+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

To get immigration consultant or not?

PaoM

Nov 29, 2020
Hi,

Planning on sponsoring my wife for PR and be with me here in BC. Im wondering is it worth it to get the services of an immigration consultant? Did a google search roughly it will cost 4000-5000CAD. Did you apply by yourself or with a consultant? I would love to hear your thoughts.

charliem

Jul 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2013
Doc's Request.
17-10-2013
AOR Received.
18-10-2013
File Transfer...
March 2014
Med's Request
March 2, 2015. AIP received same day
Med's Done....
March 3, 2015.
Interview........
"Decision made": 1 April 2015
I applied on my own (the spouse to be sponsored). If there are no legal complications with you or spouse and you take care with preparing documents, you don't need an immigration consultant. My in-laws had suggested a consultant (who was charging $3K at the time, 2013), but I rejected the idea.
However, if your spouse is abroad and cannot afford mistakes to keep you separate for long, you may opt to hire if you have disposable income.

frange

May 25, 2018
Hi,

Planning on sponsoring my wife for PR and be with me here in BC. Im wondering is it worth it to get the services of an immigration consultant? Did a google search roughly it will cost 4000-5000CAD. Did you apply by yourself or with a consultant? I would love to hear your thoughts.
No need unless you have money to throw out of windows

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020
Hi,

5k ?! That’s a lot for something that you can do alone.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi,

I agree with the others, a lot of $$ unless you are having a hard time understanding the forms, I suggest you review the forms and application package and if you can't figure it out then maybe you do need one but also keep in mind that there are a lot of people on this forum who are here to help people when they have questions about their app.

If you decide to get a consultant get lots of references first, many of them are not really knowledgeable and are only out to get your $$. Even with a consultant you are ultimately responsible for everything that is submitted to IRCC and you will not get faster processing by having one.

Reactions: Idrissrafd

cjr

Star Member
Oct 5, 2020
not.

If you have any attention to detail, decent reading skills, and can follow directions, there's nothing a representative can offer you other than a false sense of security, and a lighter wallet.

Read the forms thoroughly.

Read through them again.

Read through them a third time.

Read through the checklist.

Figure out which one of you is the Sponsor.

Figure out which one of you is the Principal Applicant.

Fill out a draft version of the forms.

Read through them again.

Fix what needs fixing in the draft version.

Let it sit a day or two.

Read through them again.

Read through the checklist again.

Fill out a good copy of the forms.

Let it sit a day or two.

Read through them again.

Read through the checklist again.

Congratulations, you've done a better job than just about any representative.

Use the money for something nice.

Fang_89

Star Member
Sep 22, 2020
No money in the world will make a consultant care more about your application than YOU do. Just be sure to read everything carefully and check...and re-check everything before submitting it and you'll be fine!

We had the same question 8 months ago and now I'm glad we didn't pay all that money. Instead it'll be used for rent and food.

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
I agree with everyone here pretty much. This is /was a passionate thing for me and I will submit this week and got so much support here and wouldn't have wanted to do it any other way.

I will be in tears when I send it with my wife and even if I were extremely rich I wouldn't have wanted anyone else to work on it.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I agree with the others, a lot of $$ unless you are having a hard time understanding the forms, I suggest you review the forms and application package and if you can't figure it out then maybe you do need one but also keep in mind that there are a lot of people on this forum who are here to help people when they have questions about their app.
I largely agree, I looked at getting a consultant but then realised I'd still end up doing most of the legwork myself.

The one suggestion I can make that's perhaps a bit different: iterate. Don't do it all at once but multiple times, solving and fixing a problem/something missing each time.

-Get the package. Go through the forms, start by filling stuff out that is obvious to you.

-Make notes of a few things: first, stuff you don't understand - don't freak out, it's intimidating at first. Second, stuff you will need to get (documents external etc). Third, stuff that you will need to provide that takes some work and thought (letters of explanation, photos, etc).

