+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Timeline for RTD applications - For urgent travel reasons

Kaisa_18

Nov 26, 2018
AOR Received.
08-03-2019
Hello,
I am starting a thread for RTD applications' timeline post-Covid19.

At the moment, refugees in Canada can only get travel document services if they have a valid reason to travel urgently. Let's keep each other posted on the process, tips or any hiccups along the way.

Kaisa_18

Nov 26, 2018
AOR Received.
08-03-2019
I will start :

1- Sent a web form to IRCC explaining the reason for travel, estimated date of travel and supporting documents.
2- in two business days I got an email from IRCC advising that they have forwarded the request to the responsible office and that I should get an invitation to submit my application via Canada Post's epost Connect™ in 5 business days.
3 - I received the epost message; and they asked to upload all my documents via the website (you can upload up to 1GB). Here is a copy of the requested documents

To help make sure your application is processed in a timely manner we encourage you to submit your completed application and all necessary documents at once.

1) To save time, complete your application form on a computer and then print it. Be sure to sign each page of the application.

2) Include the following documents with your application form:
- Adult and Child Applications
- photo or scan of your proof of immigration status in Canada
- photocopy signed by guarantor or photo of your original document to support your identity (front and back)
- photos or scan of 2 identical passport photos (front and back of both photos) - photos must be in a .jpg format with a minimum size of 1Mb and cannot exceed maximum 4Mb - on the back of 1 photo: - there must be a signature from the guarantor, and - the photographer must write - the photographer's name, address and postal code - the date the photo was taken - Read the full requirements for more information.
- Photo or scan of online payment receipt or tracking number of couriered package (if applicable)
- Additional Documents for Child Applications : photo or scan proof of parentage or proof of legal guardianship (if applicable) - or scan all documents that refer to the custody of, mobility of, or access to the child

3) Pay your fees online or send a money order via mail following the submission of your application via ePost Connect. - If you are paying via the online payment tool, make sure to send a photo or scan of your receipt via ePost Connect.
If you are sending your payment by regular mail make sure to mark the package with "EPOST" so we can easily find it.
By regular mail: OSC PPT-COI (ePost) PO Box 8783 STB T CSC Ottawa, ON, K1G 5G8 - If you are sending your payment by courier, make sure to send your tracking number via ePost so we can easily find it. By courier: Centralized Network ? Certificate of Identity Section (ePost) Place du Centre, commercial level 2 200, promenade du Portage Gatineau, QC, J8X 4B7

4) Once you have completed your application submission via ePost Connect you must return any valid Canadian travel document issued in the applicant's name in the last 5 years or valid foreign travel document/national passport before the new Refugee Travel Document or Certificate of Identity can be released. -
If you are returning your travel document/national passport by regular mail make sure to mark the package with "EPOST" so we can easily find it. By regular mail: OSC PPT-COI (ePost) PO Box 8783 STB T CSC Ottawa, ON, K1G 5G8 - If you are returning your travel document/national passport by courier, make sure to send your tracking number via ePost so we can easily find it. By courier: Centralized Network ? Certificate of Identity Section (ePost) Place du Centre, commercial level 2 200, promenade du Portage Gatineau, QC, J8X 4B7
I got my guarantor to sign the application, photo and then took photos of everything by my phone since I don't have scanner and uploaded everything by replying to the same message.

I paid the fees online ($120), and I don't have a valid RTD so I didn't mail anything.

4 - I'm not sure if they will contact me if they approved my file/uploads or if they start processing my application. I will update this thread of any changes, fingers crossed!

Last edited:

Keliwal

Star Member
Mar 23, 2019
Thanks for this. What about renewing your RTD? My RTD is going to expire in two months and I want to travel urgently. A friend told me that they need a confirmed ticket to consider your travel urgent? Any idea in how many days they will process and send you new RTD?

Kaisa_18

Nov 26, 2018
AOR Received.
08-03-2019
Any idea in how many days they will process and send you new RTD?
I created this thread to get an idea of the average processing time, I remember reading somewhere that it will take around 2 weeks after receiving your complete file but I imagine it depends on your travel date.

Renewing is similar to applying for the 1st time, the only difference is if your RTD is still valid you must mail it to them when you submit the renewing request. Please read the instructions I quoted in the 2nd post.

