+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

To move or not move now?

winterdiva

Dec 18, 2017
London
AOR Received.
04-08-2018
We soft-landed in May 2019 and got our PR cards. Returned to the UK, sold our house and prepared to move in Apr 2020. Then Covid happened. We are still stuck here. We have to move by May2022 to keep our PR status (2/5 yrs residency). Although I am "allowed" to enter Canada as a PR, there are notices everywhere saying "avoid international travel". What do we do now? Move now or wait until this covid thing settles down? I don't want to move in Winter due to various reasons.

I have health conditions that puts me at higher risk for covid complications. I'm looking for advice please. Thank you.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
We soft-landed in May 2019 and got our PR cards. Returned to the UK, sold our house and prepared to move in Apr 2020. Then Covid happened. We are still stuck here. We have to move by May2022 to keep our PR status (2/5 yrs residency). Although I am "allowed" to enter Canada as a PR, there are notices everywhere saying "avoid international travel". What do we do now? Move now or wait until this covid thing settles down? I don't want to move in Winter due to various reasons.

I have health conditions that puts me at higher risk for covid complications. I'm looking for advice please. Thank you.
I'm afraid it's a personal choice on which the final decision is up to you, and there are too many individual factors involved. Most of all how committed you are to moving to Canada. Or perhaps your health conditions first. Not all that much outsiders can tell you about moving.

As a bit of input, the vaccination rates in Canada have improved dramatically in the last 30-60 days, and on a quite fast pace. I expect that the mass vaccination phase will be what one could call something like complete by between end-July and end-August - at least to a level of say 60-70% of population vaccinated. New cases have fallen fairly dramatically too. So at least in one sense, it's hard to say that the UK is much safer (with respect to covid) than Canada (deaths are now low in both countries and new cases much lower in Canada - so at least the vaccine in UK is reducing severity but it's still there). Note, I'm not an expert on covid though, so personal opinion only. Perhaps consult your doctor.

So I guess you can watch how things proceed. If stable and trending down, apart from whatever additional issus with travelling itself, perhaps the risk balance is acceptable. At least perhaps by the end-summer timeframe you seem to be considering.

Note that while the Canadian government is advising against travelling generally, it has never banned outright and tried to limit to 'essential.' Moving to Canada is considered essential (at least for family sponsorship has been throughout). So while discouraging travel, and making it more difficult to reduce the amount of travel, the choice has been and is up to you. (Obviously if you expect that if you need to travel a lot after arriving, that's different risk than moving to Canada and remaining).

Reactions: YVR123

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You could have come anytime between April 2020 and now. It's your personal choice not to travel during covid. In fact, lots of people travels.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
One additional point - if you delay returning until later, you will not have much buffer to travel while remaining in compliance with your ro.

winterdiva

Dec 18, 2017
London
AOR Received.
04-08-2018
You could have come anytime between April 2020 and now. It's your personal choice not to travel during covid. In fact, lots of people travels.
It was not a choice unfortunately. You don't know my circumstances so your comment is highly inappropriate and unhelpful.

winterdiva

Dec 18, 2017
London
AOR Received.
04-08-2018
I'm afraid it's a personal choice on which the final decision is up to you, and there are too many individual factors involved. Most of all how committed you are to moving to Canada. Or perhaps your health conditions first. Not all that much outsiders can tell you about moving.

As a bit of input, the vaccination rates in Canada have improved dramatically in the last 30-60 days, and on a quite fast pace. I expect that the mass vaccination phase will be what one could call something like complete by between end-July and end-August - at least to a level of say 60-70% of population vaccinated. New cases have fallen fairly dramatically too. So at least in one sense, it's hard to say that the UK is much safer (with respect to covid) than Canada (deaths are now low in both countries and new cases much lower in Canada - so at least the vaccine in UK is reducing severity but it's still there). Note, I'm not an expert on covid though, so personal opinion only. Perhaps consult your doctor.

So I guess you can watch how things proceed. If stable and trending down, apart from whatever additional issus with travelling itself, perhaps the risk balance is acceptable. At least perhaps by the end-summer timeframe you seem to be considering.

Note that while the Canadian government is advising against travelling generally, it has never banned outright and tried to limit to 'essential.' Moving to Canada is considered essential (at least for family sponsorship has been throughout). So while discouraging travel, and making it more difficult to reduce the amount of travel, the choice has been and is up to you. (Obviously if you expect that if you need to travel a lot after arriving, that's different risk than moving to Canada and remaining).
Thank you for your inputs. We have now decided to move next month. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: YVR123 and armoured

winterdiva

Dec 18, 2017
London
AOR Received.
04-08-2018
One additional point - if you delay returning until later, you will not have much buffer to travel while remaining in compliance with your ro.
This is absolutely a huge concern for us as we have family in India, UK and USA. We have to move this summer or forget about it. Looks like we'll move!

Reactions: armoured

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It was not a choice unfortunately. You don't know my circumstances so your comment is highly inappropriate and unhelpful.
Yes, it is your choice not to travel between the dates. Like it or not, I know many people from the UK travel during this time.

winterdiva

Dec 18, 2017
London
AOR Received.
04-08-2018
Yes, it is your choice not to travel between the dates. Like it or not, I know many people from the UK travel during this time.
do you not understand that everyone’s circumstances are unique? You even think some people are poor by choice - don’t you? You sound really thick! Are you on the forum only to annoy people? If you have nothing to contribute, why won’t you just shut up?
Please don’t respond on my thread again. I don’t need your judgemental shit or your useless opinions.

Reactions: Shmiler

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I don't even understand why this is relevant. The OP is still in compliance. There's no issue at this point and it seems won't be until May of next year.

aioriags

Aug 9, 2020
I don't even understand why this is relevant. The OP is still in compliance. There's no issue at this point and it seems won't be until May of next year.
I think what he's trying to say is that ultimately it is the OP's choice. He's trying to ask a medical question on an immigration forum and really it is only up to him if he wants to travel or not.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
do you not understand that everyone’s circumstances are unique? You even think some people are poor by choice - don’t you? You sound really thick! Are you on the forum only to annoy people? If you have nothing to contribute, why won’t you just shut up?
Please don’t respond on my thread again. I don’t need your judgemental shit or your useless opinions.
Yikes, tad salty
Didn’t take you too long to go off the proverbial rails
Well at least you picked the right profile name
Diva indeed

Last edited:
Reactions: steaky

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do you understand people travels during covid? I don't think covid will be over next month. But it is still your choice to travel next month. Diva indeed.

@armoured: How can one get stuck in the UK when many people from the UK travels during covid? Why OP considered moving this summer rather than May of next year?

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
@armoured: How can one get stuck in the UK when many people from the UK travels during covid? Why OP considered moving this summer rather than May of next year?
Why does it matter whether the OP got stuck or didn't wish to travel because of covid or had a pachinko addiction?

Still in compliance with RO, doesn't have to justify it to anyone.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why does it matter whether the OP got stuck or didn't wish to travel because of covid or had a pachinko addiction?

Still in compliance with RO, doesn't have to justify it to anyone.
No, but she said they were stuck in her first post if you didm't realised.