+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Toronto- no jobs, no pr for international students

Aug 7, 2014
Josh, if you will see the jobs majority of Indian students are doing, you will never say what you said. Now I know that Toronto has very few jobs compared to the people it has.

I will not recommend anyone to study and stay in Toronto. Moving to Alberta is the best option. I have got to know Vancouver doesn't have jobs either so B.C. is a strict no.

And, Manitoba can be another option.

sikanderv

Star Member
Jun 5, 2011
Hyderabad
Category........
Visa Office......
Hyderabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-07-2014
IELTS Request
8 overall (R9 L8.5 S7.5 W7)
File Transfer...
25-07-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-06-2014
Passport Req..
With application
VISA ISSUED...
21-08-2014
LANDED..........
Yet to decide
Victim of Toronto said:
Lucifer, it's not only me. Most of my friends worked $6 in a hour as we got good hours and free accommodation. Those who left this job, got either 10.50 or 11 $, earned less than us coz they got 20 hours per week only. But, it wasn't worth.

Our community pays very less, the respite is they give more hours.
Sorry to hear about your sad story, bro. By our community, do you mean "Indian" community? How many hours did you put in to your work in a week?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Victim of Toronto said:
Josh, if you will see the jobs majority of Indian students are doing, you will never say what you said. Now I know that Toronto has very few jobs compared to the people it has.

I will not recommend anyone to study and stay in Toronto. Moving to Alberta is the best option. I have got to know Vancouver doesn't have jobs either so B.C. is a strict no.

And, Manitoba can be another option.
The problem is that you chose to go to college rather than university. As I've said many times here, diplomas and post graduate diplomas have very low value to employers. I know several Indian students who have been very successful in Toronto. But they all came here and did MBAs.

Aug 7, 2014
U might be right Scylla. You see, more students come on Diploma and Post Graduate Diplomas only. It's easy to get admissions and visas. University admissions are for bright students only. Now, since I suffered badly and have seen sufferings of my friends and other students in Toronto, I am sure it's better to go to small cities which are small and have jobs. I am thinking to move to Alberta, how easy it would be to get job and pr from there. Anybody, please answer.

Ryan1981

Jul 27, 2014
Sorry to hear about you. You are right, I know many many students who suffer badly in Toronto. And, the PR options after graduating from Ontario colleges is real tough. I wish you all the best, I hope from Victim of Toronto you soon become King of ______ (wherever you go). Again, all the best, take care.

Arianne*

Jul 29, 2014
Victim of Toronto said:
You see, more students come on Diploma and Post Graduate Diplomas only. It's easy to get admissions and visas. University admissions are for bright students only.
The problem is not Toronto, the problem is that you took the path of least resistance.

I am amazed at how many prospective students on this forum keep asking how they can obtain a spot at the cheapest colleges where they do not need high English language proficiency, while not considering the consequences of their decisions. Foreign grads from the CCCs who don't speak English well are a dime a dozen and employers in Toronto have the luxury of holding out for better candidates.

Although George Brown is actually one of the better colleges in Canada, it is still only a college and not a university. I know many foreign graduates who have excellent jobs in Toronto. However, ALL of them went to good universities and speak excellent English.

Ryan1981

Jul 27, 2014
I agree Arian, you are right. But, does that mean that average students do not stand a chance to build their dream careers in Canada. Here, I do not agree and will like to throw some light on the statistics and facts which one cannot and should not ignore.

The unemployment rate in Toronto is 8.9% which is above the 7.0 national unemployment rate.
There are places in Canada with a 0% employment rate. That means if one is not a high school graduate, will find a decent job easily.

So, to sum up, Toronto is good if you want to study in a university or you are a very bright student, otherwise, my advise is to find the unemployment rate of the city before you make the decision about the college and the program.

On top of it, if you are financially sound, nothing matters as no body can deny that George Brown College or other Toronto public colleges offer quality education.

Arianne*

Jul 29, 2014
Sure there are many small towns that only have frictional unemployment where it is very easy to find a job, however, you couldn't pay me enough to move to most of them. Furthermore, how many students dream of dead-end jobs in the middle of nowhere? What happens when the economy cools down and stops producing an ever increasing number of jobs to employ all the foreign grads that the colleges keep churning out?