-Once you have completed your application submission via ePost Connect you must return any valid Canadian travel document issued in the applicant's name in the last 5 years or valid foreign travel document/national passport before the new Refugee Travel Document or Certificate of Identity can be released. -
If you are returning your travel document/national passport by regular mail make sure to mark the package with "EPOST" so we can easily find it. By regular mail: OSC PPT-COI (ePost) PO Box 8783 STB T CSC Ottawa, ON, K1G 5G8 - If you are returning your travel document/national passport by courier, make sure to send your tracking number via ePost so we can easily find it. By courier: Centralized Network ? Certificate of Identity Section (ePost) Place du Centre, commercial level 2 200, promenade du Portage Gatineau, QC, J8X 4B7

I would recommend sending a web form to explain the reason for travel, with any supporting documents you have and wait to see if they would request additional documents such as flight ticket. Personally I didn't buy one & I don't know if this will make a difference.

You can send the web form from here
https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx ; and
  • select the category for a certificate of identity or a refugee travel document
  • include your travel date
  • include the reason you need urgent services

After sending the web form you should go through a similar process to mine, please refer to post #2

Good luck!

Besttee

Star Member
Nov 8, 2020
For those that have renewed their RTD with PR card, what's the appropriate to fill in the column SECTION 3: Proof of Immigration Status in Canada as the Document Number when option PR card is chosen? I have seen different opinion from people stating it is the UCI #,CoPR #, and the Alphanumeric at the back of PR card, so I'm kind of confused a little bit.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for this. What about renewing your RTD? My RTD is going to expire in two months and I want to travel urgently. A friend told me that they need a confirmed ticket to consider your travel urgent? Any idea in how many days they will process and send you new RTD?
Would not confirm tickets until you know whether your reason will be considered under urgent travel unless a close family member is near death or there is a funeral for a close family member like parent, grandparent or sibling which are likely to be considered urgent. Still would be scared to risk booking unless the flights are refundable or transferable. Just a reminder that you can’t travel to your home country.

skmcanada

Star Member
Apr 30, 2021
Do u know what questions they ask in specific please? my reference asked me to provide her with this info
How long they know you
Are you Married or Not
Where you live
How you know each other

No one knows what the verification officer can ask exactly but normally this kind of question they ask.

Reactions: Kaisa_18

Askhar131

Star Member
Dec 20, 2020
I will start :

1- Sent a web form to IRCC explaining the reason for travel, estimated date of travel and supporting documents.
2- in two business days I got an email from IRCC advising that they have forwarded the request to the responsible office and that I should get an invitation to submit my application via Canada Post's epost Connect™ in 5 business days.
3 - I received the epost message; and they asked to upload all my documents via the website (you can upload up to 1GB). Here is a copy of the requested documents

I got my guarantor to sign the application, photo and then took photos of everything by my phone since I don't have scanner and uploaded everything by replying to the same message.

I paid the fees online ($120), and I don't have a valid RTD so I didn't mail anything.

4 - I'm not sure if they will contact me if they approved my file/uploads or if they start processing my application. I will update this thread of any changes, fingers crossed!
How to show the urgency of the travel? Do they need any urgency documents or I should just explain and give my travel date? Did they aks for medical notes or anything like that?

Askhar131

Star Member
Dec 20, 2020
just explanation and date of travel
Ok,so no need to attach any documents when submitting web form, just explanation and dates of travel? some people including kaisa_18 seem to attach documents on webform, am not sure why they attach the documents if it isnt necessary.

Sakr77

Oct 6, 2020
Ok,so no need to attach any documents when submitting web form, just explanation and dates of travel? some people including kaisa_18 seem to attach documents on webform, am not sure why they attach the documents if it isnt necessary.
i didn't provide any documents.. i just explained the reason for my urgent travel and the date. I already received my RTD and i have left canada using it..

farsxp

Apr 19, 2019
I applied via mail a few months ago. Didn't hear back so I used the webform. One for myself and one for my wife. I received a reply confirming my request for epost but my wife received an email instructing her how to ask for urgent RTD(!). So she sent another webform.
I have not received the epost email yet. Do you think I can send my wife's RTD application along with mine via epost?