+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Toward Understanding Bill C-6 to Amend Citizenship Act; new 3/5 rule plus

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DND said:
Does he actually want to streamline the processing of citizenship?

So far he was talking about making family unification faster, but nothing about citizenship processing times. This is not an actual issue for voters

The repealing citizenship/intent to reside was an actual issue. so they are going to take care of that
I respectfully disagree.

Their platform entails improvement of quality of service delivery in immigration.

We will establish new performance standards for federal services.

Busy Canadians deserve better service from their government. We will establish new performance standards, including streamlining applications, reducing wait times, and offering money-back guarantees.

Performance will be independently assessed and publicly reported. We will start with the services hardest hit by years of cuts by Stephen Harper: Employment Insurance, veterans’ services, immigration, and EI and CPP appeals.

We will also ensure that all federal services are delivered in full compliance with the Official Languages Act.

DND

Star Member
Oct 20, 2014
Politren said:
This is my biggest concern also. If this Bill become fully effective with the expected massive amount of applications my best guess is that we will go back to the 24-36 months processing timelines for routine applications.

IRCC will be almost blocked . Many people who are happy now don't realize that all of us will suffer by the long processing timelines.

I do hope that it will take time for this law to become law, and even then I hope they will take time for the effective date to begin
A good effective date will be sometime December-2016, as this date will allow all people delayed by C-24 to apply first by 4/6 rules without being blocked by new 3/5 applicants (not many people are arriving to live permanently in Canada in the winter months)

DND

Star Member
Oct 20, 2014
screech339 said:
Yes. 4 years to qualify plus 1 year processing time. Not 3 years plus 2 or more years processing time. I expect the processing time to be reasonable since you paid for the service. I am not going to expect 1 year processing time under the new 3/5 year rule. Is not going to happen.

Is the proposed change returns the decision making to older process (3 decision makers)?

DND

Star Member
Oct 20, 2014
Playtrix said:
This is not happening overnight. It might take up to a year.

In order for a bill to become a law, it must go through a number of specific stages in both the Senate and the House of Commons. The process in each Chamber is similar.

House of Commons
Introduction and First Reading: The bill is introduced after notice is given; it is then assigned a number and printed.
Second Reading: The principle of the bill is debated and the bill is referred to a committee for more detailed study. (In the House of Commons, it is possible to refer a bill to committee prior to second reading pursuant to Standing Order 73.)
Committee Consideration: After a detailed analysis of the bill, often involving the hearing of witnesses, and a clause-by-clause study, the committee reports the bill back to the House of Commons.
Report Stage: The bill, as passed by the committee, is considered by the House and further amendments can be proposed and debated.
Third Reading: The bill, as adopted at the report stage, is debated a final time. Debate focuses on the final form of the bill.
Passage and Royal Assent: If the bill originated in the House of Commons and is passed at the third reading stage, it is sent to the Senate where it will follow the process described below. If the bill originated in the Senate and has been passed by both chambers in the same form, it is presented for Royal Assent.
Senate
Introduction and First Reading: The bill is introduced without notice, given a number and printed.
Second Reading: The principle of the bill is debated at second reading and, if it passes, the bill is almost always referred to a committee for more detailed study. (In the Senate, it is possible for a committee to study the subject matter of a bill introduced in the House of Commons prior to introduction in the Senate, pursuant to Rule 74 of the Rules of the Senate. This is referred to as pre-study. The Senate may also refer the subject matter of a bill to a committee before the bill has received second reading.)
Committee Stage: The committee studies the bill and reports it back to the Senate.
Report Stage: The Senate only considers a bill at report stage if the committee either recommends amendments or that the bill not be further studied. Committee reports on bills that do not propose amendments are deemed adopted by the Senate without a motion.
Third Reading: The bill, as amended by the Senate or not, is debated a third time. Debate focuses on the final form of the bill, although amendments to clauses of the bill can also be moved at this stage without the need to return it to committee.
Passage and Royal Assent: If the bill originated in the Senate and is passed, it is then sent to the House of Commons where it follows the process described above. If the bill originated in the House of Commons and has been passed by both chambers in the same form, it is presented for Royal Assent.
If either the Senate or the House of Commons amends a bill already passed by the other House, there is an exchange of messages indicating the amendment. Until both Houses agree on the content of the bill, it cannot be presented for Royal Assent.
Under the new 3/5 rule are tax return still required?
I mean tax returns for the 3 years one in Canada?