More importantly, mediocre students can also get into the good schools. It just takes much more work and preparation. Admission to Canadian universities is not solely based on grades. Prospective students who are willing to take the time and make the effort to learn about the different programmes offered and find one to match their skills and interests can (and do) get accepted into good universities.

On the other hand, the lazy students who are only interested in cheaps schools with low admission standards do not have as many options.

Let's be honest, George Brown really is one of the better colleges. However, there are many overpriced colleges who seem to exist only to provide a conduit for foreign students to the Canadian labour market via PGWPP. Neither the colleges nor the students seem very interested in the quality of education and Canadian employers are aware of this.

How many foreign college grads do you know in management positions in large corporations?

Aug 7, 2014
Ariane, do you know the condition of students in Toronto those who are in the colleges? You seem to be talking too unrealistic. There are hundreds of students like me who have come to Toronto colleges and have no idea what to do once graduated from the college. And, the PR options become really tough.

If I had been so bright, I would have stayed in India doing my education from IIT &IIM. I have come to the forum not to listen to people who are here to blame but listen to those who have some ideas to guide me. You are completely misusing the forum.

fahad123

Sep 27, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Victim of Toronto sad to hear about your story. Your post will help many future students.
Guys throw some light on City of Saskatoon and Saskatchewan as i am going to start my classes at University of Saskatchewan.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
i agree with Arianne* problem is college education ...its a ponzi scheme everyone makes money ...the college that admits students, the consultant who forces students to go to that college, CIC (not much but some) , the province where international student goes. only person who loses is the student who doesnt get a job. Colleges r good at marketing that attract international students who pay way more than local canadians . Colleges and agents r minting money....they dont care about the students. I am sorry for u Victim of Toronto but ur not a victim of toronto but ur a victim of consultant and college ......u think there r better jobs in other cities ...well u will be mistaken situation overall is similar. Consultants give false hope and make people go to these colleges instead of university. blame ur consultant and college .

Enoch singapore

Star Member
Jun 9, 2014
Dear victim of Toronto.

everything is possible with perseverance. According to me in developed countries everyone or students can get a best job when time comes. As for me when I was student in Singapore. It is the worst country for international students where students not allowed to involve in any kind of work or extra earnings and Toronto or Canada is still much better where students have all rights for work during study or after.

Besides such an hardrule over here in Singapore ,I had worked as dishwasher and manage all expenses.

And Now with time everything gets change as now I m working as A Market research analyst in sweedish firm and have descent income.

Keep your hardwork on one day u will get citizenship also .pr and job is not a big deal...

lucifer_2510

May 27, 2014
Kolkata
Category........
Visa Office......
Kolkata
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2014
Doc's Request.
Medical Upfront
IELTS Request
7.5 Bands
File Transfer...
01-08-2014
Med's Request
11-07-2014
Med's Done....
11-07-2014
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
31-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-08-2014
LANDED..........
21-08-2014
Enoch singapore said:
Dear victim of Toronto.

everything is possible with perseverance. According to me in developed countries everyone or students can get a best job when time comes. As for me when I was student in Singapore. It is the worst country for international students where students not allowed to involve in any kind of work or extra earnings and Toronto or Canada is still much better where students have all rights for work during study or after.

Besides such an hardrule over here in Singapore ,I had worked as dishwasher and manage all expenses.

And Now with time everything gets change as now I m working as A Market research analyst in sweedish firm and have descent income.

Keep your hardwork on one day u will get citizenship also .pr and job is not a big deal...

u give positive vibes brother :)

Ryan1981

Jul 27, 2014
Hi Victim of Toronto, I consider the following solution might work for you:

You pick up few cities in Alberta like Calgary, Edmonton & Grand Prairie and start searching jobs. It will not be so difficult to find jobs in any of these cities. And, then with some kind of job assurance or after fixing some interviews, move there. It's a matter of 15 days and you'll be good. And, then file for PNP there.

Aug 7, 2014
Thank you. That's what I am trying to do. Alberta will be my destination. Ryan, I am so happy that I came to this forum. That I could get someone who understands students. Otherwise, I don't know why some of these people were just discouraging me as if I have done a crime by not going to the university and by going to a college. Whether these people understand that everybody cannot come to the university.