Scottygirl said:
You phone to book an appointment with a local CIC office and they effectively process your 'landing'. I have heard, however, that there may be a bit of a wait for an appointment which is why people flagpole.
oh okay, so if i am understanding correct, i book an appointment with them, they process my landing and then there is wait of 3-4 months to receive my PR Card?

If i decide to do my landing via US Border, do i need US visa or can i just cross the border and come back?

Thanks for your help :)
 

Scottygirl

Hero Member
Jan 19, 2016
458
28
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-12-2015
Doc's Request.
23-12-2015
AOR Received.
14-12-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront (passed Dec 15 2015)
Passport Req..
05-05-2016 (sent 06-05-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
12-05-2016
LANDED..........
15-07-2016
sheen said:
oh okay, so if i am understanding correct, i book an appointment with them, they process my landing and then there is wait of 3-4 months to receive my PR Card?

If i decide to do my landing via US Border, do i need US visa or can i just cross the border and come back?

Thanks for your help :)
Correct - think the current time for PR card processing is around 100 days

If you want to do flagpoling, you just head to the border, explain to the US border officials that you are confirming your PR status. They will give you a note that is effectively a refusal of entry, however, it does not appear on any future immigration records. You then return to the Canadian border building and they will process your landing.
 

chantal111

Star Member
Jan 8, 2015
199
8
sheen said:
oh okay, so if i am understanding correct, i book an appointment with them, they process my landing and then there is wait of 3-4 months to receive my PR Card?

If i decide to do my landing via US Border, do i need US visa or can i just cross the border and come back?

Thanks for your help :)
No need for US visa. U just tell the US officer that u want to flagpole and that's it. I did that and there was not any problem.
 

Hansdza

Hero Member
Mar 7, 2013
400
19
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
105 days eh? I still dont get it what makes it so long? Are they printing gazillions of cards or what. Everything is already recorded in the computer database. What justifies this frigging 105 days? Scratching my forehead..
 

MySky

Star Member
Sep 3, 2014
112
2
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Scottygirl said:
The problem isn't the border officer, the problem is if the airline would allow you to board the plane. You can apply for a permanent resident travel document if you want/need to travel before you get your card.
Thanks, and fair enough. But if the person is holder of a passport with no visa requirement for visiting Canada, or has a study/work sticker visa which has not expired yet, boarding a plane should not be an issue.
 

Intezaar

Member
May 26, 2015
17
3
MySky said:
Thanks, and fair enough. But if the person is holder of a passport with no visa requirement for visiting Canada, or has a study/work sticker visa which has not expired yet, boarding a plane should not be an issue.
Half of your info in correct is and half incorrect. If you have a passport from a country with no visa requirements you can definitely arrive and leave at anytime. But if you have student or work visa attached still you can't enter Canada without PR card. Once you become PR your study or work status expires. You cannot have 2 statuses at the same time. Hence your only status is landed immigrant for which you need PR card or travel document to enter unless you are from visa exempt country.
 

MySky

Star Member
Sep 3, 2014
112
2
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Intezaar said:
Half of your info in correct is and half incorrect. If you have a passport from a country with no visa requirements you can definitely arrive and leave at anytime. But if you have student or work visa attached still you can't enter Canada without PR card. Once you become PR your study or work status expires. You cannot have 2 statuses at the same time. Hence your only status is landed immigrant for which you need PR card or travel document to enter unless you are from visa exempt country.
Thanks Intezaar. Well, if we were to go by that logic, someone from a visa exempt country would also be on a 'visitor' status and would not be able to enter on that status (without showing the PR card) when s/he comes back as a PR.

I was reading about applying for a travel document abroad, but it seems like it would take some time to finalize (though I didn't find any processing time) and you'd need to submit the passport and a couple of different forms. If I wanted to go on a short trip for only a week or so, I don't think I can apply and receive this document in time before my flight back. The way I understand it, it is only practical for those who 'live' outside Canada and have some time to spare lodging the application and waiting for the decision. I am still not sure what should be done in case of a short trip (and who wants to spend time at the embassy when visiting for a short period any way!).