-Start to get those docs. Go back and try to figure out the stuff you didn't understand the first time. Don't try to solve all of the unknowns to you at once - one at a time (here with questions or however). DON'T try to ask all your questions at once.

-Key point: when you're going back, CHECK the stuff that seemed easy to you at first. Sometimes you realise (when you solve the things you didn't understand) that you made mistakes or put wrong information.

-Take breaks when you figure stuff out. Iterate - go back and start over, checking. The stuff that seemed completely weird and intimidating is probably starting to make sense.

-When you have a lot of the unknowns/questions solved (and as you get the docs you need), start to do the 'longer stuff' - photos, letters of explanation, 'intent to move to Canada stuff'.

-As you get the docs you need, 1) go back to the checklist frequently, and 2) keep a 'table of contents' of all your additional docs and extras - what goes where.

-Iterate again and repeat everything. Do not ignore the CHECK everything multiple times step.

-When you're getting close to end, check against the table of contents and checklist. Check the final versions of forms. Check the signatures. Check the docs again.

-BEFORE SENDING: make scans or photocopies of EVERYTHING. In the absolute, last, final version - including signatures. If you find that tedious, take it to a shop and have them do it. (You do not want to send it and then be worried that you didn't attach something, or not be certain you signed, or your electronic intermediate versions were changed and you do not know what was actually in the final version).

-One last read through and check everything.

It's not hard but a lot easier to take more time and do it in chunks.

esam99

Nov 4, 2020
I largely agree, I looked at getting a consultant but then realised I'd still end up doing most of the legwork myself.

The one suggestion I can make that's perhaps a bit different: iterate. Don't do it all at once but multiple times, solving and fixing a problem/something missing each time.

-Get the package. Go through the forms, start by filling stuff out that is obvious to you.

-Make notes of a few things: first, stuff you don't understand - don't freak out, it's intimidating at first. Second, stuff you will need to get (documents external etc). Third, stuff that you will need to provide that takes some work and thought (letters of explanation, photos, etc).

-Start to get those docs. Go back and try to figure out the stuff you didn't understand the first time. Don't try to solve all of the unknowns to you at once - one at a time (here with questions or however). DON'T try to ask all your questions at once.

-Key point: when you're going back, CHECK the stuff that seemed easy to you at first. Sometimes you realise (when you solve the things you didn't understand) that you made mistakes or put wrong information.

-Take breaks when you figure stuff out. Iterate - go back and start over, checking. The stuff that seemed completely weird and intimidating is probably starting to make sense.

-When you have a lot of the unknowns/questions solved (and as you get the docs you need), start to do the 'longer stuff' - photos, letters of explanation, 'intent to move to Canada stuff'.

-As you get the docs you need, 1) go back to the checklist frequently, and 2) keep a 'table of contents' of all your additional docs and extras - what goes where.

-Iterate again and repeat everything. Do not ignore the CHECK everything multiple times step.

-When you're getting close to end, check against the table of contents and checklist. Check the final versions of forms. Check the signatures. Check the docs again.

-BEFORE SENDING: make scans or photocopies of EVERYTHING. In the absolute, last, final version - including signatures. If you find that tedious, take it to a shop and have them do it. (You do not want to send it and then be worried that you didn't attach something, or not be certain you signed, or your electronic intermediate versions were changed and you do not know what was actually in the final version).

-One last read through and check everything.

It's not hard but a lot easier to take more time and do it in chunks.
and if u dont want to do all that... hire a consultant

• Haha
Reactions: armoured

Fang_89

Star Member
Sep 22, 2020
and if u dont want to do all that... hire a consultant
The thing is, the consultant will still get you to do a lot of the heavy lifting. Finding documents and proofs will still be your responsibility, they'll basically just give you a nice checklist and review your documents to make sure everything is there and matches the requirements.

Some immigration lawyers offer a document review service that is much cheaper but can still give you peace of mind before you send everything out.