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
DND said:
Under the new 3/5 rule are tax return still required?
I mean tax returns for the 3 years one in Canada?
(4) Subparagraph 5(1)‍(c)‍(iii) of the Act is replaced by the following:

(iii) met any applicable requirement under the Income Tax Act to file a return of income in respect of three taxation years that are fully or partially within the five years immediately before the date of his or her application;

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
DND said:
I do hope that it will take time for this law to become law, and even then I hope they will take time for the effective date to begin
A good effective date will be sometime December-2016, as this date will allow all people delayed by C-24 to apply first by 4/6 rules without being blocked by new 3/5 applicants (not many people are arriving to live permanently in Canada in the winter months)
The only realistic hope for a delay is when this Bill goes at the Senate stage, if the Senate approves it before the summer break its will be very possible this Bill in the major part to be fully enforced before the summer break this year.

tiarachel85

Champion Member
Jun 27, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It will be so unfair to applicants who fall or will fall under 4/6 rule. Just because of their political game they have to suffer

DND

Star Member
Oct 20, 2014
Politren said:
The only realistic hope for a delay is when this Bill goes at the Senate stage, if the Senate approves it before the summer break its will be very possible this Bill in the major part to be fully enforced before the summer break this year.

What is the rush for the Liberal party to introduce it as fast as possible?
This is part of their platform, but it doesn't really have to happen quick

+ There seems to be an intention to split the implementation to 2 dates
The really important issues to start at Royal Assent and the less important issue + problematic from implementation point of view at different date

To me it makes sense that they will act carefully on the coming into force date to avoid future backlog (which will be a political problem). The second date is probably proposed so that the CIC will have time to prepare for influx of applications

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
DND said:
It is good then. means faster processing times
Currently it is a faster processing time under the 4/6 rule due to a reasonable number of applications reaching CIC at a daily basis. Now by the time my wife qualifies under the 4/6 rule, 3/5 rule probably kick in. Her application will be among the thousands of applications submitted under the 3/5 rule as well as those who applied under 4/6 rule. CIC will not be able to handle the thousand and thousand of applications hitting their door. It would be worst than the PGP application volume. This will obviously create a backlog as they have to clear them first before going back on the 4/6 rule applications. Again thanks a lot Trudeau. I guess liberals don't know the meaning of efficiency.

zoya_99

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2015
screech339 said:
Currently it is a faster processing time under the 4/6 rule due to a reasonable number of applications reaching CIC at a daily basis. Now by the time my wife qualifies under the 4/6 rule, 3/5 rule probably kick in. Her application will be among the thousands of applications submitted under the 3/5 rule as well as those who applied under 4/6 rule. CIC will not be able to handle the thousand and thousand of applications hitting their door. It would be worst than the PGP application volume. This will obviously create a backlog as they have to clear them first before going back on the 4/6 rule applications. Again thanks a lot Trudeau. I guess liberals don't know the meaning of efficiency.
I agree. They seems to be focusing on every thing other than economy.

DND

Star Member
Oct 20, 2014
screech339 said:
When is your wife applying?

The backlog right now is because of processing the older applications. I hear applicants from March-2015 are now receiving citizenship. Once the March-June 2015 is processed the only thing left is 4/6 rule applicants which are not numerous right now. Many new 4/6 applicants will become eligible again starting June-2016 (like myself)

So if this new rule is not in effect yet. I really hope to apply and get the citizenship in a few months time (the Queue should be cleared by that time)

Compare it with what happens to PGP. There is initial backlog from years ago. But once this backlog is cleared all the new applicants (5K per year) will be processed very quickly (effectively making PGP-2015 applicants processing times 2 years faster on average than PGP-2013 applicants)

Now. The liberals can rush with the new law and potentially make it law by Canada Day 2016. Then experience a flood of ~200K applicants in a motter of weeks, but why do it? wouldn't it be better to set the effective date in some later time, and maybe gradual. For instance allowing the pre-PR time before or after the 3/5 rule change?

DND

Star Member
Oct 20, 2014
zoya_99 said:
I agree. They seems to be focusing on every thing other than economy.
Focus on economy as well - read about the expected deficit, and this was too part of their campaign ...