+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Toward Understanding Bill C-6 to Amend Citizenship Act; new 3/5 rule plus

DND

Star Member
Oct 20, 2014
tiarachel85 said:
Whats difference between date to be determined by the Governor in Council and date of royal assent?

Last time the bil-C24 became law in June 2014 (got royal assent)
but some provisions became effective only a year after (date determined by the Governor in Council)

to try to manage the expected backlog they probably can start certain changes only at a specific dates

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
dpenabill said:
Bill C-6 to Amend Citizenship Act; New 3 / 5 rule and campaign promises kept, and understanding what changes are proposed:

There have been several topics about what changes the Liberal government should make to the Citizenship Act, mostly focused on rolling back or outright repealing some, much, or even all of the changes that were implemented by the SCCA (Bill C-24).

Now that Minister McCallum has formally tabled Bill C-6 (An Act to Amend the Citizenship Act), the proposed revisions are very specific.

This proposed legislation is far, far more extensive than I anticipated, and the text of Bill C-6 only became available online barely an hour or so ago. Amending legislation is not easily read and understood. There were many elements in Bill C-24 which remained somewhat unclear even after it was adopted and parts were actually implemented. And some important consequences were still just becoming apparent some two years after that Bill was formally tabled (February 2014).

Thus, there is still a great deal to digest, to sort out, to try to understand in context.

Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship (IRCC) has, as would be typical, provided backgrounder information, which so far consists of both an Overview of the proposed changes (this should link) and a more detailed Comparative view of the proposed amendments (this too should link).

The text of Bill C-6 itself is now available online at the Current Bills page for the Parliament of Canada (this too should link) -- follow link for Bill C-6 and then in upper right corner of that page there is a dropdown link for published versions of the Bill.

My view is that it would be helpful to engage in a separate discussion focused on what this legislation actually means, understanding what effect it will have, what actual provisions are affected and how, and related matters such as proposed date for the coming into force date for particular provisions.

So I am starting a separate topic for that discussion, toward understanding what is proposed, not about whether this or that is good or bad, should this or that not be done, or this or that be done in addition, not about political or ideological opinions.

But, rather, focused on simply understanding what the changes are and what they will mean.

There is much to talk about. As I noted, the scope of this proposed legislation goes well beyond what I saw anyone predicting, way beyond what I anticipated.

It warrants noting that while overall the changes reflect an ideology and approach which is very much Liberal, there are some changes which impose tougher rules. Most notably is the proposed amendment to include Conditional sentencing as both a prohibition and as time to be excluded from the calculation of physical presence. This is one of those changes which I do not fully understand as yet, wondering if this will include conditional discharges, that is, cases in which a person is charged with an offence, the Crown apprehends it is minor enough or the evidence weak enough to allow the charges to be totally dismissed after a conditional period of time. We see many queries about such cases in the anecdotal reports in this and other forums. Many of these evolve out of a domestic argument which involved law enforcement and the arrest of one of the persons involved, and while the Crown is not willing to dismiss the charges outright, the Crown gives the accused a deal which will dismiss the charges after the conditional period is completed (typically including conditions like no further charges). If this change covers these cases, a large number of individuals will be detrimentally affected.

In any event, again, there is much to digest.

Key resources for now, again, are:

Bill C-6 itself: the text of Bill C-6 (this should link)

Overview of prosed changes:
Overview of the proposed changes (this should link)

A more detailed comparative analysis of the proposed changes:
Comparative view of the proposed amendments (this should link)

Cautionary note: as has been observed in other topics, the Senate continues to be controlled by Conservatives, dominated by Conservatives appointed by Stephen Harper. While it would be unusual for the Senate to outright preclude legislation approved by the House of Commons, it has happened. This legislation is profoundly liberal in many respects and is bound to rile the opposition, potentially inciting more than merely the gnashing of teeth. I have little idea to what extent this might result in a fight which goes to the level of Senate obstructionism, but for now that possibility cannot be casually dismissed.