Reactions: cjr and armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The thing is, the consultant will still get you to do a lot of the heavy lifting. Finding documents and proofs will still be your responsibility, they'll basically just give you a nice checklist and review your documents to make sure everything is there and matches the requirements.
This was why ultimately I decided against it, I realised I was still going to end up collecting and providing all the information and documents (maybe they would've handled translations etc but a pretty hefty mark-up for that), including typing out all the information that wasn't covered in documents already.

And I am perhaps repeating but the forms etc seem enormous and overwhelming at first but when broken down into smaller tasks (reiterate), it's mostly not complex at all.

For those who do decide to use a consultant or lawyer to prepare:
-The applicant and sponsor are 100% responsible for everything - any mistakes, omissions, etc are your problem (including potentially serious consequences if anything untruthful). Meaning: the sponsor and applicant MUST check everything carefully anyway. (And if anything the consultant suggests or writes doesn't seem correct or truthful or whatever - check. It'll be your fault if IRCC decides it's a misrepresentation).

-Don't sign those documents until you're sure they're correct and accurate.

-Make sure to get a COMPLETE copy of ALL documents submitted by the lawyer/consultant - the complete package. (We sometimes see stories here of applicants not being sure what was submitted, and trying to get it afterwards if the relationship with the consultant is not good - well, that's the wrong time to try and get it.)

-Make sure you and the consultant/representative know who will do what after the application is submitted. Frankly after that the applicant has probably paid all or most of the money, and the representative is only going to do the basics. And also: some applicants have unrealistic expectations of what the reps are going to do - mostly about 'checking in' and letting them know what's happening. The reality is that most of the spousal sponsorship process is waiting and worrying, and there is not that much the rep can do - and they're not going to do that every day for free. (And most of the time they are not going to order gcms notes, explain the gcms notes, or contact the MP, or call IRCC and inquire, etc., etc, unless it's for extra money).

Reactions: cjr and Fang_89

Fang_89

Star Member
Sep 22, 2020
This was why ultimately I decided against it, I realised I was still going to end up collecting and providing all the information and documents (maybe they would've handled translations etc but a pretty hefty mark-up for that), including typing out all the information that wasn't covered in documents already.

And I am perhaps repeating but the forms etc seem enormous and overwhelming at first but when broken down into smaller tasks (reiterate), it's mostly not complex at all.

For those who do decide to use a consultant or lawyer to prepare:
-The applicant and sponsor are 100% responsible for everything - any mistakes, omissions, etc are your problem (including potentially serious consequences if anything untruthful). Meaning: the sponsor and applicant MUST check everything carefully anyway. (And if anything the consultant suggests or writes doesn't seem correct or truthful or whatever - check. It'll be your fault if IRCC decides it's a misrepresentation).

-Don't sign those documents until you're sure they're correct and accurate.

-Make sure to get a COMPLETE copy of ALL documents submitted by the lawyer/consultant - the complete package. (We sometimes see stories here of applicants not being sure what was submitted, and trying to get it afterwards if the relationship with the consultant is not good - well, that's the wrong time to try and get it.)

-Make sure you and the consultant/representative know who will do what after the application is submitted. Frankly after that the applicant has probably paid all or most of the money, and the representative is only going to do the basics. And also: some applicants have unrealistic expectations of what the reps are going to do - mostly about 'checking in' and letting them know what's happening. The reality is that most of the spousal sponsorship process is waiting and worrying, and there is not that much the rep can do - and they're not going to do that every day for free. (And most of the time they are not going to order gcms notes, explain the gcms notes, or contact the MP, or call IRCC and inquire, etc., etc, unless it's for extra money).
So true! We were originally going to get a lawyer for around 5000$ (!!!) and stopped after receiving a contract he prepared that had mistakes in it, including our own names misspelled. This is when I realized that no one would care as much about our application than my spouse and I. We did everything on our own and are now done. If you are careful and check everything a couple of times before sending it out, you'll be fine.

Reactions: cjr and armoured