How does it feel to spend so much time analyzing the implications of Bill C24, only to now have to turn around and address another piece of potential legislation? Should immigrants feel like they are being batting around like a political football? I guess as they say, elections have consequences. 8)

There appears to be nothing in the bill to address the procedural issues involving rights of applicants to appeal?

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
links18 said:
....or the Liberals could actually anticipate the influx of applications and staff IRCC/CIC accordingly?
Actually, we can scrutinize the budget they drafted to see how much money will be allocated for IRCC operations.

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
DND said:
Any liberal promise was about reducing citizenship processing times?
The top priority regarding the processing times expressed by the Liberals are only towards the sponsorship applications regarding family reunifications.

The big promises about cutting the citizenship processing times were from the Conservatives.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
DND said:
Any liberal promise was about reducing citizenship processing times?
You can't expect the processing time to be reduced with the new liberal rules to be reduced. You would expect the processing time to increase with a lot of applicants submitting their applications under the 3 / 5 year. No wonder the liberal didn't include reducing processing time under this proposed new changed. They knew that CIC is going to get swamped under the new change. They can't possibly expect the processing time to reduce under their new change.

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
links18 said:
How does it feel to spend so much time analyzing the implications of Bill C24, only to now have to turn around and address another piece of potential legislation? Should immigrants feel like they are being batting around like a political football? I guess as they say, elections have consequences. 8)

There appears to be nothing in the bill to address the procedural issues involving rights of applicants to appeal?
Yes, I remember telling him that the changes will be introduced by the Spring and he replied that it will take years to just bring back pre-landing credit. So much for long reads. Regardless, this is how Mr. McCallum rolls. Hopefully, he has other aces in his sleeve to streamline processing and increase his departmental workforce.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
With the current law, I was expecting a fast processing time when my wife applies. Now with this the new change, my wife's citizenship processing time will now be a lot longer than the current 4/6 rule, due to more applications / backlog. Thanks a lot Trudeau.

jakifamily

Mar 10, 2015
I checked and saw that a conditional sentence may include house arrest ( but is a conviction), while a conditional discharge is not a conviction.

DND

Star Member
Oct 20, 2014
Diplomatru said:
Actually, we can scrutinize the budget they drafted to see how much money will be allocated for IRCC operations.
Where can we read the budget draft?

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
screech339 said:
With the current law, I was expecting a fast processing time when my wife applies. Now with this the new change, my wife's citizenship processing time will now be a lot longer than the current 4/6 rule, due to more applications / backlog. Thanks a lot Trudeau.
This is my biggest concern also. If this Bill become fully effective with the expected massive amount of applications my best guess is that we will go back to the 24-36 months processing timelines for routine applications.

IRCC will be almost blocked . Many people who are happy now don't realize that all of us will suffer by the long processing timelines.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
screech339 said:
I thought you mentioned a few times (in support of the 4/6 rule) that your wife didn't mind the long waiting since she's going to stay in Canada either way, so everything should be fine with her

DND

Star Member
Oct 20, 2014
Diplomatru said:
Yes, I remember telling him that the changes will be introduced by the Spring and he replied that it will take years to just bring back pre-landing credit. So much for long reads. Regardless, this is how Mr. McCallum rolls. Hopefully, he has other aces in his sleeve to streamline processing and increase his departmental workforce.

Does he actually want to streamline the processing of citizenship?

So far he was talking about making family unification faster, but nothing about citizenship processing times. This is not an actual issue for voters

The repealing citizenship/intent to reside was an actual issue. so they are going to take care of that

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
itsmyid said:
I thought you mentioned a few times (in support of the 4/6 rule) that your wife didn't mind the long waiting since she's going to stay in Canada either way, so everything should be fine with her
Yes. 4 years to qualify plus 1 year processing time. Not 3 years plus 2 or more years processing time. I expect the processing time to be reasonable since you paid for the service. I am not going to expect 1 year processing time under the new 3/5 year rule. Is not going to happen.